Red Dead Redemption 2 - For a Few Redemptions More

I found a tiger striped mustang. He’s got average stats but has cool black stripes on his legs and down his spine. I need more stable space. Or my pre-order horse shouldn’t count as taking up a spot if I can’t sell him.

Isn’t that called a zebra?

All right, help me out with something, people. After surviving a particularly hairy Chapter 3 mission, there’s a 4 week period where Arthur is recovering from his wounds. Couple of weird things I’ve noticed since:

Summary

First, before said mission I was able to store five outfits on my horse, but now apparently can only store three again. Second, the Shire horse (a mare) that you get as a temporary horse after the tobacco-burning mission seems impossible to keep hitched at camp. I’d almost think Rockstar modeled her being in heat or something.

Any insights?

I don’t know about the outfits because I don’t really carry lots around with me, but is the horse at least bonding level 1? You mention it’s a temporary horse, and I don’t know if you can hitch a temporary horse, though I’m not totally sure about that.

White Arabian all the way. Switching horses, what kind of cowboy are you? A cowboy may switch wives, but he’s loyal to his horse. ;)

Man, having a hard time getting a perfect cougar pelt. I get to the area where they spawn, but it seems like I can’t just quietly search the area and stalk one. It feels like they randomly spawn pretty much on top of you as opposed to randomly walking through the woods. I’ve managed to be killed by 3 of them, hitting me with no warning as I crouch and scan with binocular, then when I did see one rush me and manage to get a shot off, he was a one star.

Not really complaining, I like the challenge, but I would prefer to be able to hunt them rather than wait until I see a red dot 10 feet from me!

And I say the game wouldn’t give you four stalls in the stable if they meant for you to only ride one horse. I can love more than one horse at a time. In a manner of speaking.

Well, what happened with the horses after the arson mission with Sean is that at one point I removed my saddle from the Ardennes horse who was my main horse at full bonding level and momentarily put it on the Shire mare, but then I put it back on my main one before doing another mission. When I then went on the hairy mission mentioned above I was riding my main horse, and still am. This is why I’m confused.

Another data point, before the hairy mission I installed the latest patch for the PS4 version of the game.

And about hitching temporary horses, the game seemed to have no problem letting me do so after that arson mission.

Yeah, in some ways I regret getting the White Arabian early in the game. I see no reason to ride anything else; she’s extremely fast (if someone starts to chase me I can always easily outrun them, and if I need to catch someone I can likewise always easily overtake them,) and when I see all those nice looking horses in the wild, and compare their stats to my White Arabian, they’re all less. For being as fast as she is, she’s also very hardy; she hasn’t yet died on me in spite of me doing stupid things and sliding off of cliffs, etc. So as cool as being able to find horses in the wild is, I feel like any of them would be a downgrade.

Plus I love all the comments I get from strangers. I heard one recently, a guy in town said “Hell, I wish my wife was as pretty as your horse!” and then a wagon went by one day and a woman in the wagon told what I assume was her husband “why can’t we have a horse like that?” ;)

Yeah, that Arabian is one I stuck with for awhile. But there are two better. The ones you can buy in St. Denis and Blackwater are (stat-wise) better versions of the Arabian, w/ the Blackwater one being the best.

Are they both Arabians? I’m still in Chapter 3 but I have accidentally wandered into St. Denis so I may take a look in their stables.

One question on horse stats: there are two bars, speed and acceleration, and they are filled in in white up to a level but then it appears there is more “potential” as there are additional gray squares on the bar. What do those represent?

a) Yes, they are both Arabians. The one from St. Denis is all black (I named her ‘Midnight’), and the one in Blackwater is rose (went with ‘Morgan’ for his name).
b) If they’re grey, I think you can make them better through bonding, or I think someone said if you accepted and won two races against some woman in the swampy area w/ the family feud, you also can get slightly faster. But I know bonding makes a difference.

Ah, makes sense, thanks. Yeah, I think I’ve got a ways to go before getting anything in Blackwater, still Chapter 3 and trying to not advance too fast. Which is another way of saying I’m just doing a lot of exploring right now.

The Missouri Fox Trotter is as fast as the Arabian with a little less stamina, but it has more health and is MUCH less skittish. I can have wolves come up right next to me and not get thrown from the horse. The Arabian would have me on the ground at first sighting them. Trying to do anything in the area with all the gators while on the Arabian was completely futile. It was comical seeing it racing all around trying to avoid alligators.

I also like fighting on horse back and the fox trotter doesn’t freak out as much at the sound of gunfire and getting hit with bullets.

Plus I still get all those comments about my horse.

That’s good info! I’ll have to see if I can find one of those and compare. Thanks.

Hmmm. Guides say I can’t get one of those until after chapter 4.

See, I just have a basic aversion to buying horses when they’re basically everywhere. Plus, I see most stables charging several hundred bucks for a horse that isn’t really much better than the ones I already have (if at all), not even counting the Arabian which I barely use.

My main requirement for a horse is speed. I want to be able to get away from anyone at anytime. I’ve liked when, in a mission, I had bounty hunters chasing me to steal my bounty and instead of engaging in a firefight with them I just outran them (and easily.) As long as she’s fast with good stamina I’m good.

Argghhhh! I FINALLY killed a perfect cougar, got its pelt, put it on my horse. Saved the game. Riding back to the camp and the power goes off in the house. When the power is back on and I restart the pelt is no longer on my horse. It took forever to get that pelt! I loaded the save I made right after putting the pelt on my horse, but still not there. Rode back to the cougar corpse, yep, there and dead and skinned. Looked around don’t see it on the ground anywhere. Again - argh!

Before you panic, check your fanny pack, it might be in there.

Checked my satchel, it was not in the section where all of the other perfect pelts were. :(