Recommend to me, a PS3 Game

Nah. No cheaters I know of.

I never warmed up to it. I did finish it, but I was glad I rented it first. The new one (Crack in Time) is a whole different game though. It is the first R&C game I’ve played with a bigger emphasis on platforming than on shooting. I always thought the R&C games were below-average shooters. But the new game is an outstanding platformer. It still has a shooter mixed in there, but it’s not the emphasis this time around, though there are a few battle-heavy sequences in the game, plus there is the arena where you can go fight any time (but which I choose to forgo, since I don’t really like that aspect of R&C games all that much, so I was glad it was optional).

Crack in Time is the first R&C game that I absolutely LOVE. It has given so much joy to me this past month or so. Absolutely wonderful game.

You can upgrade your guns in RE5. There’s unfortunately no way to get rid of your sidekick, but there’s a couple of things you can do to make her less offensive.

I’d skip straight to Uncharted 2. It does have a competitive online scene, but in my experience it’s kinda hard to get into because there’s a handful of dedicated teams roaming the servers flattening everything they come across. Killzone 2 has pretty solid but extremely generic online play.

God of War 3 is out in March and will probably be a perfectly serviceable brawler. You can probably find Devil May Cry 4 for small change at this point. I’d recommend Bayonetta over either, but the PS3 port is really terrible and to be approached with caution unless they announce some kind of patch.

Batman and Red Faction: Guerilla are both solid and worthwhile open worldish actiony games if you don’t have them on PC.

Also, locate a copy of MGS4 in a shop and recoil while hissing violently.

If you hate cutscenes skip Valkryia and MGS4 certainly. I just started Valkryia and it’s just non-stop talking and cutscenes and such.

Whichever Ratchet game you have, you can get the other one.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift is some really good pure racing.

Wipeout HD Fury is great and ridiculously gorgeous. Go to neogaf and grab the GAME 3 mix to stick in as a custom soundtrack.

Go get the first Uncharted. Don’t skip it. Also there is a DS3/Uncharted bundle which should save you a lot of dough on a secod controller.

Modern Warfare 2 is fucking great. So definitely hop on that.

Wipeout HD has a demo. Or, at the least, it had one, as it’s currently sitting on my harddrive.

Alternately, you could be the hardest core strategy gamer I personally know and consider it the greatest videogame ever made. I think you just hate cel-shading.

It’s not in the demo section of the store, a quick google makes it sound like there is some way to get it though, possibly by downloading the full game as a trial. I’ll have to see if I can find it tonight.

AND…I still can’t find a demo for it or a downloadable trial version. I can get demos for the PSP games though.

Apparently they pulled it, awesome.

On the third hand, you could argue that only an unusual affection for cel-shading and animoo plots, set in a world that runs European history through a George Lucas moral filter, would make one able to enjoy the wafer thin mechanics. I think your hardest core strategy gamer friend needs to shed that title and arise reborn with a well-stocked shelf of Brutal Legends and Halo Wars. I’m certainly not one for that title, of course, but that’s an easy one to call.

Disgaea 2 (for PS2) is probably the mechanics peak of the series, although D1 has it beat for a better core plot that takes advantage of the strengths of anime instead of its weaknesses (like Valkyria). D3 is just not enough of an upgrade over the prior generation’s versions for me to recommend it, but it might be fine for someone who’s never played the previous versions.

RE5 is great, but its best if you can accentuate your purchase with a friend renting the title to keep you company on PSN. The Sheva AI is fine, but the game really shines on the harder difficulties with a competent human. Arkham Asylum is a great action title as well as one of the more palatable superhero games for people that don’t give a damn about the property, but I’m assuming there’s a reason you’ve left it out of your considerations.

Ha ha, but that person should try Fire Emblem sometime. This is a PS3 thread, though.

If you knew my friend, your description there would make you laugh as hard as it made me laugh. I honestly can’t think of a strategy game he hasn’t finished, if not crushed. He considers Valkyria to be borderline perfect, and he knows more about the genre than you and I put together, I guarantee.

OK, but I crushed what I played of Valkyria by accident, and somewhere between the animoo inspired naps and the poorly thought-out grading system, there was no perfection to be had. So you go ahead and stop using appeals to authority that aren’t going to show up and defend the indefensible allegations you are making (unless perfect means horribly unbalanced easily broken by a novice to the genre), and I’ll stop making fun of someone I’ve never met.

Maybe Matt’s friend just likes the easier games with big fat exploits.

Hey guys, I have a friend that is REALLY good at FPSs. Better than all of us combined. He considers Perfect Dark: Zero the pinnacle of the genre.

Nothing wrong with Tekken 6, unless you suck at it…in which case you can help me increase my shitty 44% winrate online.