Recommend me some quality Metal

I get perverse pleasure in knowing a band that features very satanic lyrics (at times) has reached a #1 spot. I still love everything they do.

I feel like Slidhr’s new release, The Futile Fires of Man, might be up a few people here’s alleys.

Adding to my list. :)

And in yet more shit that is worming its way into my brain, Katkyt by Vermilia, a 1-woman Finish atmospheric black metal project.

Shit is fucking awesome :-D

So, Epica are apparently Attack on Titan fans. Here’s Simone announcing the release of their 8-track EP covering songs from the anime.

I’ll listen to damn near anything Epica does, so having the anime reference is just icing on the cake.

Sadly, I sold my 8-track player long ago.

I ran across Bloodywood on the Interwebs recently, first I’d heard of them. “Indian Folk Metal” it says in this video title, and that seems pretty accurate. A first glance, I like it. Will have to check out some more of their stuff.

The Band: Split Cranium

The Members: The singer from Isis. The bassist from Converge. A couple other people.

The old:

The new:

Just discovered these guys a couple weeks ago. Their songs are stuck in my head. Me like. Maybe you will too.

I like this a lot. The problem with the old Metallica stuff is that it sounds terrible. This guys cleans them up. Orion is his best work.

Get out.

It sounded pretty great to me at the time! :)

*up until …And Justice For All, at least.

Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning never sounded good, sirs. Master of Puppets sounded better, but still lacking. Even And Justice For All does not sound as good as the Black album.

But then, maybe I just have excellent hearing.

Eh it’s all relative. I was also listening to Venom’s Welcome to Hell around that 80s period which was barely audible! And I still loved it. :)

Justice has the best guitar tone in the world. EVER. (and no bass, but oh well, and clicky drums on a couple tracks, but very fitting for the album)

Black album, while having technically (vastly) superior production value, has the very worst bass drum sound ever. Only their latest album comes close to making the drums sound as bad. Clickfestfromhell.

Tunak Tunak Metal was a meme/hit recently as is awesome.

I mean, it would if it wasn’t muted.

Best in the world.

July 2018 Album of the Month

Slightly down month in my book, but I still enjoyed quite a bit. What stood out to you guys?

Steel:

• Shylmagoghnar - Transience

Iron:

• Powerwolf - The Sacrament of Sin
  • Skeletonwitch - Devouring Radiant Light
  • Sylff - Inner Devastation | Outer Serenity

Bronze:

• Night Flight Orchestra - Sometimes the World Ain’t Enough
  • Lucifer - Lucifer II
  • Immortal - Northern Chaos Gods
  • Obscura - Diluvium
  • Finnr’s Cane - Elegy
  • Redemption - Long Night’s Journey Into Day

Immortal was my number one this month, love it! :)

followed by Runemagick - Evoked from Abysmal Sleep

and Spectral Wound - Infernal Decadence

Then there were were a couple of promising late-July releases which I’ve only heard once so far:
Escape - Decline of the I

Inexorum - Lore of the Lakes

(also quite digging the new Skeletonwitch change of direction)

I’ve hardly had time over the last month to listen to new music, but I did find time to give a listen to Otep’s new album KULT 45.

Warning: political content. Although I suspect it won’t be an issue for the majority leanings on this forum.