Red Dead Redemption 2 - For a Few Redemptions More

Wow I just found out this will be available for the PC today, I excited. I swear I always check out the game section of the forum before I do battle on P&R and I was monitoring this thread.

Could someone explain the options. I can get it on Steam (which I really prefer) but I have to wait until Dec. Or I can get it Nov 5th, on some other awful game launch platform, which I’m guessing will be like what Microsoft did for State of Decay 2, or the Epic stuff.

Green Man Gaming has some weird promo where I can get 25 gold bars (is that a lot or little?) plus a prize wheel spin for store credit. (It sounds suspiciously like gambling, which is illegal over the internet…)

Finally, is it worth it to for the Special or Ultimate edition.?

Anywhere you buy it, the PC version will require the Rockstar launcher, although it’s not clear whether that will be the simplified version like GTAV currently works in Steam, or if it will be like Uplay with Steam. Regardless, most independent markets selling it, are selling the direct Rockstar version.

From what I’m reading, that’s $9.99 worth (although apparently there’s a one-time deal per account to buy your first 25 for $4.99). From what I’m reading, they get you a slew of special cosmetic stuff from guns to tack to hats to whatever. They can also be earned by earning 100 nuggets/bar. Please note these gold bars are independent of the single-player gold bars found in the game world.

I haven’t seen much, if any, incentive to buy in advance for the single-player part of the game, just MP.

You do get 2 free Rockstar games if you buy direct.

Well that doesn’t improve the RDR2 SP game either.

I thought when it came out on PS4 there was an additional mission and not a terrible horse for pre-oders is the comparison.

Pre-load’s up with a 109GB download.

You are correct, and this struck me as odd as well, so I just did a little looking around, and I found this:

So that’s also what I remember getting for pre-ordering the PS4 edition, if I’m remembering right. But this indicates you only get these goodies by pre-ordering on the RockStar Games Launcher?

I did find an IGN article confirming that if you don’t pre-order from RockStar Games Launcher, there are no story mode pre-order bonuses.

They do go on to state it’s unclear if Steam will have these pre-order bonuses, and it’s currently not on the Steam store page, so who knows.

I will say that other than the horse (which is quickly replaced by the best horse in the game if you are patient) there isn’t anything really critical in that pre-order bonus or anything. Not that I remember, at any rate.

Yeah I didn’t care about the pre-order stuff then or even now. I just think it’s weird it’s so MP focused. None of that will make me pre-order the game, but… the thing that will get me onto PC is if my gaming group somehow convinces me the MP is worthwhile. I have not found it that great now, but there are only two us on PS4, and she is barely on. A third or forth would make it more of a group effort than a barely show up partner so… maybe.

I’m going to finish he darn thing on PS4 though. This an MHW are at the top of my during holiday vacation list.

Instead of a more expensive version that makes the game easier, they should do a cheaper version where you start with less stuff, everyone’s mean to you and your horse has three legs.

I plan to get this, as I never got to play RDR or RDR2 really. I tried the first on Xbox but could not do well with a controller (I think I shot my horse more often than anything else), so the arrival of RDR2 on PC is something I’ve looked forward to, being a huge fan of spaghetti westerns and this sort of theme in general. I will probably just get it from whatever store is convenient, which right now seems like EGS, as I don’t have the Rockstar store installed.

So I figured out a way to not drop so much in online. The missions seem stable. For instance, I had a Legendary Bounty that was awesome, it was a fully fleshed out mission with characters, cut scenes, a set piece battle, all kinds of stuff.

If was set in a spooky swamp and I had to clear out Lagras in order to find him. Didn’t drop once.

The game comes out world wide on 8 AM EST or 13:00 GMT world wide so you folks in Sydney don’t get a head start.

I’m pretty excited about the game, even if I had to uninstall quite a few games to make room for the 106 GB download on my flash drive.

I spent a 90 minutes trying to get the game to launch and I’m not alone.
One of rockstar’s trouble shooting suggestions actually caused more trouble which was to change the compatibility suggestions.

Once I updated my drivers and disable Avast anti-virus it ran fine. Just starting the game now, looks beautiful.

Every topic on this I’ve seen, the anti-virus was the culprit (so far).

Or the rootkit-level of invasiveness of copy protection and/or anti-cheat these days is to blame.

Funny, I did not even buy it on PC yet (waiting for steam version) but all the Avast reports made me uninstall Avast after 15 years of using it. I just read few weeks back that integrated Windows Defender is slightly better anyway, so no loss I guess. At least I got some 3GB of space on my system SSD.

From what I am reading the game is more demanding than expected. For stable 60fps in 1080p and high preset, at least RTX2060 is recommended.

I’ve been using Defender for a long time now. I gave up the antivirus tax probably around the time I went to Win 7. That combined with Malwarebytes and judgment has served me well thus far.

I thought they said there was no crazy DRM on this, so I am not sure why the antivirus programs, Avast and AVG right?, are having issues with it.

Story wise this game is a huge downer right?