Recommend me a board game?

Pfft, I always like meeting virtual people so I can know they are real. Next year!

No after we play in our clean room with our bio-hazard suits we just incinerate the game… just to be sure. Of course we also play Pandemic Legacy with real viruses. Probably should finish that game soon.

LOL

In all honesty, I’ve found the groups “spits a little when they talk” and “board gamer” overlap too much for me to do anything with mouth stuff in games. The games where you put pieces on your body or touch other people, those I save for only my closest friends. :P

The ones where the orgies happen afterwards, of course. We’re adults.

Played Kanagawa tonight at my boardgame night and very much enjoyed it. It’s a Euro style collection game about painting a giant mural in the style of Hokusai. It has a couple fairly unique mechanics. One is a market that fills up with an additional row of cards each turn and you have the opportunity to wait a turn for more cards to be added or snatch the column of cards you want before someone else does. The other is a set of “diploma” tiles of ascending points in various categories. When your painting qualifies for a diploma (say, you’ve managed to paint 3 trees in your mural) you can take that diploma immediately, but if you decide not to, you never have the chance to grab it later; you must go for the higher-point, harder to get diplomas requiring 4 or 5 trees. There’s also only one of each diploma, so you can have stuff stolen from you before you get to it. The game has you juggling a lot of different factors and trying to second guess other players who might swipe stuff you want, but at the same time the core choice (which set of cards to take when) is nicely limited, though not always remotely easy.

@Nesrie turned me on to that one, probably way upthread somewhere. I like it a lot. It’s in the same chill laidback category of picturesque Japanesia* as Tokeido and Takenoko, where I don’t really care if I’m losing because it’s like ASMR for my eyes.

-Tom

* Might not be an actual word

Haha, “ASMR” for the eyes." Very apt. I wish I liked Tokaido more than I do, because it’s so lovely to look at.

I still enjoy Kanagawa a lot more than Tokaido. Tokaido is really great as a social, non-gamer game. It fits in there with groups that like to play bridge or rummy or not cut-throat pinochle but what they’re really doing is getting together to socialize. All these games are gorgeous which I appreciate but I haven’t actually had a chance to play Takenoko yet. I came so close to getting it during a Christmas game exchange too!

I recently got Flamme Rouge and got to try it this week-end.

It’s really simple to learn, plays quickly (which means it leaves you wanting more and you end up playing a second game). It turns out to be a lot of pretend cycling and hand / resource management fun.

I’m looking forward to playing some more soon.

My 15 year old son and I also got our behinds handed to us in the final base game scenario of Arkham Horrow: the card game. Let’s just say the story didn’t end well for anyone.

So we’re planning to go back in, possibly with different investigators. We’re loving breaking out the game and playing a scenario here and there. And I’ve replayed some of the scenarios solo and enjoyed those too. So I haven’t felt the need to break out the expansion I bought yet. Decent replayability for a story focused card game.

Wendelius

I have some neigbors who have helped out my family and I want to get them a board game. He is a hardcore cyclist and just completed a race across America in something insane like 12 days. I looked for a copy of Flamme Rouge at Dice Tower Con, but it is still hard to find in the States. I think Stronghold Games is bringing it over though.

I know I have heard of a couple of other cycling games. Do any of you have any other recommendations? The family likes boardgames somewhat. Usually in the Ticket to Ride weight.

Forget the game, more about this! That’s averaging something lime 275 miles a day, assuming cutting from like New York to San Francisco.

He’s insanely dedicated.

http://toone2017.com/2017/06/27/2017-race-summary/

3rd place in my category, 4th overall, 1st American

Time: 10 days, 2 hours, and 53 minutes

Avg speed: 3070 miles at 12.64 mph

Man, I did a 100 mile race in just under 6 hours, and I was tired after that. Just getting a little over 2 hours of sleep a night for 10 days is brutal on its own. I’m more than impressed, I’m in awe.

Yeah. It’s beyond comprehension. He got hit by a car biking home miles from work as a university instructor. In the hospital a week or so. Then I think within a week of getting out he was cycling again.

It’s hard on his wife and family sometimes as you can imagine as it takes a lot of time, but they are all so kind and have assisted with my kids many times.

Anyway. He’s unassuming and appears normal in most respects, but he has to be at least part cybernetic.

Or alien. Let’s not rule that out.

Or Neanderthal.

Welcome to Qt3. if you aren’t some wretched spambot, dreg of society, feel free to swing by the New members, meet new friends. Welcome! thread and tell us a little about your non-spambotty self.

We don’t ask any personal questions about losing your virginity, preference for rare vs well done steak, pineapple on pizza, or any other highly volatile or problematic avenues of discussion, but if you want to share that sort of stuff I guess that’s okay too.

You’re the best.

I used to love chess but don’t play it near as much these days. Not sure my old brain can still cope with it. :/

But I have replaced or with a wall of board games I can pick from for varied audiences.

If you ever wonder: what could be a good boardgame for a group of 6 friends who enjoy light hearted banter and bluffing, or 3 friends who really enjoy resource management and post apocalyptic worlds, we can probably find an answer for you.

If you ever want to try out some new boardgames, don’t be afraid to ask for advice.

Yeah, I loved chess but nowadays it just feels a little bit too constrained. The determinism of it all makes for a really repetitive heuristic when playing, more about predictions and slow projection of control and less about having to plan to deal with the unexpected.

I actually think a lot of the value in chess is extrinsic. As you say, it’s the most professional boardgame. Which doesn’t make it the best, just the one that is played professionaly most often.

Well welcome. If you’re interested in the subject of board games, may I point you to the current active thread?

https://forum.quartertothree.com/t/boardgaming-in-2019/139349/1402

And I know there are some fans of Star Realms around. We used to run a league for it even.