Recommend me some quality Metal

I went through all of those recently and had a blast with it. They’re awesome!!

Also, the Djent Genre has finally bequeathed upon us its greatest gift:

https://nickbroomhall.bandcamp.com/album/bartier-cardi-cover?fbclid=IwAR1JtihcEArp4fpa4ZkIuh7guMBfAVJ_QWsxIyWI2FXBBpw78fhpkKPrC28

Someone must have mentioned this album already, but I’m really digging on Soen’s new album “Lotus”. Very Pink Floydian, but is that a bad thing?

Not at all! It’s my favorite of last week too.

In fact I had above.

Yeah Soen is developing nicely into their own thing. Their video for Martyrs was quite unexpected too, posed last week.

Ah, there it is. I had not scrolled up far enough. Sorry.
But yeah, I was halfway through listening to the album on Youtube when I just kind of spontaneously went to Amazon and clicked the buy button. A rare thing for me.

I was actually jamming to this on the way home and enjoying it a lot. Already a top-notch February release for me :)

New Periphery:

Pardon me for crossing the streams but did you guys know that Devin Townsend is making a Ziltoid video game? And writing new music for it? I didn’t!

Herman as a playable character or GTFO

No I did not know, but it’s on the list now!

A week late, but I was playing catchup!

Some metals I liked in January, in no particular order.

• Soilwork - Verkligheten (Melodic Death Metal)
  • Born of Osiris - The Simulation (Progressive Metalcore)
  • Nailed to Obscurity - Black Frost (Deathy Doom Metal)
  • Helevorn - Aamamata (Doom Metal)
  • Evergrey - The Atlantic (Progressive Power Metal)
  • Arch Enemy - Covered in Blood (Melodic Death Metal)
  • Astrophobos - Malice of Antiquity (Black Metal)
  • Endolith - Chicxulub: The Fossil Record (Industrial Metal) (thx @Thraeg, who in general I have a high degree of overlap with this month)
  • A Swarm of the Sun - The Woods (Post-Metal)
  • Bring Me the Horizon - amo (Emocore Stadium Pop)

(lol)
  • Mono - Nowhere from Here (Post-Rock)
  • Swallow the Sun - When a Shadow is Forced Into the Light (Doomy Melodic Death Metal)
  • Mo’ynoq - Dreaming in a Dead Language (Atmospheric Black Metal)

Other, but marginally less good, good shit

• Jinjer - Micro (Progressive Metalcore)
  • Lost in Grey - The Waste Land (Symphonic Metal)
  • Dust Bolt - Trapped in Chaos (Thrash Metal)
  • Epitimia - Thread (Atmospheric Black Metal)
  • Trollfest - Norweigian Fairytales (Folk Metal)
  • Flotsam and Jetsam - The End of Chaos (Power Metal)
  • Lahmia - Resilience (Melodic Death Metal)
  • Gorgon - Elegy (Symphonic Death Metal)
  • Aver - Orbis Major (Psychedelic Rock)
  • The Crown Remnant - The Wicked King: Part II (Groovy Melodic Death Metal)
  • Soulmass - The Weakness of Virtue (Doomy Death Metal)
  • Gaslarm - Death Wish (Thrash Metal) (thx @Profanicus)
  • Imha Tarikat - Kara Ihlas (Black Metal) (ditto)
  • Hecate Enthroned - Embrace of the Godless Aeon (Symphonic Black Metal)

For reasons beyond fathoming, Papa Roach’s Jacoby Shaddix features on the lead single for Within Temptation’s new album, Resist.

For those waiting, he’s not physically present in the video, because it’s not like that would have made any sense, right?

I love Within Temptation, but these last two albums of theirs have bounced off me pretty hard, and I’m not sure why. Too loud maybe? Not enough symphonic? Too many guest vocalists? I don’t know.

OTOH, I’ve only played them through one time each, so maybe they need a few more spins.
Sometimes, my favorite records didn’t really grab me until years later for some unexplicable reason.
Their 2011 album “The Unforgiving” for example took months until it grabbed me, but when it finally got its teeth into me, it’s been one of my favorites ever since.

I need to give a few more spins sometime soon, but for now, I just got the new SOEN CD in the mail today, and getting it unwrapped and the big stereo warmed up!

The always odd Diablo Swing Orchestra has a new video.

Still adjusting to the new singer personally. She’s good, but doesn’t have quite the avenge garde edge of Annlouise

Still sufficiently trippy

Hmm, not enough of the new singer in this for me.

@ArmandoPenblade I believe you’re a fan of them, right? Any thoughts on the new singer?

I’m an Eluveitie fan - had no idea they were getting new vocals. I like the new song though.

And new Tyr! One of my favorites, am absolutely looking forward to the new album. Less than a month out now

Not bad. Better production than Sinklars Visa, though that is still their high water mark in terms of making me want to go raiding.

I think she actually showed up on Evocation II, didn’t she? Fabienne? Anyway, I do like her, though really, Anna Murphy was the best that Eluveitie has ever managed, and they were fools to push her and the others away. Thus far, I’m liking Cellar Darling’s output more than most of theirs. And I’d agree that there needs to be much more Fabienne on the new track, but then again, I’ve never actually liked Chrigel’s harsh vox very much. I like everything ELSE about the band a lot, so yeah, I do enjoy them, but I sure wish he’d content himself performing every other part of the album and let proper singers sing ;-)

Real damn good. I’d really like to see them again with working sound, haha. Hoping they’ll tour the US again before the year’s out.

I’ve spent most of the last week listening to Astronoid’s sophomore, self-titled release on loop. It really straddles a line between post-metal, rock, shoegaze, and maybe even emo, so it’s probably not to lots of people’s taste in this thread, but I fucking love it.

Yeah, nice track. Interesting. Not my taste tho and i wouldn’t call it metal.

Completely agreed on Astronoid.

Also, the new Saor is up in full on bandcamp in advance of the official release, and it’s so damn good.

The new Eluvieite one sounds like the sub 1 min filler tracks they have (grumbling about Roman legions/pseudo Celtic chanting/etc) and kinda stretched it out a bit.

I like the new vocalist though, there’s some lovely vocals on Evo II, Lgvs gets plenty of play in the car.