Recommend me some Comixology

I’ve been getting into Comixology on the retina iPad, and I had a great time re-reading the Dark Knight Returns on it, and the Alan Moore run of Swamp Thing – both highlights of my teens.

I also read Walking Dead there, at least, new issues. Yes I was reading it before the tv series but that’s about the only “new” comic I’ve read in years.

So recommend me some classic runs or graphic novels that I can buy!

I’m a fan of the 1987-ish Justice League run (I think it starts out as just Justice League, then becomes Justice League International, or something). Art by Kevin Maguire. Funny stuff, especially the frat-boy interplay between Blue Beetle and Booster Gold, and an (extremely brief) fight between Batman and right-wing-nutcase Guy Gardner.

Also, the 1970ish Green Lantern/Green Arrow teamup is worth a look. A lot of it is painfully dated in the way it tries to be relevant to '60s social consciousness, but that’s part of the fun, and Neal Adams’s artwork is worth the price of admission.

Anything by Alan Moore is worth looking at, of course. I love his farewell ode to Silver-age Superman, ‘Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?,’ as well as his spoof of same in the mid-90s Supreme comic.

edit: Oh, didn’t know Comixology was a thing. Not sure if the above items are available on it.

Atomic Robo trades are very reasonably priced on Comixology, and they’re excellent.

I bought a complete run of Planetary off of Comixology, but I only see individual issues there now. That’s great if you haven’t read it.

I can’t recommend the new run of Prophet enough. Check out Orc Stain as well, the art is amazing and the writing is consistently good.

Y: The Last Man is there. It’s about a man who finds himself, well, the last human (and animal for that matter) with a Y chromosome on Earth. Also, Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis and Darick Robertson, which is about a gonzo journalist (think Hunter S. Thompson) in the near future.

You do have to buy individual issues though, which can be a pain in the ass (both series are 60 issues I think).

Because I’m on that kick right now, I will re-iterate Atomic Robo (especially since the Atomic Robo + Dr Dinosaur team up free comic appeared on Comixology a few weeks past).

Atomic Robo is amazing and everything that is good and decent and it’s rainbows and awesomeness and robots.

This is patently untrue. You are forgetting arguably the most charming character of the entire run - Ampersand.

All of the Fables are currently on sale ($0.99/issue). No clue whether anything past the war arc is worth reading.

I’d buy Transmet if it were in the collected editions. Buying the individuals is a pain. I’m planning on picking Scud: The Disposable Assassin up this weekend though. I’ve always wanted to read that one.

In digital, I find I actually like the individual issues better. Gives me much clearer chapter divides for a book like Wasteland, where it’s not always obvious where you’re supposed to have stopped reading for a month.

i liked the sword series. a young woman and her family is massacred. she goes out and tries to get revenge, only with a magic weapon added in. try and guess what the weapon is! a bit bloody. first issue free.

This seems like as good a place as any to ask: this weekend, I noticed that a couple of comics I’d bought some time ago (Atomic Robo and Chew Vol. 1) weren’t showing up in my comics library anymore. I haven’t read them in quite some time, so I was wondering if they were just hiding somewhere (do they auto-delete themselves to save space? If so, where can I see a list of what I have bought, not just what I’ve downloaded?), or if there was an issue with my account or something.

I’m new to Comixology as well, and I dunno if it’ll be your thing, but the recent Doctor Who/Star Trek: The Next Generation crossover comic was a ton of fun to read.

http://www.comixology.com/Star-Trek-The-Next-Generation-Doctor-Who-Assimilation/comics-series/7908

This seems like as good a place as any to ask: this weekend, I noticed that a couple of comics I’d bought some time ago (Atomic Robo and Chew Vol. 1) weren’t showing up in my comics library anymore. I haven’t read them in quite some time, so I was wondering if they were just hiding somewhere (do they auto-delete themselves to save space? If so, where can I see a list of what I have bought, not just what I’ve downloaded?), or if there was an issue with my account or something.

It could be an account thing. If you’re downloading via iOS, you can do it through your Apple ID rather than your Comixology ID. So it might be you’ve bought stuff on your Comixology ID that’s not showing up because you’re not logged in under that ID.

Alternatively, if it was bought on an Apple ID try searching the shop for stuff you’ve already bought. The button should say “READ” rather than the price if you’ve already bought it.

A (admittedly infrequent) series I’m absolutely nuts about is Witch Doctor. It’s like a mad combo of House and Hellboy.

In the “Store” screen, in the bottom right you should see an icon labelled “Purchases”. If you’re logged in, you should see everything you’ve ever bought, even if it’s not currently downloaded.

In the top left of the “Purchases” screen there’s a button labelled “Restore”, which I suspect does the standard “Restore In-App Purchases” needed when the application is deleted (or sometimes when an application updates and doesn’t do a good job managing data).

yeah, my account is currently set to half a gig, after which the oldest downloads are auto-removed, and need to be redownloaded to read. Not a big deal since it takes a few seconds a book.

Ok yeah, they’re still there in purchases, thanks.

My recommendation on Comixology is that the sales they do are a great deal… typically 99 cents per issue. If you don’t mind reading stuff that’s a little older, definitely the way to go. In my year of following the sales, just about everything that I’ve wanted to read from the past few years has come up on sale at one point or another.

Not sure about iPad, but the sales are not available through the Kindle app; you have to actually go to their website to get the deal. Presumably this has something to do with Amazon taking a cut of in-app purchases, so probably the same thing on iPad. You can follow their RSS feed to get notified when things do go on sale; the sales are often only 24 hours so you do need to pay attention.

Obligatory content: Locke & Key is the best thing I stumbled across in one of the sales… really outstanding.

Geoff

Speaking of sales, the Claremont/Miller Wolverine collection is 70% off today ($1.99).

I’ve been splurging quite a bit recently. Picked up all of Locke & Key and The Manhattan Projects, Ministry of Space, Gillen’s Uncanny X-Men and Journey Into Mystery, and the first issue of DMZ. Speaking of DMZ, Comixology doesn’t seem to have any collected edition available. Am I being dim? Because I really don’t fancy buying the whole run in individual issues.