Recommend me a rice cooker

I have no idea what massaging and polishing is, but if you mean rinsing it and swirling it around using a rice strainer, and picking out the little bad bits of rice, yeah, that’s a good idea.

From what I can tell, it basically gets the powdery stuff off the rice that isn’t good.

I have an ex-wife who actually was allergic to that stuff. It made her throat close up. She could eat rice, but only if it was well rinsed before cooking.

Pretty sure that powder is just rice starch.

I got my sister a Zojirushi a few years ago, she loves it.

I don’t have one - prefer old school covered stove method, usually because i’m making rice with X recipes. But i have cooked wild rice in the Instant Pot and it dies turn out well.

Yes, it is. But I’m pretty comfortable she’s not imagining it. I could tell the difference, based on how much the rice was cleaned, when she couldn’t even see whether it was being cleaned or not (because she wasn’t there for the cleaning).

I rinse, but my Japanese friend went well beyond mere rinsing. I’m not sure of the exact technique - the purpose is to remove the old bits of rice, the starch. I think it doesn’t cook as well.

Hey, Zojirushi has a rice wash tutorial! They say make a claw and swirl 30 times without water.

The starch makes it stick together, which you may want for sticky rice or if you’re eating with chopsticks and aren’t really adept at them but otherwise should be rinsed. I generally rinse until the water comes out clear.

I basically have this, and it works really well.

41TDja0WWKL

https://www.amazon.com/Inomata-Japanese-Washing-Strainer-quart/dp/B00N2WERLG

The holes are smaller than a regular colander, so the rice doesn’t get stuck or fall through.

I just use a bowl, you don’t really need to be precious about it.

I don’t see what’s precious about it? I want the stuff off my rice, not mixed around with the rice and then half dumped off while I try to strain it with a lid or something. Is it precious to use a colander for other foods?

No need to get offended, just saying that sort of thing really isn’t necessary. Like coffee or anything else really, you can go to extreme lengths but there are diminishing returns.

I’m not offended, but it costs five bucks, fits into a colander, and actually lets the water sluice away. There’s times when you can go too far to not be fancy, and not have diminishing returns, but just have something not work as well. Like I said with my ex-wife, we really noticed a material difference, and we noticed a difference when she had no way of telling whether I had used it or not.

Hah, I read that as marital difference the first time.

I have way too much kitchen crap as it is, trying to avoid cluttering further with unitaskers. But if you make rice frequently, it makes a lot of sense.

It is possible that my failures as a rice cooker led to the demise of my marriage. ;p

On my model (and probably yours) I think it cycles through music->beeping->silent. Hold down the timer keep until you hear the next type of sound.

I use a ratio of one half cup of water for every quarter cup of oats. Usually I use 1-and-a-quarter cups of oats and two-and-half cups of water, then about 3 tsps of salt. Stir, close cover, put it on porridge setting and then set timer. This makes two hearty servings.

This results in a pretty thick oatmeal, which is how I like it. If you prefer it looser, obviously add water.

I used rolled oats usually but steel cut also work. Enjoy!

I have exactly that same rice strainer. It works great. It’s a colander with smaller holes. I use it as such, or sometimes just a bowl, so it doesn’t really waste space as though it is a single use item.

Alex it is funny you would post this picture, along with a profile pic from a Russian magazine about Russians trying to land jobs in London.

Perhaps you did so trying to gain a little ad revenue from cookspot.org?

I have a similar steamer. It sucks for most steaming duties as it requires a very large pot beneath it for the steaming. And no, you would not steam rice in that as the holes on the bottom are just way too big for that. Something with smaller holes would be better.

Can someone tell me wich one is the best

We have the 3 cup version of that and it is indeed awesome.

Fuzzy logic?