Recommendations: What order to play these FPS in

A friend of mine just bought a PS3 and against my advice bought five shooters off the bat (some GameStop used games deal, apparently):

1. The Orange Box
  2. Call of Duty 4
  3. Call of Duty: WaW
  4. Resistance 2
  5. Killzone 2

I recommended Orange Box (to get the old tech out of the way), WaW/R2, and COD4/K2. Agree?

The goal is to go from not as fantastic to more fantastic.

I recommend the following order:

1. The Orange Box
  2. Call of Duty 4
  3. Call of Duty: WaW
  4. Resistance 2
  5. Killzone 2

I haven’t played COD5 but might want to split those two with at least HL2. Otherwise you might get sick of endless COD gameplay. Then follow it with E1 for a quick breather and those other console games I know nothing about.

Note: I am a backlog efficiency expert.

I just noticed this. Mostly a bad idea that doesn’t help anything. You can mix a little bad with the good but going in order from bad to good serves no purpose.

Singleplayer? From worst to best?

I haven’t played the PS3 exclusives, but I can conclusively say that the other three would go in this order:

1. Call of Duty: WaW
  2. Call of Duty 4
  3. The Orange Box
  1. Orange Box, (HL2): on the off chance that it’s not too dated for him now as it was for me when I got around to it.
  2. Call of Duty 4, once, on normal difficulty or below depending on your friend’s ability level. Under no circumstances go above normal unless you think he would enjoy being made acutely aware of the game’s shortcomings in the worst possible way.

Then he can move on to TF2, CoD4 multiplayer, and messing around with Portal, if in fact multiplayer communities still exist on the PS3 as they might for CoD4. CoD:WaW is a fun diversion for later on, and the other two I have not played and have no interest in.

1. Killzone 2 single player
  2. CoD4 single player
  3. CoD4 multiplayer
  4. Head to Gamestop to return the other games.

EDIT: Use money to buy Uncharted: Drakes Fortune, MGS4, and RE5.

You would return the Orange Box? That’s special. You’re special.

For console? At this point yeah. The Source engine never really translated well to console, and the PS3 port was especially bad, not to mention pretty dated at this point.

Eurogamer did exhaustive coverage of it, and I think, IIRC, HL2 wasn’t that bad in terms of framerate and performance, but Ep1 was much worse, and Ep2 was really bad. But Portal worked just fine. I doubt if there’s a multiplayer community for TF2 on the PS3, so that’s irrelevant.

But if the PS3 version corresponds at all to the 360 version, the original HL2 was surprisingly fun to replay on the 360. Especially the vehicle sections. I had more fun with those on the 360 than I did with mouse+keyboard in the original PC version.

Plus, I think Portal is definitely worth playing since that apparently makes it over the best, performance-wise, to the PS3.

OK, fair enough:

Play through Portal and then return Orange Box (you’ve got seven days at Gamestop).

Sorry, I think it’s all for singleplayer.

I think they’re all great games so “bad” isn’t really a concern