Recommend me some Comixology

Yeah, that seems to be the case. I’m guessing here but it was probably added before they started doing collections and DC probably haven’t gone back to them with a request to add collections at a specific price.

I signed up for Marvel’s 700 #1 issue thing the other month, and Comixology finally stood up a bizarre go-to-a-web-page-then-come-back scheme for implementing it last week.

I was slightly disappointed that most of the “#1” issues are relatively recent or really ancient. I read Avengers #1 last night and also the very first Hulk story, and both were sort of what I was looking for – a glimpse back into the early 60s when comics were for kids rather than teens/adults. However, I was hoping to be able to go back and read Dazzler #1 from the early 80s, or ROM: Spaceknight, thus recapturing a sliver of my hazy and wasted youth. Sadly, there seems to be a massive gap between the first issues from the 60s and the (much more numerous) free first issues from the late 90s and 2000s.

Beyond that, I have to say that the “FREE 700 #1” thing (<-- apparently you are forced to capitalize “free”) is a great promotion for Marvel. As I almost randomly flit between these various comics that I never in a million years would have grabbed if they cost something, every once in a while I stumble on a story that I feel compelled to keep reading, so I buy the second issue, then the third… It’s really a great way to monetize their digital holdings.

They should try to monetize the 90s titles by making you buy each alternate cover version of the #1 titles separately. Virtual holofoil cover go!

Brubakers Sleeper and Incognito are really good.

You don’t have to do that too many times before the Marvel Unlimited thing starts to look like a pretty good deal. I’ve been thinking about subbing, but there’s still way too many gaps.

Is there anyone else who signed up for the Free #1 thing and haven’t received any mail yet? I’m starting to think I’m not going to get any…

So it seems Comixology’s DMZ collection weirdness just got weirder. Over the course of the last few months, it seems, they’ve been releasing various TPBs. But the trades that are currently available are 1 (normal and deluxe edition, with no indication of what’s in the deluxe edition beyond issue numbers), 4 and 5. Also, 4 was released before 1. Seriously, WTF?

…and Comixology has been hacked.

Dear Comics Reader,

In the course of a recent review and upgrade of our security infrastructure, we determined that an unauthorized individual accessed a database of ours that contained usernames, email addresses, and cryptographically protected passwords.

Payment account information is not stored on our servers.

Even though we store our passwords in protected form, as a precautionary measure we are requiring all users to change their passwords on the comiXology platform and recommend that you promptly change your password on any other website where you use the same or a similar password.

At this point, these events are so common that it’s crazy not to use a unique randomly generated password for each site.

Aw, I was hoping this thread was going to be about tandem bartending.

Mostly I pop in and check the sale page every few weeks these days…

I did want to mention many of the Daredevil collections are excellent. And not just the classic Frank Miller one with Nuke and everything, a bunch of them are genuinely great. I squee’d a bit when I learned the Nuke arc might be in the Netflix series…

Also, what did you guys think of Dark Knight III? That is one of the rare times I bought a new comic, issue by issue, as it came out. DK is up there with Watchmen for me, but DK 2 has not aged so well.

I really love the larger iPad Pro for comics, too, because I can read in landscape at full single page res, and when a double page layout kicks in, it already fits, no constant device rotation required like with the smaller iPad:

Concur this was the rare find that was outstanding. Sadly most comics are crap, at least by my mid 80s bar of Watchmen and Dark Knight. Maybe that is an unfair bar, but hey, nobody said life was fair.

I can recommend the Sin City series which I somehow missed back in the day.

https://www.comixology.com/Frank-Millers-Sin-City/comics-series/3161

One thing that I have always loved, and still love, is Strikeforce Moritiuri. So well written and far ahead of its time with the terrorism and regular people struggling with heroism combined with permadeath and political war propaganda.

https://www.comixology.com/Strikeforce-Morituri/comics-series/7992

If you know the series it didn’t end exactly well, but no monthly comic does in my opinion. A very solid run before petering out into nonsense though, as all comics tend to do.

Also thirding myself on simply watching the sale page regularly for interesting stuff to come up:

https://www.comixology.com/comics-sale

Any other recent Comixology recommendations from anyone?

I’ve been super disappointed with most comics I’ve bought lately. I dunno, maybe it’s me, and comics just aren’t that sophisticated any more, I’ve read / seen too much at my advanced age, or something.

Oh I almost forgot the one rare exception, I did really like this Vision series. It’s one of the few things I’ve bought on Comixology in the last year that stood out to me.

What about Marvel Unlimited? Any recs for that?

Check out Westward, and I’ve also quite liked the Long John Silver series.

New reads for me (not all new comics, but some I only got on board with in the last year).

Descender: Basically the premise of Battlestar Galactica but told from the points of view of a Cylon child and a bounty hunter. Unusual watercolour art style too.

Monstress: Wouldn’t normally be my cup of tea as it’s very fantasy, with a touch of Lovecraft. But the art is spectacular and so far the writing has been good, though I wonder how long I’ll stick with it.

Paper Girls: Timetravelling teen adventures from BKV.

Uber: Gillen-authored alternative WWII history with literal ubermenschen.

Seconded, all good stuff.