Recommend Me a PC Game Please

So, this is for indecisive people like me who are trying to pick 1 game to buy or I suppose to pull off the backlog. OK, I thought we had a thread for this, but I can’t find one. There is one for board games and at least 1 console platform.

First question. I’m hankering to play an action game - it could be 1st or 3rd person. I tend to not like things that are too fast paced, but the newest Doom was OK. I also don’t like it when I have to remember too many combinations of key presses. My thoughts so far:

New

1. Prey: Is this worth getting now or is this a wait for the price drop kinda game?

2. The Surge: I do like Lords of the Fallen.

3. Dark Souls 3 Season Pass: I did love DS3 (and the rest of them), but I’ve been hesitant to want to replay most of the game from scratch to get to the new content. I feel like I’m too rusty to continue a save game.

4. Shadow Warrior 2: I thought the first one was decent, but not great. It got too repetitive so I bailed about 2/3 of the way through.

Already Own

1. Fallout 4: I have the Season Pass. Thought the main campaign was pretty good but not great. I was thinking playing in survival mode might be better, plus I now have the extra content that I didn’t have before.

2. Lords of the Fallen: I beat the game with a Warrior. It’s been a while so maybe it will feel fresh enough to play again but as a different class.

3. Uncharted 2 (and then maybe 3): I know, this isn’t a PC game. I’m probably halfway through Uncharted 2.

4. Warhammer® 40K: Space Marine: I have no idea what this is like or how good it is.

I’m OK spending a little money if what I’m getting will give me more enjoyment than something I have, but if the games I already own are better than the potential ones to buy then no point in spending any money now. Shadow Warrior 2 going on sale is what prompted this decision. So I’m curious what seems like the best choice to you guys. Or is there a highly anticipated action game coming out soon that would be better to wait for?

I very much enjoyed this. For the Emporah!
But if it doesn’t grab you in the first hour, shelve it and move on.

I just started playing The Surge, but I recommend it based on what I’ve played so far. I loved Shadow Warrior 2, and I think it’s much more varied and fun than the previous one, but YMMV. And if you liked Lords of the Fallen, another playthrough is certainly a nice idea.

Space Marine is really cool, but although stopped about midway through the game, and I don’t remember the reason. I should get back to it, because I remember really enjoying what I played of it.

I’d recommend getting Warframe. Bonus, it is free to play.

Regarding Prey I’d wait for them to either drop it heavily in price, or for them to remove Denuvo.

The Uncharted(s) are a good choice; Think UC2 is the weakest of them though, but, got to do them all…

1. Prey - excellent, slow paced and not a lot of keys
  2. Shadow Warrior 2 - excellent, fast paced and a lot of keys. also may be repetitive.
  3. The Surge - kind of bland
  4. Dark Souls 3 DLC - you already played the base game, if you have to play it again to use this - not worth it

See thread title…

It was in Rob’s OP.

None of those games are doing much for me @robc04. Of those, I hve played most of them and enjoyed them to some degree, but none of them really blew me away. I haven’t touched Surge or Prey yet though, but they don’t tickle me when I watch videos so I’ll probably wait for a significant sale before I dive in.

Probably Fallout 4 is the best game on this list, but it’s not like an amazing RPG or anything. It’s fun though.

EDIT - Did you play The Witcher 3 yet? Probably the closest and best game for what you are describing.

One of the worst recommendation posts in a recommendation thread!

Yep, and loved it. It was my GOTY. Same for the expansions.

So far there is quite the variety in the recommendations!

Warframe is actually a nice recommendation. It’s a pretty solid game, and it doesn’t have a lot of keys. The price (free) is right, and as far as free-to-play games go, it’s pretty fair with its paid vs free content.

How about Dishonored/Dishonored 2? Or Dues Ex Mankind Divided (A-) or Human Revolution (A+)?

If I had the choice to do it again, I would not play Fallout 4.

I’m guessing you’re looking for single player games, based on the list. But if multiplayer-only games are an option, PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds might be worth a look. 100 players parachute out of a plane to a huge island, scrounge around for gear, and try to kill each other. Last man standing wins. Conflict is ensured by herding the players into a tighter and tighter area as the match goes on.

It’s great, and you already own it! Play that!

Warframe is also a solid choice.

You go, girl!

Anyway I agree with trying Space Marine. The game doesn’t change after the first 2 hours so you’ll know quickly.

Played those too :-)
Liked Dishonored 1 and 2 more than Deus Ex. The latest Deus Ex was kinda disappointing to me.

Honestly it sounds like what you want is Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

Yeah, multiplayer isn’t my thing.

I think I’ll try Space Marine since it’s getting multiple votes and it doesn’t look too long on “How Long To Beat”. I’m tempted by Shadow Warrior 2 since its on sale, but I’m hoping it leads one of the Humble Monthlies soon. I think I’ll at least like SW2 for a bit until I get tired of it. Maybe I’ll pick up DS3 Season Pass to play after a little more times passes. Maybe I can deal with continuing a save.

I guess I also want to try and play the Uncharteds so I can try and unload my PS3 while it still has a little value.

This is where I nod my head. I purchased Fallout 4 and witcher 3 at the same time, and while I knew F4 wouldn’t be quite as good as W3, it was an embarrassment (by comparison. On it’s own it was merely mediocre). Given limited time, I definitely would avoid F4 unless you’re quite bored, AND it’s super-cheap.

I think you may be right, but I don’t want to buy a console. I barely use them. But, maybe when it becomes cheaper and if there are more games on it that I want to play then I’ll pick up a used one.