Recommend me some quality Metal

From here:

Here’s mine! :)

Woo.

Shit that makes me ludicrously happy :-D

I am trying to put together a playlist of y’all’s top lists today for the first month or so of the year. Excited :-D

Also damn you all

edit: Hmmm, Undrask and Lor are coming to Charlotte in like a month. . . but it’s a Monday night >.>

The last few posts have reminded me I’ve not checked out any new stuff from the bands that got me into metal, so have bought the latest Trivium and Arch Enemy albums. Will listen to them commuting next week.

The only new thing I’ve been listening to recently (outside of the numerous best of 2017 D&B and dubstep mixes) is one of Unlucky Morpheus’s singer, Fuki, other bands, a collaboration with Gacharic Spin called Doll$boxx. They’ve just released a new EP, High$pec which is growing on me,

but nothing as immediately catchy as some of the songs on the first album Dolls Apartment. I like the dual vocals from Fuki and the drummer, Hana, who also does the cookie monster stuff. The first album has some fab bass too. I must say its certainly on the lighter, poppy side of metal though. I like Fuki’s vocals, she’s one of the better singers I’ve come across in the girls/j-metal genre.

2018 plans expanding. . .

Impressive!

I only have tickets for Killthrax so far. Still on the fence about Iced Earth.

Well, for now, only bold ones are definitely planned… But one never knows…

Now that’s a concert that might get even me out to if they were anywhere nearby.

Yeah. . . I can catch Undrask with a local group called Kairos. that I like alright on a Friday night about 20 minutes down the road, as compared to the Monday night show 200 miles away with Lor. . . it’s kinda tearing at me. The other upside in favor of the closer show is that it supports a local school’s music department. . .

. . . but Lor.

So I am finally digging back into this for the first time in a few months and man, I’d forgotten just how much I liked it. I think your Grand Magus call on it is super spot-on, and I love those guys. I gotta see if they’re ever touring closer to Raleigh. . .

Sweet, it was def. my favourite more ‘traditional’ heavy metal album of last year, I listened to it heaps!

Grand Magus’ earlier stuff is classic, esp. Iron Will, then Wolf’s Return and Monument. After that they went a bit more ‘power metal’ and became less essential for me (but still pretty good). :)

Aww man. Marilion on tour and nowhere near me. Although I guess I am more of a fan of Fish era.

So have you guys heard the new Machine Head single “Bastards”? They did a metal-folk-style protest song and it’s very political. It’s getting a lot of hate for being different, but I actually kind of like it. Judge for yourselves.

My first one for 2018… a new Shining album got released this month and it’s typically quality stuff (to slit your wrists to).

Shining X - Varg Utan Flock

I’ve spent most of my new music time this year so far on Summoning’s latest, With Doom We Come

I’ve spent a bit of time with the new Watain and Corrosion of Conformity’s recent release, but not enough with either to judge.

I bought an album released last year and mentioned upthread at the weekend, This Is The Sound by Cellar Darling. There are a few tunes that immediately grabbed me, Challenge is one, but I’ll have to see if this is going to have a long life on it.

I did a search for “dwarf metal” just for the hell of it, and I got these guys:

How can you not love those outfits? Listened to their album Stonehymn that was released last year, had fun with it. I’d describe it as “dwarf-themed power metal”.

New Between the Buried and Me:

I’ve also been trying to expand my horizons by listening to new music (to me) lately. Cattle Decapitation is new to me, and here’s a track off an album I’m digging. They’re, like, harmonizing death metal vocals and shit, so that’s cool.

I would love to hear the thought process that led to that. :)
edit: apparently, it’s a thing.