Recommend me an Android phone for 2020

Pretty much. I’m sharing the plan with my wife and two of my kids. I don’t think it would be cost effective to have two plans, and they just paid off their new(ish) phones.

Good point. I think IOS is the same way, but I’m not sure how much space Apple uses for the OS. I know it’s just always a little less, plus there’s that thing where the size of a disk is always smaller than the actual amount of space you get.

The OnePlus 7 Pro was the best phone of 2019, is as close as you can get to stock Android, and is a steal at 500 compared to the 1200 dollar phones it bests.

https://www.oneplus.com/7pro#/

I’ve always favored Pixels, but the OnePlus is so much better than the Pixel 4. Just battery life alone, combined with the best screen of the year at 90 Hz.

Ohhh, I love a bargain and I feel pretty much the same as you about pictures, video etc. I use my phone mostly to 1) text people 2) find my way and 3) entertain myself. I probably do 3 the most, but it usually just reading stuff online. 2 is crucial, but I usually end up going to the same places most days.

Thanks for the tip. I will definitely add the Moto G7 to list of options.

I really like Moto phones. I have a G7 Play and just bought a G8 Play for my wife. They’re “cheap” (nothing electronic in Brazil is ever cheap) and good enough for my needs.

Interesting discussion that has sparked me to look into my phone upgrades. I’m on Google Fi so the two choices I’m considering are the 3A which they sell for $300, or the Moto G7, which is $150. I will probably go with the Moto since I don’t do anything exotic with my phone.

I haven’t checked super-recently, but shortly before Christmas I had noticed Amazon had unlocked Pixels listed. Reputability of the sellers TBD.

Kiddo recently got a G7 and it seems like a solid phone. Motorola tweaks the interface and included apps a little bit from stock. Unlike the Pixel, bundled apps from the carrier were uninstallable. Being stock is one of the draws of the Pixel line for me, but the differences aren’t as crazy as they used to be.

I saw those! I wondered it if was worth it. It looked like it had a bunch of Amazon apps pre loaded, which to be honest sort of turned me off.

I think I am going to get a Moto G7. I can get a 32 G for $100. Looking at the specs, it beats my current iPhone 5 in most every respect. It has memory slot, bigger screen, and higher resolution.

I am not sure if it has a headphone jack or if it will allow me to pair my apple ear buds, but even if it doesn’t, it’s a low cost way to see if I like an Android phone. If I don’t like, I won’t feel bad about getting another iPhone.

This thread has been super helpful so far. I will let you guys know what I end up doing, but I appreciate your thoughts and responses.

Holy schmoly, is that a trade-in deal via AT&T, or are those phones just that cheap?

that cheap!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/compare?skus=6324289,6331397,6324277,6370444&url=%2Fsite%2Fsearchpage.jsp%3Fst%3Diphone%2B5%26_dyncharset%3DUTF-8%26_dynSessConf%3D%26id%3Dpcat17071%26type%3Dpage%26sc%3DGlobal%26cp%3D1%26nrp%3D%26sp%3D%26qp%3D%26list%3Dn%26af%3Dtrue%26iht%3Dy%26usc%3DAll%2BCategories%26ks%3D960%26keys%3Dkeys

What’s the difference between the G7 and the G7 Play?

I’m not sure how the various models stack up, but I found this:

I had a Motorola before I got my S10. It was a fine phone for years, and I would’ve gone another year but I started having trouble with the charging port.

I paid 485 for the S10, nowhere close to the retail. I think the Moto X I paid about 350 years go so it was a light step up. I almost went S10+ but then I convinced myself, I was getting an upgrade no matter what. That last piece made the decisions, memory card slot and a notable improvement.

OnePlus makes awesome phones, with nearly pure Android, fast and regular updates for a long time (my 5 still gets regular updates) and great specs for a really cheap price (relatively). The battery also lasts forever.

My sons and I have used various OnePlus phones since the 1, and none have disappointed. They are very durable too.

Nice choice! I think you’ll like it :) It does have a full-size headphone jack. And it should pair your Apple ear buds if they use standard bluetooth (which I think they do.)

Just for reference, here’s the SD Card I got for mine:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FCMKK5X/

And here’s the case:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M714553/

Both have worked great for me.

Best thing about Moto phones is the Moto gestures: chop twice to turn on/off your flashlight. Twist your wrist a couple of times to activate the camera. I use those all. the. time.

The Play is the budget model of the g7 series. Mostly it has a slightly smaller screen and half the RAM of the g7. Processor and OS is the same across the whole series though.

Another recommendation for OnePlus. Upgraded from the OnePlus 3 to the OnePlus 7 Pro last year and I’ve loved them both. I’m sad they appear to be moving away from the pop-up front camera going forward. I love the clean front that’s only display.

The kiddo’s “Moto G7 power” (to give you the exact model name) has a headset jack so you should be good there.

I got the impression part of the Pixel experience was Google requiring whoever is selling to not muck them up with non-standard UIs and apps, but I could be wrong. Or whoever is doing the refurb is mucking them up.

I also want something inexpensive and sturdy.

Pixel 3a for sure.

Samsung makes nice high end phones but they are about 2x as expensive.