Recording In-Game Video (FRAPS Alternative?)

Huuuuuuuuh…

ARISE!

A new contender has popped up. Forge. It’s free and works pretty well. It’s a very simple video capture program.

http://forge.gg/

The only drawback seems to be that the developers have to add games to a master list in the software for you to be able to record from it.

Nice, I’ll give it a whirl, but I doubt it’ll replace OBS Multiplatform for me at this point. It’s just too awesome.

Thank you!

Oh, no. This is more for really short clips like the Xbox One DVR function.

Huh, Forge also seems to be its own little streaming service as well. Interesting.

OBS is pretty great, if not a bit, as someone put it above, open-source-y. But I get .mp4s out of it.

OBS Studio (formerly OBS Multiplatform) is better. It’s still very “open sourcey” but it’s better.

Hah, wow, didn’t even notice they changed the name.

Used Fraps for many years (registered it eons ago) but lately been using the one with Geforce Experience. Only downside is that you can only stream 5MBps to Twitch, but at least the local stuff is ok if I use a high enough bitrate, then I’ll just have to re-encode it before it can be uploaded to Youtube.

Oh man, go with OBS, so much better than GeForce. Though I will admit GeForce is the only one that can get certain games from the late 90s/early 2000s. It’s weird.

Forge works pretty well.

http://forge.gg/i/VmlkZW86ODE0NzE2

Very limited, obviously, but if you just want that simple DVR functionality without a lot of hassle, this is decent.

FRAPS stopped working for me after I went with Windows 10 (the resulting videos like to randomly turn black with audio still playing, then it’s fine, oops then black again, etc.), and Camtasia always has a strange his in the mic that I can’t get rid of so that’s annoying, and consequently I haven’t recorded new content in some time. I googled this OBS Studio and found a page with about two dozen downloads and decided that was far more complication than I wanted to deal with. Is there an OBS Studio guide out there that someone might recommend for setting up and just recording gameplay to post to YouTube?

This is the official guide, but it’s fairly straightforward. If I can use it, you can use it, because I’m clearly an idiot. ;)

Does NVidia have an option that would work for you?

Nvidia’s Shadowplay is pretty basic but it does the job if you only wanna stream to Twitch.

Using OBS after Shadowplay died with Geforce Telemetry 3.x

You can also go with Restream.io to stream to Twitch, YT,etc at the same time from OBS.

Yeah, OBS is totally my jam now. I use Shadowplay for those very few games OBS refuses to capture, but that’s getting more rare.

I really like Camtasia.

$199 like??!?!

Yeah, I think so. Super fun and easy to use.