Red Dead Redemption 2 - For a Few Redemptions More

I played on a ps4 pro and never noticed input lag, although the combat is clunky and the horse handling doubly so. If I had a dollar for every time my horse got stuck on the corner of a rock while running just to fall over after a couple seconds of my fruitlessly trying to free it, sending me flying…I’d have a lot more dollars.

It’s well documented
Just one instance

He’s got spreadsheets, @kolbex. Don’t argue with him.

I think we had this conversation briefly upthread, too? I mean, sure, it’s documented, but I never noticed it. In a game where the moment to moment gameplay was less clunky maybe I would have.

I finished RDR2 and I never once punched my horse by accident. Is that due to being part of the PC master race?

I never did it by accident, either. On purpose, now…

Yeah it’s due to the control layout on a game controller. On the Playstation, for instance, you tap Triangle to mount your horse, but if you accidentally hit Circle, you’ve punched your horse. Those two buttons are near each other so it’s an easy mistake, especially if you’re a button masher like me.

Jesus that looks like a real punch, from Arnie. Is that really necessary???

It the audio commentary they say he did not hit the horse.

Well that’s good to know, because it is kinda shitty thing to punch a horse just for the sake of entertainment.

If you look closely at that clip you can see the rider pulling the reins back on the right side right before he swings.

Yeah, pretty sure they train horses to take falls like that for television and film.

Yeah, and I’ve heard that that horse insists on doing all of his own stunts. ;)

Holy crap this game looks absolutely stunning, even on older hardware. I’m playing on rx580 (1440p, yikes), med-high-ish settings, 0.9x resolution scaling and the game still blows almost everything I’ve played to date out of the water (and still runs at 50-60 fps stable!!). Absolutely phenomenal art direction and application of lighting all around.

And the ambiance! Mindblowing, when you ride into a town and a train just happens to arrive, or seeing random events pop up in the wild. Writing so far has also been stellar, and while I initially didn’t like Arthur I’m rapidly warming up to his honorable outlaw persona.

But by far my favorite thing I’ve discovered so far is that a lot of realism elements (such as gun cleaning, horse brushing) have real impact on gameplay, I wish more games followed this suit instead of just throwing in mechanics as fluff. I have a feeling that this game will swallow me whole and I will happily go along with it. About the only thing I don’t like is mission grading, I find it completely disconnected from what the game is trying to show the player and really breaks immersion whenever you see a medal pop up.

That said, I do have some questions - I noticed that specific mechanics or items are locked to you until you complete specific missions - is there a list of these anywhere that would ideally guide the player to get access to the important bits before they embark on exploration?

It’s a top-ten game of all time. I don’t see any game publisher, including R*, making something with such obsessive detail again any time soon.Take the time to savor it.

I agree with ALL OF THIS. You’re making me want to play it again!

I’m enjoying my meandering time with it, but think it’s much closer to a movie than a game. I don’t find any of the missions particularly challenging or presenting any real hard choices (there are a few). It’s a perfect game to turn my brain off to an hour or two at a time.

I think once you hit Chapter 3 (maybe the end of Chapter 2?) everything should be unlocked and you’re free to head off and do pretty much whatever you want.