Red Dead Online: RDR2's multiplayer half

So I’ve been assuming the multiplayer portion of RDR2 would be a mix of the original RDR’s free roam and GTA Online somehow. It never occurred to me that there would be other interesting game modes.

This Battle Royale style mode “Make it count” sounds really interesting.

Limited to 16 or 32 players, bow and knife only. I’d like to play that.

I noticed when I started up the game last night that I had access to the beta - didn’t expect that, I thought early access was only for folks that bought the Ultimate box.

To be honest I was a bit dismayed - I didn’t want to jump into online until I beat the main game, don’t want to get distracted by the online rabbit hole. Definitely want to play it sometime though.

This part doesn’t sound great:

So you can’t just choose to play the Battle Royale mode. You have to just hope it pops up in the playlist. That’s kind of lame.

Meh… :)

I don’t mean to turn the thread into “Things What Piss d^3 Off” But battle royale mode sounds like the least fun competitive mode ever, and I’m pretty sure would just end up being “who gets to gank d^3 first” mode. And get off my lawn dammit, I just mowed.

I hear the actual ‘game’ part is pretty lousy as well.

$124 for a bow.
$1000 for the Mauser pistol ($240 something in single-player).
42 Gold bars (yes that), for an Arabian horse.
Apparently you can grind out gold nuggets, 100? for 1 bar. Guess where the Microtransactions will be. Probably both $ and gold bars.

Also. You can be brutally murdered from behind, the killer getting no wanted level or bounty, but if you respawn and retaliate, your wanted level and bounty is through the roof.

Hard…pass.

Edit: Not to mention that every player online is a dot on the map. What the fuuuuu.

I mean, GTA Online was pretty barren and un-inspiring at first. But look at it now.

I hope the same happens for RD Online.

The microtransactions in GTA Online aren’t that terrible either, they give away so much free cash throughout the year, and with all of the massive content updates, it doesn’t feel bad to throw them 20 bucks here or there every once in a while.

It has a little story part that you can play with friends, otherwise it’s very meh.

If GTA Online is a good guide, they’ll add heists eventually. Let’s see (looks up wiki), GTA Online got its first heist 17 months after GTA Online launched (Oct 2013 -> March 2015).

I think the beta is available the day after the ultimates got in if you started the game up on the October 26th.

I’m in the same boat as you. I want to see what online is like but I kinda want to finish the single player game first.

I tried it for a few minutes. Looks like it could be fun with friends, but I doubt I will invest a ton of time in it. I hate how the voice chat works on the ps4. Since there’s no push to talk there’s tons of background noise from all your teammates or people ganking you. Barf…

If enough people show interest here, we should form a Qt3 posse at some point. Discord chat would be super useful. (My PC is close by.)

Going to play solo for a while longer to get used to the game, and then I’ll cross my fingers and team up with randoms tonight and over the weekend.

So I caved and went ahead and created an online character, a cowgirl named Long Tall Sally. Character creation seems pretty robust, even allowing me to change the pitch of my whistle. I don’t know how much online I’ll play initially because I do want to finish the single player before fully diving in but what I saw interested me greatly.

Its obvious to me, with all you people playing RDR2 online already, that you have neglected fishing in the single player game.

I mean fishing alone should provide 100+ hours of enjoyment.

I am disappointed QT3.

I know you jest, but I absolutely love fishing*, and so many other things, in the single player game. I was going to hold off until I finished single player, but then felt like there’d be all this pressure to finish single player now and the urge to dive into the multiplayer stuff might end up distracting me and ultimately adversely affecting my SP experience in some way. So I’m basically poking my head in, and looking it as a way to “take a break” from SP, or something like that anyway. I don’t expect to play online much, in the longer run, unless I manage to find a posse of players who I like. And realistically, if that doesn’t happen with the Qt3 crowd, it’s unlikely to happen at all.

*Actually, even though I love it, fishing is killing my wrist and thumb, and I ended up purchasing a thumbstick pad to (hopefully) reduce the strain.

He is not kidding. Lord King loooooves fishing.

FACT , any game without fishing is a lesser game.

Not at all, I hold strong. I will not pick up online until I haven beaten the game. And caught all the legendary fish.

Some PVP, shared by a random redditor:

Played a few hours last night and a bit this morning. Overall I’m pretty happy with it and think it complements single player nicely. Some thoughts:

Roaming the world unshackled from single player quests is more liberating than I’d anticipated. There’s no tension around visiting unfamiliar areas, even if seeing them before having experienced them through the single player story sometimes feels spoilery. This may be the biggest reason for those of you holding off to continue doing so, but I suppose one could constrain themselves to areas they’ve visited in single player to avoid that.

Building up your rank is not super frustrating, but earning money feels like an uphill slog. NPCs yield little cash and rarely seem to be carrying anything of value, although it’s good to loot bodies whenever possible. Collecting skins is theoretically lucrative, but wildlife feels more scarce and you’re severely limited by the lack of binoculars and specialized weapons for lower ranked, poorer characters. Selling skins and animal parts requires a visit to butchers in towns, which turn out to be the most dangerous areas to visit, because that’s where griefing seems to concentrate.

I’ve seen a lot of complaints about posses camping near the butcher and such, but I only experienced it myself once, late last night. It was super discouraging to lose all those pelts I’d carried so far, but not shocking. If you’re super sensitive to potential griefing, I’d recommend avoiding towns if you can early on. It’s easy enough to tell by the icons on the map when posses are camping and griefing, and they seem to do that mostly at the more popular towns, such as Valentine. I tend to do my business away from those areas whenever possible. You may find it’s best to focus on skins that can be stored in your pouch, though, since they can’t be lost. Despite the risks, though, more often than not it feels safe enough to risk quick trips to the butcher.

Missions seem to be safer. They’re easy to jump into and don’t take long, and they’re fun. They last about 10-15 minutes, and I tend to make $5-20, a bit of gold, and 300-1000 exp each mission. My first couple required sitting shotgun and providing protection in a caravan as we made our way from one town to another, and defending was a piece of cake. Another mission involved stopping a stage coach and kidnapping an NPC. Another required taking out a bunch of bandits at a fort. Only moderately challenging, but I’m sure there are harder missions. When you accept missions like these, the game warns you that other players can try to bar you from completing them, but that hasn’t happened to me yet. I assume this is via a little notification, and an icon change on their world maps.

I’m now approaching Rank 9, and my best weapons are still those I started out with, the Carbine Repeater and the Cattleman Revolver. It takes a lot longer to improve your arsenal online, but it’s also more satisfying to not have a story mission hand it to you casually, on a silver platter. Unlike in single player, I’m super proud of my gun upgrades, as primitive as my current loadout is, and I expect when I finally have enough $ for a bow, varmint rifle and binocs it’ll be similarly satisfying.

I haven’t grouped up with other players yet, and I don’t know when I’ll end up giving that a shot. I’m still pretty shy of teaming up with complete strangers, so I look forward to seeing more folks on Qt3 dipping their toes in at some point. I’m skeptical that this will happen any time soon, though, given how strong an aversion most people here have to the risk of being griefed.