Recommend me some quality Metal

One interesting thing for me is that the video has a very strong McGurk effect (do you know how hard it is to google for that? Type visual sounds and you get a million ASMR vids) with the elephants.

I ‘hear’ them, despite when I close my eyes there is no actual low frequency thump from them.

March 2019 AotM

Very power-heavy month for me this time around. Who knows to what degree that’s due to the crop of releases vs. just what I was in the mood for. Very relieved to actually love new releases from a couple of my first wave of band discoveries from a few years ago when I started getting into metal. The recent albums from Primordial, Powerwolf, and Ancient Bards were on the underwhelming side for me, but Tyr and Iron Savior both came through this month.

Also fell a bit behind on stuff I want to listen to – haven’t had a chance to dig into Empath or the new Master Boot Record yet, nor the highly reviewed albums from Venom Prison and Gomorrah.

Steel

• Eternity’s End - Unyielding
  • Tyr - Hel
  • Iron Savior - Kill or Get Killed
  • Aephanemer - Prokopton
  • Frozen Crown - Crowned in Frost

Iron

• Demon Hunter - Peace
  • Cartographs - Wilt & Blossom
  • Brymir - Wings of Fire
  • Equipoise - Demiurgus

Bronze

• Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard - Yn Ol I Annwn
  • Ataraxie - Resignes
  • Bloodbound - Rise of the Dragon Empire
  • Ashen Horde - Fallen Cathedrals
  • Cellar Darling - The Spell
  • Hannes Grossmann - Sonic the Hedgehog Movie Soundtrack Apophenia

I sampled both of those and they didn’t do much for me. :)

But these sound great, thanks!

For my March faves, I really got into Sacred Monster’s weird blackened doom with the B-horror vibe and touches of King Diamond vocals. Pretty cool.

Other than that there was some great black metal released too…

Sacred Monster - Worship the Weird (doom)

Ultra Silvam - The Spearwound Salvation (black)

https://helterskelterproductions.bandcamp.com/track/birth-of-a-mountain

Sinmara - Hvísl Stjarnanna (black)

Vimur - Triumphant Master of Fates (black)

Frosthelm - Pyrrhic (blackened thrash)

Lucifera - La Caceria De Brujas (blackened thrash)

Amen to that.

Periphery released their whole album early online for free because it started to leak:

I don’t have much to say about the song because I just heard it for the first time about 1 minute ago, but the guy doing the official play through makes playing the guitar look like an extremely torturous process. Like, the more he riffs the harder the clamp clamps on his clamped testicles.

I like the sound and I like the look of the dude, but something seems off about that vid. It’s either slightly out of sync or you are not hearing what he’s playing.

I was unaware of the Ned Flanders-themed Okily Dokily until recently. Honestly, the music is kinda mediocre, but it’s worthwhile for the theme.

Having watched many a guitar video making stupid faces/gurning is mandatory.

I remember watching an instructional vid and the guy was chatting away and if he even played one note he would make start gurning it’s clearly some kind of weird tic you get from shredding

I never really know if I’m reposting something here because there’s usually way too much going on, but I just saw this and someone might enjoy it.

Well well, new Baroness.

New album due in June. I’m guessing it could be a double album again like Yellow & Green, given the name: Gold & Grey.

New track with new members:

Welp, I guess the Blue Album will really be the last time I’m interested in Baroness.

I liked this

So metal brethren- I went to an Alice in Chains concert. Been a fan of them since Facelift days but this was my first time seeing them live (with obvious singer change due to Staley’s death). Musically it was great. Played lots of classic songs that Iove and heard some newer stuff that was decent as well…

BUT…

All they did was just stand around and play instruments the whole concert. The crowd just kind of watched with hardly any movement. Lots of people on their phones. This was very strange to me as a metal concert dude. I’m used to so much more energy in the room. Headbanging guitarists, singers jumping around, mosh pits, etc. So then I think - maybe metal shows are just superior. But then I remember I saw Queen last year (with Adam Lambert) and that was a very entertaining show too. So, I’m not sure. But my first take is that metal concerts are far superior. That is all. :)

I think I’d watch Jerry Cantrell if it was just him stationary in a wheelchair with an acoustic guitar and feel like I got my money’s worth, but that could just be me.

Jerry was great and super talented. I didn’t feel ripped off or anything, I’m just noting the different vibe from my usual concert.

Fair.

Though even in the old days I think they were never really all that wild on stage if I recall.

So it was never quite the same vibe as a frisky metal show.

Concert without a mosh pit is a failed concert. I tried getting them to mosh to an orchestra playing bach but that didn’t fly.

There’s a new Eluveitie album out

Ticks all the boxes I want from an Eluveitie alumb, can see this on loop for sometime.