Red Dead Redemption 2 - For a Few Redemptions More

Man, you’re just cursed, aren’t you? ;) From your post a bit further upthread, I wasn’t really clear on whether you’d finally gotten the perfect cougar pelt or if it was a grizzly one.

Is it bad that I’m giggling?

BTW, I finally made it to Chapter 4. That was a hell of a finale to Chapter 3. It’s the Bill Williamson one in Rhodes that pretty much kicks all that off, right?

Anyway, now that I’m in Chapter 4 supposedly I can get the Turkoman horse, but I want to find and tame it in the wild. Anyone ever see one of those out there?

EDIT: Looks like there’s no such thing as a wild Turkoman. I am disappoint. Maybe I can steal one instead.

When looking at horses. There are white bars, then kind of dull grey bars, and sometimes when on them yellow bars. What do all those mean?

Also - isn’t there a hotel or some place to sleep in St. Denis?

Those bars mean that they’re improvable with bonding + better equipment (saddles and stirrups, mostly).

Did you try predator bait? Drop it and run to high ground if possible. Wait until your quarry comes sniffin around.

EDIT: sorry, i see you got your perfect pelt before I posted.

So after completing:

Epilogue 2, and you have your $20k, what else is there to do, besides challenges? I went riding into old RDR1 territory around Armadillo, clearing fog of war, trying to find stuff to do. It’s just a dead area afaict. I was randomly jumped by the Mexican gang. But that’s it so far.

There might be, but it might not be marked. For example, once you get into the Epilogues and down into Tumbleweed, no ‘bed’ is shown, yet you can get both a bath and a room at the gun shop. So you may just have to more/less check every shop to see if they have a ‘services’ sign. I think one of the saloons there may have something.

Couple of observations well into Chapter 3:

It appears if you meet a stranger at a campfire and try to defuse (has anyone EVER gotten that to work?) and he fires at you first you can kill and loot him with no negatIve honor. Not true for ranchers.

I ran across a ranch filled with ODriscolls. Was sniping at them with my Springfield and noticed I got a red dot in a window while no one was there. Fired and then house caught fire, running bad guys out and killing one of them. Looked around and there were a couple other places that, when shot, set the structure on fire. Cool.

I got caught in one of those! I snuck up on their camp and was going to try to throw knives to kill 3 in less than 10 seconds for that challenge. It failed miserably because as they shot at me something lit on fire and caught me. I hadn’t saved in a long time, I had perfect pelts to turn in and I’m like, “No, nooo, NOOOO!” as I realize I have no idea how to put myself out. Watching my health decline quickly I run around trying to shove something into my mouth and somehow barely managed to survived. I look back and half the camp is consumed in flames which had probably made it harder for them to target me.

Cool moment.

I’m guessing that was an incendiary of some kind, although I don’t recall incendiaries lighting up as blips on the map for me. Or maybe it was an attack dog you couldn’t see?

Coulda been a snake too?

Sorry when I said red dots I meant in my scope, as in the dot in your scope turning to red from white when you’re aimed at a target.

That could still be an incendiary. When exploring a cleared camp, keep an eye out for red boxes or barrels and try shooting one deliberately some time.

But it could have been something living, too. Fires can start when people/animals fall into campfires, and the fire can spread a bit. You didn’t mention an explosion, now that I think about it, so I’m leaning in this direction now.

There’s nothing really to do in the new area, except hunt the small handful of legendary animals spread across it. Seems clear to me that they created that section of the map primarily just to have it for RDO, then decided they could also re-use part of it for an Epilogue.

It’d be nice if they put out a single-player expansion or something that more fully utilizes it.

I finished Chapter 2. I was really sad to leave my old camp, but man, I’m kind of loving the new camp already, and it’s surrounding areas. I love the myst/fog/godrays in this area that sometimes appear in certain weather conditions. It really gives the areas a very different feel.

First camp at Horseshoe Overlook is the best one, in my opinion. The one near Rhodes isn’t bad, but the thick alpha effects and god rays give it a stifling character that makes the air thick like soup. It was clearly intentional, to reflect the humidity of the area you’re in, but you can almost feel it through the screen.

The aesthetic of HO just appeals to me more. Blue skies. Nice cliffside view. Mountains in the background. Air is “cleaner”. Less swampy environment.

New Hanover and Ambarino are my favourite areas in the game, in terms of look and feel.

Have they fixed up the crappy HDR implementation for this yet (on Xbox in particular)?

150 hours, 52 days, 87.7% completion, 44% trophies and I finished RDR2’s epilogue today.

It is the best game I’ve played since Witcher 3 and first Rockstar game I would rate 10.

Now if only Rockstar, having the world of RDR1 already modeled, could do a PC/console remake of RDR1…

The easiest way to complete that challenge is to find three chickens close together and throw a knife at each.