Red Cross forbid from entering New Orleans

http://www.redcross.org/faq/0,1096,0_682_4524,00.html#4524

Hurricane Katrina: Why is the Red Cross not in New Orleans?

* Acess to New Orleans is controlled by the National Guard and local authorities and while we are in constant contact with them, we simply cannot enter New Orleans against their orders.

* The state Homeland Security Department had requested--and continues to request--that the American Red Cross not come back into New Orleans following the hurricane. Our presence would keep people from evacuating and encourage others to come into the city.

Kos commentator confirms (I think): Bishops reinforce their own irrelevance on sexual issues

So apparently someone thinks people will stick around in New Orleans with the dead bodies and sewage, refusing to leave, if they get food from the Red Cross.

You know, during 9/11 I never thought it was totally out of control; I was confident the government could handle it. Now? What can we do?

Not trying to be a dick (just a pedant), but wouldn’t it be ‘forbade?’

Forbidden. Prohibited. Enjoined. Proscribed.

I’m not much of one for conspiracy theories when it comes to this administration. You don’t need to make shit up when their intentions are made pretty clear by their actions as long as you ignore their words.

That being said, if a despot had a plan to shatter a population under the guise of a natural disaster they couldn’t have done a better job. It’s hard not to wonder if there was some kind of intentional, or “nearly” intentional act of genocide going on here.

At worst I feel that we’ve seen a full revelation of the deep cronyism and lack of concern for the citizenry that has been the hallmark of Bush since he was governor of Texas.

There’s no shortage of things that could have been done here but were not:

In addition to Guard help, the federal government could have activated, but did not, a major air support plan under a pre-existing contract with airlines. The program, called Civilian Reserve Air Fleet, lets the government quickly put private cargo and passenger planes into service.

The CRAF provision has been activated twice, once for the Persian Gulf War and again for the Iraq war.

http://talkleft.com/new_archives/012104.html

Confirmation on larry king from the red cross.

Bush grounding the helicopters for the Photo-Op is now confirmed the Times-Picayune:

Three tons of food ready for delivery by air to refugees in St. Bernard Parish and on Algiers Point sat on the Crescent City Connection bridge Friday afternoon as air traffic was halted because of President Bush’s visit to New Orleans, officials said.

The provisions, secured by U.S. Rep. Charlie Melancon, D-Napoleonville, and state Agriculture Commissioner Bob Odom, baked in the afternoon sun as Bush surveyed damage across southeast Louisiana five days after Katrina made landfall as a Category 4 storm, said Melancon’s chief of staff, Casey O’Shea.

“We had arrangements to airlift food by helicopter to these folks, and now the food is sitting in trucks because they won’t let helicopters fly,” O’Shea said Friday afternoon.

The food was expected to be in the hands of storm survivors after the president left the devastated region Friday night, he said.

There’s some other stuff of a similar nature that’s being rumored, including tearing down the “food stations” that Bush visited down there right after he (and the press left). Supposedly caught on camera by a foreign news team. I’ll post a link once I have one.

Mayer- That doesn’t confirm anything of the sort. Do you read it as implying that Bush grounded all the helicopters so he could have his picture taken with one or two of them? That seems bizarre. That article is inexplicably short and has one very important pronoun without an antecedent.

Has anyone ever started a post with “I’m not much of one for conspiracy theories” who didn’t procede to immediately contradict that sentence?

1. If this was done, where would the planes come from?
  2. Where would those planes go?
  3. Once loaded, where would those planes land?
  4. If the planes are carrying supplies, how do the supplies get to their target destination?
  5. If the planes are carrying people, how are the people getting to their target destination?
    5b) If the planes are carrying people, where is the support infrastructure needed for those people coming from and how are they going to transport it to the target destination?
  6. When CRAF was activated for planned large scale military deployments how many months of planning were involved in coordinating asset release with commercial carriers?

This is reporting?

Gosh, I wish we had a federal agency which was tasked with logistics.

Too bad we don’t no more.

I’m not sure why you’re attacking the messenger, but have fun.

SOP.

I’m criticizing you for being an unthinking messenger that just regurgitates information without doing the slightest bit of critical thinking.

The biggest Federal agency in the world can’t do things which are impossible.

SOP here is to never let logic, reason, rational thinking or God forbid actual discussion get in the way of 30-second composition ranting and cutting and pasting.

I’m criticizing you for being an unthinking messenger that just regurgitates information without doing the slightest bit of critical thinking.

The biggest Federal agency in the world can’t do things which are impossible.
[/quote]

You’re right in this sense: In the clear pattern of total failure and utter fecklessness that has emerged over the last week, in the story of the the hundreds of missed or ignored opportunities to alleviate the human suffering that they have now become, in no small way, responsible for, this one is probably not that important.

Unfortunately, you seem to be either unable or unwilling to try to determine or make a distinction between failures and limitations. You have limitations, things which simply are not possible. You have failures due to chaos. Finally, you have failures due to incompetence. In an event of this magnitude, there will be plenty of items in each of those categories. Of course, you have the things that have “gone right” too, although the problem with a major natural disaster is nothing ever really goes right, it just gets a little bit less bad.

When looking back on this later on the in the future, the mid-level and line-level people will be able to tell you exactly what belongs in what category. Most of those people are working 16, 18, 20 hour days at the moment. Meanwhile we have a media that doesn’t seem to want to educate itself on how things are supposed to work in the first place. You can critique and question from a place of utter ignorance, but it isn’t on the balance very helpful.

Ok, “How things are supposed to work in the first place”:

http://www.tpmcafe.com/story/2005/9/4/171811/1974

The National Response Plan was accepted and implemented by Bush Administration in December 2004. According to the PREFACE, President Bush, “directed the development of a new National Response Plan (NRP) to align Federal coordination structures, capabilities, and resources into a unified, all discipline, and all-hazards approach to domestic incident management. . . .The end result is vastly improved coordination among Federal, State, local, and tribal organizations to help save lives and protect America’s communities by increasing the speed, effectiveness, and efficiency of incident management.”

Read through it. Didn’t happen.

Hmm. Or maybe I can smell it when shit stinks, and you can’t.

But all cheap shots aside Lino, I think you’re wrong here. It isn’t just li’l ole me who thinks things were badly bungled here. Plenty of people with degrees and experience, who aren’t just the press, seem to be mighty upset with the response to this disaster.

About 100 people have died at the Chalmette Slip after being pulled off their rooftops, waiting to be ferried up the river to the West Bank and bused out of the flood ravaged area, U.S. Rep. Charles Melancon, D-Napoleonville, said Thursday.

About 1,500 people were at the slip on Thursday afternoon, where critical supplies like food and water are scarce, he said. Melancon expressed serious frustration with the slow pace of getting these items to the people waiting to finish their journey to safety. Many of those at the slip were evacuated from a shelter set up at Chalmette High School that suffered massive flooding as the waters rose during Hurricane Katrina. Melancon said people are being plucked out of their water-surrounded houses, but the effort to get them out of Chalmette and provide them with sufficient sustenance is the problem.

Fuck.

Mayer- Being able to differentiate things that were done wrong and things that were impossible/impractical is the only way we’ll ever learn how to better respond. We need to know who to fire and who to promote. Not activating some air transport network of dubious value and letting a hospital ship sit around the Gulf with empty beds are entirely different animals.

Basically, it’s not shit you smell, it’s blood. And you’re in a feeding frenzy.

Well it’s clear that at the VERY least Brown needs to be fired immediately.
Chertoff probably as well.

Yes the Mayor and Govenor should have handled things better in certain areas as well, but they are local government and their jobs are broad in scope, as opposed to Brown who is in charge of FEMA who according to their own website “- is tasked with responding to, planning for, recovering from and mitigating against disasters.” That’s their sole job!

Yes. Brown is clearly an incompetent who deserves to be fired. Luckily for us, we don’t have a finite number of discipline points, and giving people a free pass because it’s politically expedient is the sort of thing that gets the people on this forum all riled up when it’s the bad people doing it.

Yes. The guy who hired him should be shit-canned too.