Red Dead Redemption 2 - For a Few Redemptions More

That’s me! :)

Very cool! Who did it?

Photo by my gf at my recent birthday party. It was at a Thai restaurant and instead of a birthday cupcake or whatever, they surprised me with a mango-and-sticky-rice that had a sparkler sticking out of it, which was far better. Photo taken during the obligatory singing. I found some online photo-manipulator to turn it into a reverse-chiaroscuro sketch-like thing.

Well, yo did a good job and it looks really interesting.

Micah is a real sumbitch. But I guess he’s our sumbitch.

I picked up a poster from a train station that requested a perfect rabbit and squirrel carcass for a nature exhibit, and I had just the damnedest time fulfilling that one. I brought a perfect rabbit carcass because they’re relatively easy to obtain, but when I went to the post office I couldn’t send any mail. I couldn’t figure out what I was doing wrong so I cheated a bit and googled and, apparently you’ve got to have both carcasses in your possession before you can mail them out. So you’ve got to get kind of lucky with finding a perfect squirrel and rabbit in fairly close proximity, so that the carcass of the one you kill first doesn’t degrade into, well, less than perfection. And then when I did find squirrels, I couldn’t get a clean kill resulting in a perfect carcass, because apparently squirrels can only be killed with small animal arrows, which I had none of. Luckily you can craft those yourself, which I did, and finally closed that one out. What a hassle.

Hah, I had the opposite problem, I killed a perfect squirrel with that small game arrow, nice, and then I spent 40 minutes trying to find a rabbit, finally suceeding, shooting him…and he runs away like nothing. So WTF, then I check compendium and find out that I need to use Varmint rifle for rabbits, which I did not have…after buying it, I had two perfect carcasses in 5 minutes.

And then mailing it and of course there is a new quest for three carcasses of different animals…

You must have started this mission before doing the hunting quest with Hosea where he just hands you a varmint gun?

Loving this game. Loving it. In Chapter 3 (finished Chapter 2 before I meant to!) and I’m doing a lot of non-story missions, as well as just riding around looking for interesting things and people to discover. With headphones on, the sound is amazing.

One thing that is frustrating is the Legendary Animals piece. I found the Legendary Buck, found the clues, found him and made a nice head shot with the sniper rifle. He fell, jumped up, but only ran about 20 yards before he fell down dead. I ran up to him and was about to skin him, and a bear blindsided me. I had zero chance, so I died. When I rode back to the area, I got a come back later message.

So I went off, did several missions, eventually came back. Now I get the “It’s too active” message. Every time I come back I get the too much activity message. Argh.

Another one: Found the legendary beaver. Not sure how a beaver can be legendary, but so be it. Found it, head shot it. He fell, then jumped up and ran. I followed his tracks, into the water, back out, but then I get a message that he’d decomposed to much to be useful. I had not been tracking for more than a few minutes. Argh #2.

The last argh is the save system. Save the game in a spot, restore it, and I’m across the river not really near where I saved. Even more inexplicable is setting up camp for the night, going to sleep, and waking up in a different location. What’s the deal here?

That said - this is shaping up to be a top 10 games of all time for me. So open, yet so well designed. So much to discover, so many “little things.” I am worried, though, that something I did in the collect loans for the German guy in camp and something that happened in the last one of those is going to have a profound negative result further into the game. Sure hope not.

As anyone who played Red Dead Redemtion should know, profound negative results are Red Dead Redemption 2’s meat and potatoes.

-Tom

All I’ll say is that the end of RDR2 wrecked my emotional sensors. Much like RDR but different.

Yeah, I won’t say more, but I think they’re giving me little tips as to what’s gonna happen. But RDR was a western noir, with that moment that I just could not believe (and I was sure I must have done something wrong) so I would expect nothing less from RDR2. Especially since the writing feels like it’s moved up a level.

I just think I figured out (it’s worked every time so far) that if you press left or right on the L stick when you dismount, you can control what side of the horse you climb off of.

I’m still trying to find a white horse in a white landscape full of white mist. Have been doing so for hours without succes, but loved every minute of it (and got the legendary white bison in the process). Excellent game.

I’m getting really frustrated. I screwed up the Legendary Buck hunt, and now even after sleeping in the hotel, doing other missions, etc every time I go back in the area it says there’s too much activity to track the animal.

Ideas?

Wait until the next chapter, maybe?

Hope not, I just started Chapter 3!

I completed the quest yesterday to interview people for a book. I’ve been working on it slowly for a while, but yesterday I handled the two people who are really far away from my overlook home. One was way up North (good thing I packed my winter gear), and one was way down South (good thing I look my summer gear). As a result, I didn’t actually get back home to camp for a few days.

Sadly, it looks like my absence for a few in-game days was too much temptation for my fellow camp dwelling thieves. My temporary horse was still in camp, but someone had stolen the Legendary Bear pelt off its back. Grrrrrr. I hope I can find clues one day. I’m going to skin someone in retribution for stealing that thing. Do you know how long I’ve been taking care of that bear skin? How much I’ve toiled to keep it with me. All gone because I happen to live in a camp full of scumbags.

I ran into this problem hunting the buck as well, and I basically just wandered in and out of its territory until it let me hunt him. Took about one in-game day. On the upside, I found a cool Indian burial ground that Arthur sketched in his journal.

You were right there! The white Arabian was very nearby the place the White Bison spawned for me, and it got spooked and ran away from the fight. So, look around that spot.