Recommend me some quality Metal

I’ve heard a lot of people say this, even though I personally dig Yellow & Green quite a bit–more than Intronaut’s and Kylesa’s efforts during this same time period anyway. I never outright disliked any of it, but Baroness’ efforts just worked better for me.

Here are three Purple tracks officially streamed by the band for the upcoming Baroness album coming Friday. It should help you get an idea where this might fall on the Yellow & Green // Red & Blue spectrum:

Purple:
Morningstar
Shock Me
Chlorine and Wine

I don’t own any Ghost albums, and although I’ve heard a lot of their work over the years. And although I know they aspire to keep things anonymous, I didn’t realize they were actually changing vocalists every album. I mean, I knew the guy would always rechristen himself every tour or something, but I didn’t know it was an actual new person taking up the mic. I just never paid close enough attention.

Under any other circumstance that would be sort of ballsy, as people tend to get attached to a band’s frontman, so to speak. But since this guy is all but a mystery, I guess that’s a bit harder to do.

So it looks like you may have the right of it, kerzain. I’d been willing to take the PR pieces at face value, and most news outlets reported the changeover as factual, but there’s a lot of guys out there saying it’s the same dude in new robes.

Oh well, egg on my face! The album’s still great, though!

I always preferred Edge of Sanity to Opeth back then.

I’m not sure you can reliably say that one influenced the other. More likely both Swano and Akerfeldt had similar influences (i.e. prog rock), and they both started around the same time in the same area, have played in the same band, and worked on each others records. They pioneered the progressive death metal together.

I wasn’t calling you out, I took what you said at face value. I was just expressing my surprise.

Nah, no offense taken or anything. I’d taken what I’d read at face value and was really impressed by their ability to weather change, but your post inspired a little more serious searching around that uncovered the more likely explanation. Always nice to learn something new :)

Have you tried Amon Amarth? I’ve never listened to Elysian, but based on this song you posted, it sounds as if Amon Amarth might be worth a listen.

AA is branded as Viking Metal, but don’t let that confuse you at the suggestion. Sonically they have a lot in common with Elysian based off the track you posted, and I think you might appreciate a lot of what they have to offer. I’m not the most well-read Amon Amarth fan myself, so I can’t rattle off every bit of trivia about the band, but Twilight of the Thunder Gods is easily my favorite album of theirs in my collection, and it’s where I started. I’ll post a link to the album stream below.

(Disclaimer: The actual album sounds a lot better that the shitty compressed Youtube rip I linked)

Typically, the melodic death metal genre as a whole tends to be a little out of my realm. I don’t actively avoid it, but I don’t have any longtime favorites I seek out either. And while my library isn’t devoid of it, I can barely name two or three bands off the top of my head who’d even qualify (Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, and Soilwork, and a familiarity with individual tracks from other bands here and there thanks to free CD samplers from concerts).

Anyway, maybe Amon Amarth is popular enough you’ve heard of them; but even if that’s so, perhaps someone else here can dig into them for the first time. The album is fantastic.

Yeah, I totally dig Amon Amarth. And Twilight of the Thunder Gods is a great song! Not sure if I’ve listened to the album from beginning to end, but I’ll give it a go now. :) Thanks for the other suggestions. Soilwork has something going on that I just don’t like, they remind me of that click click boom song generally, lol. I don’t feel like the Arch Enemy singer has enough range, but I need to give them another shot.

I kind of take things from here and there that I like, but melodic death metal is where I tend to gravitate. I also like power metal. Kamelot is another one of my favorites, as cheesy as it feels sometimes.

Haha, literally listening to Kamelot’s new album right now. I really miss Roy Khan (what a fuckin’ showman!), but the new guy, Karevik, is pretty decent.

I got super into melo-death (and, relatedly and later, symphonic death) again about 3 years ago after sorta losing interest in the mid-00s. Aside from those mentioned thus far (who I like a lot), other straight-up melodic death favorites include Mercenary (especially around the era of The Hours that Remain, like “My World is Ending,” here), Scar Symmetry (again, particularly the middle-period era around Holographic Universe, like “Morphogenesis”), Dark Tranquility (going old again, but “UnDo Control” is just fuckin’ fabulous, as is everything else on Projector), and goofier crap like Children of Bodom (“Everytime I Die” to keep up my trend of ancient tracks). I’ll even polish off this “ancient tracks from eras long-gone, like 10 years ago or so” progression with two more old melo-death favorites, Hypocrisy’s “Paled Empty Sphere” and Amorphis’s “Goddess (of the Sad Man).” Though, admittedly, that last one was moving pretty heavily in a proggy direction by that point. . .

But man, more than any of them, the symphonic death stuff was just blowing my socks off this past summer. The entire album Titan by Septicflesh is one of the most gorgeous, groundbreaking, intensely heavy things I’ve ever heard. The opener, “War in Heaven,” is just devastating.

Having somehow never really followed this thread, apologies if I’m just covering ancient ground, but I love talking and sharing metal :-D

Keep it up! I used to really dig this threat, I discovered a lot of great bands here, many I still listen to today.

Jeez guys, where has this thread been!

Armando, you and I would get along great. Super jealous of you seeing Blind Guardian recently. March of Progress was great, though I do like Subsurface and Hypothetical better. That said Damian has some great stuff.

Speaking of, have you listened to Headspace? If not, do it now. I am Anonymous is one of the best albums I’ve heard in the last 5 years. Damian kills it there. Rick Wakefields son also acquits himself quite well in songwriting duties.

Kamelot… yeah. Roy was the best. Tommy does an admirable impression, and I liked the pick since I’ve been a longtime Seventh Wonder fan. But roy had something special. I doubt Kamelot will ever top Epica/ The Black Halo.

I could go on. Saw Opeth live with Dream Theater. That was a show. Wasn’t always a fan of black metal vocals, but in the last 5-6 years have really grown on me. Kinda fallen out of favor a bit with me lately,aside from Opeth. Doing much more folk metal, like Tyr.

Kerzain will give that a listen. Anything Devin touches is solid gold. Z2 is fantastic. Can’t listen to him for hours on end, but for the length of an album? One of the best. After a few listens, though, I do think I prefer the original Ziltoid. But it’s a tough call.

EDIT: written while listening to Epica’s latest.

EDIT2: Listened to Intronaut. Can hear the DT influence in many ways, but the band isn’t for me. Too much scream, not enough growl in the vocals. Cookies = good, screamers = not good for me.

Headspace was new to me, but that’s definitely an all-star cast. I’d actually been enjoying some sweet Rick Wakeman doodly-doos (albeit very briefly) on Ayreon’s The Theory of Everything near the end of work yesterday, so may as well follow it up today with Adam’s work. Appreciate the rec, and I’m enjoying myself with it 3 songs in so far.

Roy–embarrassing as this probably should be to admit–is kind of my personal style icon. He pulled off the sleek industrial goth aesthetic in a very light, but still theatrical, way that I appreciate and try to adapt into everyday wear when I can. And, of course, the fact that he was an absolutely killer vocalist and frontman was just sort of icing on the cake ;)

Never saw Opeth and DT together, though I did separately while in college. Both had stories associated with. . . in the lead-up to a Dream Theater show in Boston’s Orpheum Theater, I’d been playing an absolute ton of PS2 games and carting my memory card around w/ me in my over-the-shoulder bag to play at a friend’s dorm. I wound up losing the memory card out of it somewhere in the Orpheum during DT’s set, losing–among other things–about 60 hours of progress into Dragon Quest 8, which I never actually did finish thanks to that. I went w/ friends to see Opeth a couple of years later in Worcester–about a 2-hour train ride out of Boston with a notorious schedule that always had the last train booking it out of town right as shows at the Palladium theater wrapped up. We wound up missing the train–in the middle of Massachusetts winter–and were too broke to stay anywhere, so we just bummed around downtown trying to evade bums and cops alike until the first buses left the next morning at like 8.

The Blind Guardian show was genuinely otherworldly. They’re doing some recording on this tour for a new live DVD, and Atlanta was one of their major destinations for that purpose (also, coincidentally, a 7-hour hell-drive on Black Friday, but so fucking worth it). The crowd was packed and impossibly dedicated. Grave Digger did a great job warming everyone up; I’d basically lost my voice by the end of the set, which remarkably included like 3 songs from Excaliber, the only GD album I’m really familiar with. BG hit the stage and proceded to blow through a gigantic multi-hour set, including a fan-request for “Majesty,” which they’d genuinely not planned on playing that tour, from what I can see on Setlist.fm.

The real magic for me was that they actually played “Curse of Feanor” live, something I remember reading on the BG forums like 15 years ago that they never did. No idea what made 'em break from tradition and finally do it, but it was fucking incredible. There were multiple huge, lengthy audience sing-alongs, chanting out the final bars of tracks like “Valhalla” and “The Last Candle,” alongside of course “The Bard’s Song-In the Forest.” I literally destroyed my throat by the night’s end (18 songs, Jesus!); I was unable to do anything but rasp painfully the whole drive back with my gf.

The night was improved more by meeting a friend there I hadn’t gotten to see in years; in HS, I got him into modern metal via Blind Guardian, and his wife apparently bought him the tickets as an early bday present. All in all, my favorite show I’ve seen from them yet, and I can’t wait for the DVD to hit.

The more I type on this, the more I think I must have told most of the story on Qt3 already, but I can’t find it in this thread, so maybe it was elsewhere. Sorry for any unnecessary repetition ;)

Well I only saw your snipped about going to Atlanta in the ‘interesting thing happened’ thread, but as far as I can tell you never did a follow up after.

Ayreon is where I first fell in love with Damians vocals. Arjen is, alongside Mike Portnoy and Daniel Gildenlow, one of those musicians who I will listen to literally everything they put out. There are limbs I would give to see a live show of Ayreon. One of my white whales as far as concerts go. I was fortunate to see the other two* in recent years, but supergroups can be tricky since they don’t go on tour. So seeing a concert of Theory of Everything would be a ticket I would be willing to pay an unreasonable sum for.

*Liquid Tension Experiment and Transatlantic

Gojira’s new album, Magma, released a couple days ago. I’ve had it on heavy rotation since picking it up and have a few songs that stand out for me so far. This is another example of a technical band streamlining their sound a bit. The songs are much shorter and less complex than those found on older albums, like From Mars to Sirius. But none of this surprises me given direction they started heading with 2012’s L’Enfant Sauvage. And while I’m more of a fan of longer, proggier tracks from the technical bands I listen to, it’s rare I outright dislike the directions most bands go when trying to deliver music that has a better chance of capturing and holding a new listener’s attention at festivals etc.

Anyway, I’m not yet sure which of these tracks will stick with me for the long run (so far nothing approaches the likes of Flying Whales etc), but here’s a couple new ones that have grabbed me so far. Overall I’m enjoying the album quite a bit, but none of the songs take me on a journey quite like their older, longer stuff. It’s bite-sized Gojira, and most of the tracks pretty much get straight to the point.

The Cell:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPNILIW2oTE

Pray:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBHxhhqhMiQ

I’ve been trying to get in to the new Gojira. Love their older stuff, particularly From Mars to Sirius, but still have enjoyed their more recent albums. I like Magma, but nothing about it is grabbing me the way some of their previous work did. It will be interesting to see how my opinion evolves the more I listen.

Lately I’ve really been enjoying both releases from Thränenkind. Sort of a melodic doomy/death thing. Really, really good.

Also, looking forward to the new one from Be’lakor after getting in to their previous albums.

Since this thread got bumped, I’ll throw my hat in the ring with the new Vektor album, Terminal Redux. Awesome sci-fi concept album of progressive/technical thrash metal, reminds me a little of Exodus meets Wintersun. Rewards multiple listens.

If you want some more immediate samplers, perhaps try Cygnus Terminal, Ultimate Artificer, and Pillars of Sand.

Excellent reminder! I’ve been meaning to pick that one up.

You won’t be disappointed! :)

Also, the latest from The Morningside is really, really good at first listen. These guys have incorporated a number of different styles over their albums. But Yellow is a great melancholic, melodic doom/death album. Really beautiful too.

Thränenkind and The Morningside both sound really good, I think I’ll pick them up.

I’ve been a bit out of the loop on new releases lately. The only thing I know that’s coming up soon (in August) is Inquisition - Bloodshed Across the Empyrean Altar Beyond the Celestial Zenith. I’m a sucker for Inquisition, even though they’re sounding kind of rote these days.