Red Dead Redemption 2 - For a Few Redemptions More

Just entered into Chapter 6. No spoilers, but because of “things” it’s kinda amazing how much different my mood is right now than it was earlier in the game. I’ve been riding a Missouri Trotter since Chapter 4, but right now I just want to go back to the White Arabian I caught and tamed very early in the game (named her Destiny) and finish the game out on her. Unfortunately, she seems to have disappeared from all the stables! No idea why, there’s now an empty stall whereas before they were full and she was there. Bummer, but fits the atmosphere now anyway.

Pre-finishing the game review: I loved RDR1. I thought the game itself was so-so and had a lot of issues, but the story and the emotions it managed to create in me made it one of my top 10 games in over 30 years of computer gaming.

RDR2 is, IMO, really, really incredible. This open world is so open, so filled with things to do and explore. I will not find a LOT by the time I finish, I can tell. But what really elevates it, for me, is the story. The emotions it draws out of me, especially entering Chapter 6. This is one of those characters that I’ll never forget. I had wanted to replay the game when I finally finish it, to play the main protagonist as a “bad guy.” I’ve played this run through role playing him as a man with a bad past, who is wanting to be the best man he can be in the circumstances. My good-bad scale is far on the good side. That means I haven’t done many (at all) optional robberies or other things that are opportunities for a “bad” guy. Not really any optional stage coach robberies, train robberies, breaking into homes, etc. I’ve killed a lot but only when I felt forced to. I thought it would be fun to replay, when I finish, as a Bad Guy and do all of that stuff.

But Arthur feels like a real person to me, particularly going into Chapter 6, and it somehow feels “wrong” to start over and make him be that person. As I thought about it, I felt kinda silly to think that deeply about it. It’s a video game. But the fact that it does make me feel that way is one reason I really love this game.

I just wish Destiny was still around so I could saddle her up and finish up my time left with her.

Chapter 6 was my favourite, not just for the general melancholy, but frankly it even has the best, most human, sidemissions.

And yea it is a god damn masterpiece, Rockstar’s best. People who are unable to appreciate it are annoying to me.

Are you sure they’re not appreciating it or are they just not liking it. There’s a number of things I don’t care for, but the work and craft and realization of that effort is definitely notable… but I mostly like it too. I’m not going to like this story though. i can already tell that, especially since my sister told me some things that happened in 1.

I think one of the problems with the game, if it could be considered a problem, is that you really kind of have to submit yourself to the game to really enjoy it. RDR2 isn’t going to meet you halfway, you’re going to have to slow it down, accept that things will happen at their own pace. I personally don’t find it mixes well with other games, I found it hard to play this while playing other games, I had to focus and lose myself in it for a while. That can be hard to do, and it might not even be enjoyable for some.

I refuse to leave chapter 6 because I know what is going to eventually happen.

Yeah sadly there are almost no options to kind of alter the game for the player in any meaningful way.

That may be a differentiator for who loves RDR2 and who doesn’t.

What pulls me in is that is provides me with a rich world to explore with interesting things going on. (I doubt this run through I will find the serial killer, the UFO or alien evidence, and much more.) But even more, it pulls me into an experience. I love the open world but I also love the strong, rich story line. I really enjoy it being a slow experience. So many games are so go-go-go-go. This afternoon after work I played, and i put on my headphones, and I just rode around this world I’ve come to know so well (beginning of Chapter 6,) ruminating. Due to where I am, where the story is, I found that I had no interest at all in killing any of the wildlife. Through most of the game, if I saw a bear or huge ram, etc my first thought was see if it’s 3 star and take it down! Perfect hide! Meat! Parts! Now I see them and I slow down and just watch them go about their daily routine (and RDR2 does a nice job of that.) There’s a depth of “feeling” here that I don’t get from most other open world games. Even Witcher 3, which I think is in my top 5 of all time, with it’s great writing, doesn’t quite give me the same depth of feelings I get in RDR2.

It’s very much a unique experience. And probably not for everyone. Again, I think it may be more an experience than a game.

So what I’m getting is none of you know how to duel either, and you’re all ashamed to admit it. :)

see I don’t like the story much at all. I enjoy the characters, the uniqueness of them but it will take me forever to get onto other chapters because I avoid the missions until I’m like fine, I should probably do this because it’s right here.

I think a number of people I know might actually enjoy the story more than I would, not hard to do actually, but they’d never get past the gameplay. They’d get frustrated with the finicky nature of it.

Are you talking about some guy shoots another guy and then another says whose next, you volunteer and usually die? I’ve tried that a few times with no success. I am getting a lot better at shooting though, so I might try again in the near future. My last attempt was many, many game hours ago.

Of course I know how to duel. Pull right trigger slowly to fill the deadeye meter, then pull in completely to draw and fire. Couldn’t be easier. The catch though is to get enough deadeye but still outdraw your opponent.

Is the dead eye meter in the usual place? Maybe I’ve been taking the “pull r2 slowly” instruction too literally?

Don’t try to pull the Right Trigger slowly, you’ll die every time. Just pull it all the way, and then hope you get lucky in aiming without any dead eye slow motion. If it doesn’t work, the game will reload and you try again. A few weeks later, you’ll be another duel, and you’ll have forgotten how to do it. Just pull Right Trigger all the way quickly, that’s the key to not dying immediately, in my experience.

Well, I enjoyed the open world piece so much in the first 3 chapters that I avoided the main missions until I ran out of side missions to do (and finished some hunting to max out my satchel.) I just loved riding around and discovering the world. In terms of “play” I enjoyed that more than the actual missions, in terms of playing them.

However, in Chapter 6 now, and it is probably more accurate to say I am completely caught up in my character and what he’s been through, who he is, who he wants to be, and what he’s going to go through. The story missions are just what help tell the story of him, and I enjoy that more than the actual gameplay of the missions themselves.

I think where I struggled with dueling was thinking that time was frozen and the only trick was pulling R2 slowly to fill the meter.

Time isn’t frozen, when you duel you aren’t watching your meters you are supposed to watch your opponent while slowly pressing R2, when you see them start to draw you immediately finish pulling R2 to draw your weapon. The longer you were able to slowly press R2 the more deadeye time you have to aim and fire. It actually does a really good job of simulating a duel if you think about. The slow pressing of R2 is just the staredown part you see in movies but it’s up to you when to actually draw and fire.

Exactly. The problem is this is not at all explained well. Once I figured this out I really enjoyed duels and they felt very Good Bad and Ugly ish. ;)

@Rock8man @Hery @JeffL Thank you so much for explaining it.

Love the characters, tolerated the story, hated the main missions.

I ran across Feral Man. That was… interesting. I ended up killing him and found a diary but the diary never showed up in my satchel so I couldn’t read it.

As noted before, in Chapter 6, and my mood (character’s mood) is much more contemplative. I know what’s coming. I have no desire to kill or rob, and rather than go to the next main mission I see I have an option to go back to the widow I helped. Which I will do. Wishing I could just settle down with her and let the gang wonder where I disappeared to.

Since I’m playing this more as a role play of the character, I look at the main missions more as a way to tell and progress the story than I do as “game play.” What I mean to say by that, for purely judging them as action pieces for gameplay, they’re pretty “eh.” But for advancing the characters and the story, they do the job well.

Still mourning the odd disappearance of my White Arabian I played most of the first chapters with, it would just feel right to finish the game with her. If for some reason I try to play again with Arthur as a “bad guy” I’ll just stick with her for the whole game. My Missouri Trotter is certainly a bigger horse, but he still bucks me if he runs across something that scares him and, while the White Arabian may be more skittish (although I haven’t really noticed a big difference) I could handle that as just her nature.

Oh, and maybe the reply needs to be in a spoiler tag, but riding up north, around Doverhill, I ran across what looks like a church, with candles or something inside, that I cannot enter (it drives me crazy when I can’t enter a building with something inside!) No window entrance either. But what’s weird is right next to it is a huge tower, and at the top are clearly three switches I cannot interact with. I assume I can’t do anything unless led here by some mission?

I’ll just say-- go there at night in a thunderstorm.