Recommend me some quality Metal

They’re both on my 824-song February playlist, but I don’t remember listening to them. Listening actively now, I’m liking both. One of the hazards of having most of my music-listening time be while working is that something can fail to register through no fault of its own but because my concentration was elsewhere. Thanks for rectifying that!

:)

I think the Apostle of Solitude album is really good.

Bhleg I was looking forward to based on early previews and there’s some excellent stuff on there. But it seems too long.

Big week for buying concert tickets for me. Got tickets to see Metallica in October and also VIP tickets to see Ghost in May. I saw Ghost last year and it was one of my favorite concerts ever. Never done the VIP meet and greet thing so it was a total splurge. Looking forward to it though!

Goddamn @Thraeg and @Profanicus, even when I’m trying extra hard to keep up you guys just keep blowing it up :)

Got some catching up to do before I start my March Concert Prep runs. . .

I did really love the Harikari for the Sky and Tengger Cavalry records last month. Softer on Atlas Moth.

Did you guys hear the new Alterbeast record from last month?

Thaikkudam Bridge are a rock/indian film music band rather than metal, but I like these two.

I think i’ll drop my faves in the music thread.

You guys are killing me. No way I’m ever gonna catch up now. Currently clicking your videos randomly to make some kind of effort. Anyway,

Where did these guys come from? Never heard of them, but I really enjoyed that song. Your standard power metal riffing and a quite decent melodic solo, but the vocalist really stood out. She’s got a great voice, but what I enjoyed most about that great voice was that she never appears to be showing off with it. It’s there to serve the song, and I appreciate that.

So I go to look for the CD and can’t find it anywhere (well, Amazon and eBay anyway). Only the mp3 album from Amazon.

Being a small band from Istanbul, I’m guessing their record company just can’t afford to distribute to major vendors like that. But you can buy from their BigCartel store (it’s a legit site that handles merch for lots of smaller bands):

http://dreamocean.bigcartel.com/

You’ve got me excited to check that album out, now, @Giles_Habibula! I am slowly making my way through the “Best of February” suggestions from folks and haven’t gotten there yet.

Well, I cheated by jumping around randomly. :)
And thanks very much for that info.

edit: woah. 27 Euros ($33) after a 12 euro shipping charge. I may just have to get the Amazon mp3 version after all. That version is only $9.

Daww, sucks about the shipping charge. I had to pay similar for a friend’s album copy of Nordjevel’s last EP cuz she’s obsessed with them and had a bday coming up. I was amazed it arrived unmarred!

Edit: Halfway through Usurpress’s Interregnum, the album takes a major turn (or at least I finally noticed it because I’m doing 12 things at once) and holy fuck is it cool. “Ships of Black Glass” is a great track.

Oh, I’ve paid up to $60 before for certain rare and/or out-of print CDs, but that was long ago when I had more disposable income. And hey, if I dig the music enough, I may yet spring for it. But most likely I’ll wait on the CD version. Usually, some place like Nuclear Blast America or something will pick up the better stuff eventually and make it available for a more reasonable price if I’m patient.

Yeah, that’s entirely fair. I finally gave in a couple of years ago and subscribed to Google Play Music, which has MOST of what I look for. Bandcamp covers the rest. But I still buy on average 1 or 2 physical CDs (or shirts) when I go see bands in concert. Which I do. . . a lot.

Heh, yeah, CDs and shirts have always been my biggest weaknesses.
CDs because I love uncompressed music.
And shirts because I love wearing the shirt of an obscure band (around here anyway) out in public, and then seeing if anyone comments on it. I’m constantly amazed at how many comments I get from kids around here who are even aware some of these bands exist. And they are in turn amazed that an “old guy” like me actually likes this stuff. It’s really fun when that happens, and my gf gets a big kick out of all of the “strange characters” I end up talking with.

Oh, I’m well aware you do. And I look forward to your coverage and photos!

I have almost all the same experiences with the shirts thing, though perhaps a little younger than you are, still ;-). But I actually have literally made friends off the back of my metal tees, so I am pretty down with repping my bands! I have a LOT of metal shirts now. My gf keeps telling me to get rid of them. . . so lame.

I got way behind in listening to new music in February, but one I did like that I don’t see mentioned elsewhere is Heavatar’s Opus II. Classic/power metal.

They’re coming to Grand Rapids, too, but tickets start at $130. I like Metallica and all, but I can buy a lot of video games for $130. I’ve seen 'em four times, not that anxious for a fifth.

Technically not February, but I just stumbled across Hamatom’s Bestie der Freiheit and I’ve been digging it.

Far more important, however is the fact that Oceans of Slumber’s The Banished Heart is finally released. Been amped for this album for months and it’s finally here!

Link is technically to a YT playlist of all tracks, though it starts with a music video of the first track:

More recent metal vids that caught my eye (not all albums are out just yet)

Never heard of these guys before, and I’m not sure this track, “Galax,” is all “hooked up right,” but I like what i’m hearing.

First new Dimmu Borgir in ages and sounds excellently cheesy and ludicrous.

I hate when Karevik does (or is told to do) vocal arrangements that would be far better performed by his predecessor, Khan, but still love the soundscape here. But goddamn do I miss Roy a lot.

New Ministry is always a blessing, esp. after longtime guitarist whose name I can’t remember right now passed a few years back. But huzzah

Rippin new BAND-MAID track :)

Can’t go wrong with some quality Polish Black Thrash!

Voidhanger - Dark Days of the Soul

Local power/classic metal cockrockers Knightmare have a new CD coming out Friday, but the first track is available online: “Spirits in the Night.” Production is a little rough, but they’re super small time. Between this, Datura, and Mega Colossus probably getting albums out this year, it’s a solid one for NC metal :)

I’m sure you can all locate it easy enough so no vids or anything but the new Judas Priest record Firepower is phenomenal. I think it’s close to par with Painkiller. It’s excellent.

The tour kicked off last night in Wilkes-Barre and while I was unable to go, I did see that they played Saints In Hell from Stained Class (40 years!) for the first time ever live.