Red Dead Redemption 2 - For a Few Redemptions More

Same here. Now that I’m in Chapter 5 I’m kinda wishing I could have just abandoned the gang in Chapter 4 and buy a ranch, maybe find and marry a good woman, hunt, fish, explore, etc. I’d absolutely purchase a version of RDR2 that just provided a ton of dynamically generated encounters, missions, stranger stories, the ability to create a life and living in this world.

This is what I was hoping the online version would be like. Aside from the PVP issues, it’s largely not. It could be some day though.

I hate rails. I just love the the stuff where you ride along and see something and can engage or not… hate the rail missions. I just like exploring and doing stuff on my own.

Question for anyone who knows: once you’ve failed a stranger rescue mission, that’s it, right? I mean you can’t retry it in any way and it doesn’t come up again. I mean, short of reloading a hard save from before you took the mission…

Edit: Hmm, I reloaded the auto save and it either saved before I did the mission or it just presents it to you again.

I believe that just like in GTA, the strangers and freaks missions in RDR2 will keep reappearing until you complete them, so it doesn’t matter if you fail, you can have another go later. It might take some time, or for you to go elsewhere and come back for them to reset.

Oh that’s good to know. I lost a perfectly good elk because some guy road by with a woman strapped to the back of his horse, and she screamed she was being kidnapped. Naturally I had to get involved.

Yeah, my edit could have been clearer-- I reloaded the auto-save (which I’m pretty sure was made after I failed the first time), and the mission spawned again right along the same stretch of road.

PSA: the free “nicer horse glitch” is still available but will likely be patched out soon (maybe tomorrow when they do the online patch). You can score horses like Turkomans and such if you’re lucky. Yesterday (in the epilogues) I managed to score a silver-coat Turkoman (although I had to chase him over hell’s half-acre to calm him and mount him–it helps to herd the horse into a place where the terrain or water “traps” him/her so to speak).

This game is only 35 dollars at the moment on Wal-Mart, so I bought it for my little sister. If she likes it, it will be the first game all three sisters have played at about the same time in a long time. Who knows, if they clean up the online stuff we might even play together, eventually.

Re: Red Dead Online-- there’s a big patch dropping today that changes a bunch of stuff.

How do duels work? I cannot for the life of me understand the instructions in game (super cool when RDR2 instructs you how to do something time critical while it’s happening, this is not the only time I’ve had that frustration), I cannot understand what I’m doing differently when the results change, I can’t even understand the first guide I found when googling for a better explanation. It dumb.

Amazon also had it for $35 and I was indecisive and now it’s $40. :-)

Anyone…
I haven’t been reading the thread in a long time - do people generally enjoy this? I know some people were bothered by some details they thought were tedious.

It’s easily worth $40 for the production values and exploration alone. It really is a beautiful world to wander about in.

I’m also completely stumped by duels, FWIW, and have never gotten a decent explanation of how they’re supposed to work. Eventually I beat them out of sheer bloody-mindedness in the most half-assed way (I end up shooting the dude in the legs or something and the game counts it as a victory-- at that point it’s probably just letting me “win” without telling me it’s doing that). Why they couldn’t just mimic the perfectly understandable system used by Call of Juárez: Gunslinger I’ll never know.
It does let you skip them after a number of tries at least, but that’s unsatisfactory. Can someone, ANYONE, please tell us what we’re missing here?

I am not a FPS player, typically, especially on console. I usually don’t buy games where the game is this railed and with a mail protagonist but it’s a beautiful world. You can take your time on the missions, starting with Chapter 2, and outside the missions I generally dislike it’s open world… There is lots to explore. The horses are very, very well done. Hunting is fun. There are hints of interesting things going on all over the place, things you just come across, and the only things that really sucks are the stupid ambushes, the weird ass way the game saves (losing a fair amount of stuff when it does and sticking you randomly near you were or… something), the wanted system is kind of wonky and the menu layout, it’s like they were drunk when they made that but there is much do and enjoy. It’s easily worth 30-40.

Bought. Amazon also had a deal where if I use my discover cash back bonus I get an extra $10 off so I got it for $30.

Just entered into Chapter 6. No spoilers, but because of “things” it’s kinda amazing how much different my mood is right now than it was earlier in the game. I’ve been riding a Missouri Trotter since Chapter 4, but right now I just want to go back to the White Arabian I caught and tamed very early in the game (named her Destiny) and finish the game out on her. Unfortunately, she seems to have disappeared from all the stables! No idea why, there’s now an empty stall whereas before they were full and she was there. Bummer, but fits the atmosphere now anyway.

Pre-finishing the game review: I loved RDR1. I thought the game itself was so-so and had a lot of issues, but the story and the emotions it managed to create in me made it one of my top 10 games in over 30 years of computer gaming.

RDR2 is, IMO, really, really incredible. This open world is so open, so filled with things to do and explore. I will not find a LOT by the time I finish, I can tell. But what really elevates it, for me, is the story. The emotions it draws out of me, especially entering Chapter 6. This is one of those characters that I’ll never forget. I had wanted to replay the game when I finally finish it, to play the main protagonist as a “bad guy.” I’ve played this run through role playing him as a man with a bad past, who is wanting to be the best man he can be in the circumstances. My good-bad scale is far on the good side. That means I haven’t done many (at all) optional robberies or other things that are opportunities for a “bad” guy. Not really any optional stage coach robberies, train robberies, breaking into homes, etc. I’ve killed a lot but only when I felt forced to. I thought it would be fun to replay, when I finish, as a Bad Guy and do all of that stuff.

But Arthur feels like a real person to me, particularly going into Chapter 6, and it somehow feels “wrong” to start over and make him be that person. As I thought about it, I felt kinda silly to think that deeply about it. It’s a video game. But the fact that it does make me feel that way is one reason I really love this game.

I just wish Destiny was still around so I could saddle her up and finish up my time left with her.

Chapter 6 was my favourite, not just for the general melancholy, but frankly it even has the best, most human, sidemissions.

And yea it is a god damn masterpiece, Rockstar’s best. People who are unable to appreciate it are annoying to me.

Are you sure they’re not appreciating it or are they just not liking it. There’s a number of things I don’t care for, but the work and craft and realization of that effort is definitely notable… but I mostly like it too. I’m not going to like this story though. i can already tell that, especially since my sister told me some things that happened in 1.

I think one of the problems with the game, if it could be considered a problem, is that you really kind of have to submit yourself to the game to really enjoy it. RDR2 isn’t going to meet you halfway, you’re going to have to slow it down, accept that things will happen at their own pace. I personally don’t find it mixes well with other games, I found it hard to play this while playing other games, I had to focus and lose myself in it for a while. That can be hard to do, and it might not even be enjoyable for some.

I refuse to leave chapter 6 because I know what is going to eventually happen.