Recommend me a wallet

I don’t mind a big wallet, but ffs don’t sit on it. Over time it will have ill effects on your back. Keep it in the front pocket.

Personally I have gone with a low profile modified bill clip and small card holder. I’d post a link, but the company I bought from has stopped selling them.

Edit: I was wrong about the company no longer selling them. http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/clothes-workwear/mens/more-accessories-for-men/91057.aspx?feature=product_14

I need a new wallet and those look great. Do you have the leather hybrid or nylon? Does the “rubberized coating” stuff on the inside hold up well without disintegrating?

I’ve been trying to find a replacement for my current wallet (now starting to wear out), which I’ve had for a little over ten years, and love. It’s very minimalist, thin, and small. It’s a leather bi-fold; one side holds a drivers license, the other side holds credit cards, and that’s it. I don’t keep a lot of stuff in my wallet, and this one suits my needs perfectly. I don’t think the company that made it is still around, though.

Annoyingly, I’ve had a hard time finding another wallet like it. Most of the bi-fold wallets I’ve seen come with a cash pocket, which I don’t need (I never keep cash in my wallet), and which basically doubles the thickness of the wallet. Or they come with various extra flaps that, again, make the wallet thicker. I’ve seen some “front pocket” wallets that are closer to what I want, but they all come with a big metal money clip, often magnetic. That makes it impossible to put the wallet in your back pocket, and I’m not going to store my credit cards next to a big magnet, in any event. Fossil has one that comes close to what I want, but it looks like the ID holder is on a flip-up flap, and it says it has a bill compartment (though I can’t see one in the photo), so I’m not sure that I’d want to get it without seeing it in person first.

Finally, after a lot of searching, I found this wallet, which is an almost exact duplicate of the one that I have now. The price is a bit steep at $48, but I’m beginning to think that it’s the closest match I’m going to find.

Ben, this All-Ett is pretty close to what you want. Yes, it has a cash pocket, but since the interior stuff is all super-thin nylon, that doesn’t add much to the size – it’s 1/16" thick empty. $24, too. (Or for $15, there’s this one, which is just a card holder. It’s a little thicker in leather, though, because it uses leather inside instead of nylon.)

This better be good, Ephraim!

It may be skinny, but it looks like it’s 1 and a half times the size of a normal wallet, unless the girl in that video has very very very tiny hands.

I think I’m going to get the Big Skinny L-Shape wallet. 95% of the time I only need access to my everyday credit card, grocery card, cash or ID, so I can just tuck everything else away under the L-flap. Since the flap adds a little bulk, I’ll try the thin nylon fabric instead of leather hybrid.

If it had velcro, it would almost be like being back in high school.

I’ve got 20 cards in my All-Ett – I think it could probably do 40, and definitely if some of the cards are business card thick rather than credit card thick. The material is small but the available space is pretty large, and it’s a very efficient layout.

I loved my Big Skinny wallet until the cards starting falling out of the slots. I’m leery of buying another.

Did the rubberized coating not keep things in, or perhaps you had an earlier model without the coating?

I love Etsy.

Yeah I don’t think there was any coating at all.

Whoops! Realized that I forgot to include a link to the wallet that I found that is pretty much identical to my current wallet.

mkozlows: Yeah, I did look at the Alt-Ett, but none of their wallets are quite in the configuration I’m looking for. The one that you posted isn’t quite right–no ID window, and like the other billfold-pocket wallets, it’s taller than an ID or credit card, to accommodate the cash. I also prefer leather. Yeah, I know: I’m picky.

This Alt-Ett is the closest thing they have to what I want, but it has kind of the opposite problem. It looks like it’s sized more for business cards, so the ID card sticks out of the top of its sleeve. It also has just one pocket for credit cards. Which isn’t a dealbreaker, I guess, but I do like the configuration on my current wallet (and also the one pictured above), where there’s a large pocket for multiple cards that I don’t use often, and a single-card pocket for my debit card, which I use all the time.

OTOH, the Alt-Ett is considerably cheaper.

That’s same configuration I use.

I’ve had this years-long friendly argument with a few guys about wallet and keyring sizes. Some of us argue that a thin wallet & small set of keys is a sign of power - you don’t need to carry any more, just one copy of the highest authorization of everything, your lackeys can carry the rest. Others argue that a lot of cards & keys is a sign of great responsibility - lots of stuff means you’re entrusted with many things.

“With great wallets come great responsibility.”

The only things I keep in my wallet are as follows:

Driver’s license
Debit card
Credit card
Key card for daycare
Alumni ID (which I could probably take out)
Medical insurance card
Punch card for the coffee shop (buy 10 lbs. of beans, get the 11th free!)

Sometimes I’ll stick other stuff in there, like if someone gives me a business card. But I typically take stuff like that out as soon as I get home.

Might save you time if you just measure your penises directly instead of by proxy.

FWIW, the ones I linked to were leather – the inside lining of the one is the nylon, but the outside is leather. But yeah, the other aspects are what they are.

Do you actually use the ID window? I had one with a window for a while, but found tha tit was usually easier to just slip the ID out (given a wallet layout that makes that easy) and hand it over than to elaborately flash my wallet at people.

I do use it, yeah. Wegman’s has a policy of always asking for ID when you buy alcohol, no matter how old you look (I’ve seen them card senior citizens). So I flash it pretty often, though perhaps not as elaborately as I should. Usually I just set my open wallet down where they can see it while I swipe my card and enter my PIN.

We tried, but we can’t find measuring sticks longer than a meter.

“Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar.”

This thread seems to be all about the skinny, but here’s some new wallets from Oberon:

http://www.oberondesign.com/wallet.php

Not sure how thick they are, but one of these is on my Father’s Day wishlist.

-CJ