Red Dead Redemption 2 - For a Few Redemptions More

It is annoying busywork, but it is annoying busywork designed to increase the feeling of being in that world. Having my guns shoot worse when wet means I will be more careful about my surroundings, thus being more engaged, thus having more fun. And maybe they have implemented the repair in a way that will not be annoying.

Today I learned I’m a gun whacko! Woohoo! Second amendment 4 lyfe!

Paul you are completely on point with this. This is akin to feeding your horse or sharpening a blade or improving a skill through trial and error. It’s type of thing that creates the difference between an immersive world and an arcade shooter.

I agree with @Paul_cze as well - I had been thinking this myself, but he articulated it better than I could. I could in turn end up being super annoyed by it, of course, but I’m keeping an open mind about it because I can see it being kind of cool.

As long as it doesn’t reach the level of Far Cry 2 where the guns jammed frequently and you also suddenly get hit by malaria and need to take some snake oil meds…

Funnily enough, I liked it in FarCry 2 - particularly because the gun jamming was beautifully animated, added some improvisational spice into the shootouts, and was very rare if I used guns I purchased, which I did. It was only annoying if you used the shitty guns found.
Of course, Ubi did fuck up by not having the guns also jam in enemy hands.

Thats funny, I never even realized that that was a missing feature… Obviously the guns should’ve also degraded in enemy hands!

I didn’t want to diss the mechanic completely, just felt it was a bit too frequent & intrusive, which resulted in me never picking up guns and swapping mine out at the base at every opportunity.

RDR2 will attempt very deep simulation of Wild West, kinda like Kingdom Come attempted simulation of medieval bohemia. I like what they are saying very much:

Rob Nelson : This game feels closer to a living place than we have ever managed to achieve before, and feels natural in keeping with the pace of America in 1899. As big as Red Dead Redemption 2 is, there’s an intimacy to this game that’s not easy to create in a world [like GTA’s] that you speed through in a car or fly over in a plane. We wanted RDR2 to feel a lot more intimate and grounded, so it made sense to push that realism as far as we could while maintaining the sense of fun. We want to create the illusion of realism without being too punitive to the player.

Josh Bass : While there’s an overarching story, the game is filled with choices for Arthur to make that will allow you to decide what kind of outlaw Arthur is – whether he’s an honorable outlaw or someone less honorable is up to you. The world will respond to these choices in ways both big and small, and hopefully when players begin to share their experiences they’ll start to realise just how different they are from one another, depending on the hundreds of decisions they made across the course of the game.

Rob Nelson: RDR2 was a chance to completely overhaul every underlying system of the game, and our experiences creating those new-generation versions of GTA V helped us to see how we could improve, and what was possible with the new technology.

Josh Bass: We wanted to move beyond the classic desert landscapes of the original game and introduce a larger cross-section of America. More advanced technology meant that it was possible to create the kind of diverse environments we were looking for, with thick mud, huge mountains, and deep, powdery snow; dark, foggy swamps, and heavily forested areas; as well as wide grassy plains.

RDR2 also features the series’ first real city, the industrialising port town of St. Denis, which will feel like a stark contrast to the outposts and towns across the rest of the world.

Rob Nelson: We wanted to go deeper into the world than we ever have so players truly left like this was a place to live. It’s the idea that you can go from an epic shootout on the top of a train to jumping on the back of a stagecoach and pulling cash out of the lockboxes, or looking in the cabinets of a homestead for whiskey. We’ve tried to make the game something you can get lost in at every level.

Is St. Denis real city or is it fictional, GTA style?

It wasn’t nearly as bad as malaria…one is mildly annoying, the other was as intrusive as a colonoscopy.

I think its a fictional GTA-style New Orleans stand-in.

I could have liked it in FC2 if I could’ve controlled it. But it was the randomness and lack of control (like cleaning guns to prevent it) that made it annoying.

I meant to mention earlier but forgot - listening to the Giant Beastcast (only because two of them got to play RDR 2) neither of them actually saw or had to use the gun cleaning mechanic in two hours of playing the game. They only know about it from being told as much from staff on hand to answer questions and guide them, sounded like.

Listening to them talk about the game and their experience and overall impressions was really cool.

Don’t get your hopes up too much. I’ll be very surprised (pleasantly so), if this isn’t fundamentally a GTA game, just like all of their open worlds. Remember that San Andreas had all sorts of “immersive” additions. It was great, but it was till GTA.

Too late! Hopes already sky high, especially since I just learned that this game is only a few weeks away rather than the year or so out that I had originally thought.

I have to say, this looks amazing. I haven’t bought a console, because there wasn’t anything I had to have, but this may change that.

Same here. I was angling for a new gaming laptop later this year, now this threw a monkey wrench in that plan. I just may end up with an Xbox one, thought I might wait it out until Black Friday. Maybe. I would love to sit here and say, “I’ll wait and see if they ever release a PC version,” but the last RDR was SUPERB playing on the Xbox 360, and this one just looks like they turned every bit of that last game up to 11 this go round.

Get a gaming desktop PC and a console for the same price?

Yep. PC and PS4 is ideal combo. Sure PS4 is still redundant piece of toaster hardware, but as long as Sony keeps funding cool games exclusively for it, it’s nice to have.

Hrm … maybe. I like being semi-portable with my laptop. This is my third as my primary gaming rig, before that I had all roll-my-own built systems where I chased the pricing for each item. With a gaming laptop, the dream is usually chasing a current gen GPU 12 months post PC announcement or better, once they announce a new tech for PC. For better pricing, a bit longer than that. Watching things lately, a gaming laptop with a GTX1080 can be found for around $1300-$2000 or so, a little more if you need bigger drives initially (I do not.)

If I had a small enough form factor PC, I might do it, but I would worry the price wouldn’t be too much less. That’s probably a question for the gaming rig thread. Thanks for making me consider it at least, Scott. I’ll post there too.