Red Dead Redemption 2 - For a Few Redemptions More

Wrapped up chapter 6 this morning, such a fine fucking game. It looks like I have quite a bit of story left though, with two “Epilogue” chapters after that seem, according to the mission flow chart in the strategy guide, to be every bit as big as most of the previous chapters? I’m loving it so far.

One question - I played this entire game up to now basically avoiding the lower left side of the map (Blackwater) and I still have never had cause to travel down that way - do I eventually, or should I just head down to there to explore on my own?

I caught a 19 pound needlenose gar and it gave me the option to cook so I did. This played the set up camp animation and afterwards I found myself on a small island just offshore. Now I ain’t want to muss my clothes and luckily there was a boat nearby on the shore. Unfortunately, it had a big hole in its hull. But it also held a skeleton and a pirate sword. So now I have a pirate sword.

I ran into Gavin’s friend again, this time out in the wilderness… I’ve met him like a dozen times now. He’s looking really rough at this point.

Hey, that reminds me, I’ve run into this guy looking for Gavin a couple of times, but he’s always around the homestead in Rhodes. I’ve yet to run into him anywhere else. Is it even possible to help this guy, or is he doomed to endlessly search for his mate?

My horse died yesterday. One I had the entire game. Both him and me got trampled by a 4-horse driven stagecoach for like 50 meters after they got spooked because some fuckers started shooting at me. It was not pretty :(

I could not even use the horse reviver. Roach was deader than Elvis.

The huge golden female Turkoman I bought is glorious though.

Investigated a cabin in the remote woods, opened the door and a grizzly greeted me in full roar. I nearly shit my pants.

Also ran into a camp of O’Driscolls. They started shooting, I started shooting back, managed to hit a lantern sitting on a barrel, which started a fire. Then a grizzly ran up the hill behind the camp and started mauling an O’Driscoll. By the time everyone but me was dead, the camp was engulfed in flames and the fire was spreading through the grass down the hillside. Wild.

So what’s the hivemind’s opinion of the best rifle to get as a freebie reward from the gun shop after saving the one guy’s life? The Lancaster maybe?

I went with a set of clothes. :)

Not sure how far you are, but by the end of chapter 3, I had come across well over a dozen rifles just from downed enemies, along with 2 custom “rare” rifles.

Oh, I didn’t see clothes in the catalog at the gun shop. I’ll look again.

General store , oh maybe you saved a different person. :)

Still pretty cool to get free stuff.

Yeah, the guy I saved was

the snakebit guy.

There are several of those, actually. Each do the same type of reward but for different towns and store fronts. Not that they are common or anything, I’ve put at least 60-70 hours (or more) into the game and only ran into the event 3 times. Twice I got a free general store (i.e. Outfit) and once a free gun.

Has anyone managed to steal the Schofield revolver from you know where without getting a bounty?

No, but I did get away with only $10 in bounty, by not killing anyone (well, except the people I was robbing of course).

What I can’t figure out is how the hell they’re identifying Arthur as the perp. Just now I actually managed to get away with only a 1.50 bounty but then I discovered that I somehow had failed to steal the money on the table.

I think the key is getting out of the investigation area before it starts. If you’re in town and on foot, this is almost impossible. If you’re robbing a stagecoach in the middle of nowhere, you can be gone before the law ever gets there.

I saw that the law always identifies you but civilians don’t if you are wearing a mask. Though I believe that changes as you commit crimes in the same area.

On my way back to Horseshoe Overlook I had an encounter that made me feel like a badass. It’s the one where you’re

crossing a covered bridge and are held up by three robbers. Pulled out my Schofield, invoked Dead Eye and shot them all dead. Then looted them of course (luckily no one came by to see that part). Waste not want not.

Now if I could just not herpaderp out every time I run across the O’Driscolls.

I’m in Chapter 6 now and I think I might need to take a break and play something else for just a bit. There’s a creeping sadness and despair that is beginning to take a toll even though I admire its effectiveness. I half-expect Arthur to break into tears during most of his NPC exchanges.

Just push through it.

Also, make sure you do all the side missions, and talk to everyone you can.