Red Dead Redemption 2 - For a Few Redemptions More

And that’s how the West was won. Well played, @barstein!

My preferred course of action in those Red Dead Online situations was to just do whatever it took to log out, even if it meant alt-F4ing the game. But that’s usually because I was pinwheeling through the air from being exploded. I don’t think it would have been nearly as disarming to my antagonists to just ignore them and read a book in that case. :)

I appreciate that, Tom! Boring griefers to death brings me some degree of pleasure, I have to admit. I have no idea how these guys managed to stick around for so long without passing out or leaving, but somehow I don’t think it was due to being super patient; I found myself imagining them roleplaying a cruel bossman-henchman dialog that I couldn’t hear, or something, and I was grateful that they probably left their mics on Posse mode.

Some of the hacks I’ve seem were very surprising and interesting, such as this one.This fellow was the last thing I expected to see strolling down a road.

Holy crow, this campaign is long! Of course I got distracted with other games during the holidays but jumped back in last weekend. At the end of chapter 3, I looked up info online and was like, “Shit! Three more chapters?! Plus epilogues?!” I hit chapter 6 today and I really wish there was a “Go fuck yourself, Dutch” option for Arthur. Damn…

The downward spiral of everything is so interesting, yet depressing, to watch. And Saint Denis is one of the most impressive settings I’ve ever seen in a videogame. Absolutely gorgeous, especially at night.

Finished the main story today. I was particularly broken up over the loss of Jezebel, the horse I’d had since Chapter 1. It made Arthur’s “Thank you” to her all the more poignant.

That was such a devastating experience. It absolutely gutted me.

Agreed. I’m taking a break before hitting the Epilogue. Probably. And then will I load up part 1 on the XSX? Probably.

I did the PIA trek up to get the White Arabian as early in the game as I could. I was tempted reading all the debates about what the best horse is in the game to “upgrade” but Destiny - my horse”s name - was with me from beginning to end. My loyal partner through the entire journey. I would have never changed horses. (Destiny was also wicked fast - on some bounty missions where you get jumped taking the bounty in, instead of fighting my way past I simply (and easily out ran them. )

I had to go to Blackwater as part of the Epilogue, but I just kept going instead. Jumped on the RR tracks and made it to MacFarlane Ranch. From there, I remembered the way to Armadillo, so I just kept riding until I hit there and got killed by a posse in front of the sheriff’s office. All of the landscapes are pretty much the same. It’s fucking cool. I don’t know if there’s really any post-game stuff set there or not, but it’s cool all the same to be in that world in a new engine.

Not sure if this is a spoiler or not, but I believe the intent of the epilogue is to lead you into Red Dead Online, where this more traditional American Southwest desert area you knew from RDR1 will be in heavy rotation.

Interesting. Well, I don’t do online and I’m taking a break after finishing the epilogues, but I’m glad to know I’ve got a big, beautiful world to ride around in with bounties to collect, animals to hunt, and fish to catch. Well done, R*.

My only Epilogue question: What was the point of having Dutch return in my standoff with Micah? I thought it was unnecessary.

At some point in my game back when I tried getting the Arabian but never could get the “horse whispering” down well enough. Also, in general something about breaking the horse must have changed between RDR1 and RDR2 because it was easy peasy for me in the first game but in the second, not at all. I’d always get thrown.

It sucks that there’s no way to capture/tame a Turkoman horse* in the wild in the game, because those mofos are expensive-- no way to be “high honor” and get the serious coin required. There used to be a bug in the console version that would let you steal one, essentially, but they “fixed” it.

*It’s nearly as fast as the Arabian, a lot less skittish and Arthur looks appropriately sized instead of comically large on its back.

When I played it years ago the secret to breaking a horse was to push the controller stick all the way forward and leave it there until the horse gave up. No moving left or right. Maybe they changed it, but I can confirm it worked for the white Arabian.

Good tip, thanks. If I ever play through the game again I’ll remember that.

For the next few days, apparently, RDR 2 PC version is available on the Humble Store for just under $20 US. Dunno when I’ll ever have the time to play through it again but I am tempted. Is it a historic low?

Historic low is $16.88 in December. But you can get it for $17 at the moment on Greenman or $19.79 on Steam or Humble. Either way, its worth that much easy. Great game.

Oh definitely, and thanks for the tip about GMG’s price. Just wonder how it would run on my somewhat creaky i7 6700. It is paired with a respectable 3060 Ti and G-sync 1440p monitor but still.

I have it and played it through on the PS4 Pro and loved it to death, but I’ve got lots of other games to play (like Dishonored 2 which I only recently started, CP 2077 which I have to finish, CONTROL, Prey etc. same thing) and don’t know if I’d actually ever devote any time to it again. It’s the eternal problem – buying games doesn’t also buy one the time to play them.

If I were to get this, which is the least obnoxious 3rd party DRM? The Rockstar Social Club or Epic Game Store (GMG gives me a choice)? Or is RSC a given in either case, like Ubisoft Connect with Ubi games bought on Steam?

I think you’re stuck with the rockstar launcher either way, at least that’s how it is on steam.

As for how it will run on your rig I think you’ll have no issues. I ran it on my old i7 3730k with a 1080 at 3440 x 1440, with a mixture of ultra, high and medium settings at a good 55 plus fps. I could have dropped a setting or 2 to bump the frame rate but was happy enough with it as it was.

Have a look on reddit for some decent guides for the settings, those worked great for me.

I finally broke down and got RDR2 on sale for PC (the one with RSC DRM). Now my question is where to install it on my machine. The RSC launcher suggests installing it on the C: drive under \Program Files\Rockstar Games but I have a lot more room on another drive (a fast HDD), and the installer tells me it’s over 100 GB in size after all. Will there be any problems installing it on a different drive?