Recommend me some galaxy-spannning Science Fiction books!

Oh wow, I just realized this thread was one of the major victims of the switch-over timing. Most of the great recommendations in this thread were lost to the old Qt3 board now, since they happened in the two weeks of the switchover.

Well, this is the thread (on the old board) that I found out that Vernor Vinge had recently written a sequel to Fire Upon the Deep, one of my favorite science fiction books of all time that I read back in the early to mid-90s. I’ve introduced the book to a couple of my friends, and my family. But I even re-read it once around 2000. But it’s been about 16 years, and I’m pretty fuzzy on what happened in the book.

So now that I’m done reading all the Game of Throne books beginning to end, I was thinking of starting over Fire Upon the Deep before I read the new sequel. I also read Deepness in the Sky back when it came out. Should I be re-reading that too before I read the new one? I don’t remember what happened in that one at all, and when I read it, I didn’t understand why there was supposed to be a connection between that one and Fire Upon the Deep.