Red Dead Redemption 2 confirmed for PC

Likely far more people are playing than those who aren’t due to technical issues. Works great here, and also for my mate who bought it. I’d rate you at 80%!

I believe the issues are more of stability than performance. Don’t jack it up to ultra and it will run fine.

I have a 6700k too, runs great, in a VM at that using only 6 of the 8 cores. 2080 though, so I do in fact jack most things up to Ultra.

So finally got around to starting this up today (I was out of town all last week, and then needed to finish up ‘Outer Worlds’. Plus, I played this when it first game out for the Xbox). Anyway, I always start new games up to the main menu, then quit so I can let GeForce Experience optimize the settings. During this process, I realize that the desktop icon doesn’t work. Like at all. Is there anyway to fix this? Do I have to start the launcher and run from there? Because that’s a bit of a PITA. Big fail to Rockstar if this is the case.

Do you mean windows defender, turn that off? I do not have any AV installed other than what comes with windows.

Seems like it. No matter what you do, you have to go through the stupid Rockstar Social Club crappola I guess.

Can’t stop hunting n fishing…

I believe Windows defender is still on. I turned of Avast anti virus. To be fair I haven’t even tried Avast with the latest patch.

Same here, never had any problems with any game I played. However I installed RDR2 and played it 2-3 hours on the first day and when I tried to play it the next day it would ctd and leave no message that I could read. Hasn’t run for me since. So having no problems running any game in the past isn’t a guaranty that this one will run for you. I would recommend waiting until Rockstar actually fixes the problem.

That’s the good stuff.

Game requires turning off antivirus?

lol?

It doesn’t require it, it’s just an issue that affects some people.

“Sorry about the tech issues. Here’s a free poncho!”

Just waiting for PC prices to not be ridiculous. Black friday maybe?

Maybe from some desperate retailer, otherwise I doubt it. GTAV held its pricing for a long while.

Here are the patch notes.

Any luck with getting it to run? If not maybe you can give this a try, I’ve read it has worked for others having the same issue as yourself

“Open your RDR settings folder located in “C:\Users\yournamehere\Documents\Rockstar Games\Red Dead Redemption 2\Settings” and delete the system.xml file.”

Tried your suggestion and lo and behold it worked. I bow to your great googling and reading ability. :)

Anyway thanks for the suggestion.

Disclaimer: This worked for me and your mileage may vary knowing how bad Rockstar fucked up the release of the game.

Cool, glad I could help :)

Ill be trying this again this weekend. They did issue a new patch, which Ill get and if I still have trouble, Ill burn that file.