Recommend me some quality Metal

Sounds like June 1!

So I sprung for VIP tickets when I see them in May. I’m not quite sure what to call him. Tobias? Cardinal? It’ll be fun in any case!

Whenever I see a Ghost video I wonder which poor sod in the band ended up washing the outfits.

Uh… Holy FUCK.

I was restless and bored (at ye olde qt3 am) and went down the winding rabbit hole of random videos that link to other videos and kept clicking on things I’d not seen and this kind of blew me away.

I searched and as far as I can tell, found no mention of this band (apparently Ukrainian?) and had to pop this here before I try to sleep.

The reaction video to that by Lost in Vegas is pretty hilarious. This is it if you haven’t seen it:

Listened through some of that this morning, thanks for the suggestion! Reminds me quite a bit of Infected Rain.

Vocals are very similar to The Agonist. Not bad.

Hell yeah, that’s pretty sick! Looks like I just missed em on tour with Cradle of Filth. . . although it was in baltimore. . . Baltimore is far >.>

The band as a whole is quite impressive, but the singer has not only amazing range but power. She is really something.

Edit - It’s somewhat of a problem for me that sometimes even if I love the music, a singer I just can’t jive with can ruin the whole thing for me. I can’t easily define precisely why sometimes, but it’s definitely true. This was a great surprise and I’m sure I’ll be hunting down their albums all weekend.

It’s what ruined more than a few bands for me. Atrox, whom musically I can go for, has a singer I hate.

Inversely anything with Ray Alder gets at least a one star bump for me, I get goosebumps every time I listen to The Eleventh Hour, even all these years later.

Yeah. While it can be technically impressive I suppose, a lot of growly death metal vocalists just bore the shit out of me. It’s like listening to a washing machine read a grocery list. Just one dimensional, boring and soulless.

Lamb of God guy does that style in a way that I can appreciate and puts some real inflection in there. And the Jinjer lady does it damn well.

PSA: Wiegedood just released their 3rd album - both previous albums made my yearly top 5 lists, so been hanging for this one!

This is black metal in the second-wave Norwegian style. Expect inventive, bleak, ferocious, yet familiar. :)

Wiegedood - De Doden Hebben Het Goed III

Giving this a listen now. I’ll have to finish it off a coupleof times before I give a full review, but I think it’s got that sort of grinding, droning, galloping element to the fuzzed out black metal wall of noise and wailing that I like so much in bands like, say, Primordial. No idea exactly how to categorize it, but man, I live for guitar that does that shit.

Yeah these albums always require at least a couple listens before they click. If it wasn’t already abundantly clear, I’m a huge fan of the 90s black fuzz guitar sound. :) To my ear this has influences from bands like Emperor, Mayhem, Burzum.

April 2018 Albums of the Month

This was an odd month for me, with a my listening dominated by a deluge of great metal-adjacent releases. My overall AotM has to be Master Boot Record, which I think eclipses GosT’s stab at creating a “New Synthwave of Heavy Metal”. But don’t miss the no fewer than four killer acoustic / neofolk albums. It’s also a very strong month for prog-doom thanks to Messa and King Goat. And Blind Guardian fans should definitely check out Judicator. Not so much in the realms of filth and brutality for me this month, but Inferi and Skeletal Remains serve up some solid death metal.

(Posting this a few days early since I’m going to be traveling and won’t be able to listen to tomorrow’s new releases in a timely manner.)

Steel

• Master Boot Record - Direct Memory Access
  • Ulvesang - The Hunt

Iron

• Ivar Bjørnson & Einar Selvik — Hugsjá
  • Inferi - Revenant
  • Messa - Feast for Water
  • Kalmah - Palo
  • Panopticon - The Scars of Man on the Once Nameless Wilderness, Part 1 & 2
  • King Goat - Debt of Aeons

Bronze

• Unreqvited - Stars Wept to the Sea
  • Sun Speaker - Ov Lustra
  • Skeletal Remains - Devouring Mortality
  • Winterfylleth - The Hallowing of Heirdom
  • Nekrogoblikon - Welcome to Bonkers
  • Judicator - The Last Emperor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLmh_HCEido

My faves for April:

Antlers - beneath​.​below​.​behold

Ungfell - Mythen, Mären, Pestilenz

Wallachia - Monumental Heresy

I’m not sure about the song but the video is A++

Just like their song “No One Survives”, I cannot listen to this song without watching the video at the same time. These videos tremendously enhance the music. Really well done.

This is proving to be absolutely absurd

Excellent new album from Greek veterans Varathron. Metal of the Hellenic persuasion, which means mid-tempo, melodic, epic.

Varathron - Patriarchs of Evil