Red Dead Redemption 2 - For a Few Redemptions More

Ya know, I thought about doing that, but I thought the alternative was worse for him.

I do agree that you have free form choices that aren’t scripted. More than once I’ve seen a couple of bounty hunters or lawmen ride by with a guy on the back protesting his innocence, decided he was, and freed him. Same for a jail wagon,

Ya know, I thought about trying to shoot the rope at a hanging. Good to know it’s an option, albeit one requiring a fast horse to get out! ;)

There are some choices here and there even in the missions, particularly sidequests, although they are binary “do good” or “do bad” like “take the money” or “not take the money”, but yeah it is not quite there as an RPG eventhough it is closer than any previous Rockstar game.

I do wish they would take that plunge fully, but I accept they wanted to tell specific story, and it helps that it is all so well written.

Chapter 6 spoiler - I have tuberculosis. I assume this is one of those inevitable things? Or is it possible to avoid catching it? Arthur speculates that he got it from Downes debt collection, but it was so long ago that I do not remember if I could have done anything differently there.

You had no choice, Paul.

Lenny? LENNY!

That’s really well done.

Thanks. I assumed that was the case (it would throw a huge wrench into the story and probably require something like Witcher 2-style divergence) but good to have it confirmed.

Those are scripted.There isn’t some procedural justice engine arresting and transporting criminals.

I got this for my birthday from my friends, it’s installing NOW AND I’M SO EXCITED

You have good friends!

RDR Online comes along this week. I’ll have to consider this.

I saw your post and literally thought “Oh, hey, I might actually try this because I really like playing RDR 2” followed immediately by, “Oh, right, I don’t actually have a PSN membership and I bet I’ll need one”

Oh right, probably.

Quick Google says yes, you need PS+. I don’t have it either. Oh well, I’m fine with that.

Signed up for the PS+ 14-day trial for this. Why not.

What can we expect from RDR2 online? I’ve not played GTA online or the original RDR online. A lot of player generated content? Special events and such? Player housing, perhaps? “Cops and robbers” type shenanigans with outlaw gangs being pursued by lawmen (grab 'em by the posse…)?

All they’ve said so far, I think, is customizable characters, and joining posses for hunting, fishing, gang battles and skirmishes. Hunting and fishing with others doesn’t sound particularly fun to me, but battling gangs with friends should be fun. I bet there’ll be several robbery scenarios (trains, stage coaches, etc.), too, and probably some interesting home invasions.

Judging from GTA Online, I’m guessing races will be a thing. I’ve watched a TON of online races, mostly player made, and they look like a blast. Not sure how well that would translate to RDR2 Online, but there’s potential.

Player housing will almost certainly cost in-game $, and if they follow the GTA route it’ll be called a gang hideout, I bet. Small shacks on the cheaper side, and mansions for those who can afford them.

Who knows what else there will be. I’m optimistic and willing to dive in for a while. My plan is to go solo for a while to build up my savings a bit, and see where it goes.

Re: Red Dead Online - the only thing I’d be interested in would be the possibility to play online, co-op with a friend, in the normally single player world. It doesn’t appeal to me to be riding around and getting jumped by groups of kids who are running around the RDR world griefing as many people as they can. But then again, my play style is extremely laid back in games like RDR (or W3) anyway.

Same. Griefing is a big reason why I tend to be shy when playing online. My hope is bounties and Wanted statuses will be a significant deterrent for random griefing like that. Rockstar may also include the feature they use in GTAO where you can turn off player killing completely (both directions) while you go about doing your thing.

If it’s going to be anything like how GTA Online ended up (nonstop hax and griefing, from what I hear, at least on the PC) naaah.

I played some Witcher 3 this weekend and it was crazy how … Euro glitchy it feels now that I’ve played RDR 2. The horse movement that I used to just love is all wrong now, the strange jank I never noticed before, like his Witcher amulet bouncing around all by itself in cut scenes, all of it was strangely … unpolished feeling, in a game I would have sworn was the most polished RPG on the planet? Hard to explain. Tough to get into for some reason, now.

Oh no! I might have waited too long to play the two expansions then. I wonder if it will feel all janky to me now as well. RDR2 really has brought a whole never level of polish and expectations.