Red Dead Redemption 2 - For a Few Redemptions More

Finished the game, and I remain where I was on it - great world, love trotting around it, and missions remained cutting edge 2005-era design that all too frequently devolve into sub-par cover-shooter shooting galleries.

I did wind up invested quite a bit in Arthur, even if took until chapter three or so, and liked how the main story concluded. And then the epilogues happened, and the game lost me again. It’s nice to see my two favourite characters Sadie and Charles make it out ok, I guess, but it’s just doing the prequel thing of connecting dots that didn’t need connecting.

@tomchick drew the connection to Blade Runner 2049 in his review, and one of the key things about that is that it doesn’t matter what happens after that final shot. If Rockstar made that movie, it’d have dragged on for another 40 minutes and shat its thematic pants.

It honestly feels like it’s just there as a narrative justification for eventually letting you roam and hunt collectibles you missed.

While I don’t feel the need or the benefit of comparing two great games in their own right, I will, Kinda, ;)

While RDR2 doesn’t provide the moral dilemma that Witcher 3 often did in decisions, primarily because it doesn’t offer the freedom of decisions that W3 did, I do appreciate that the developers sometimes surprise me with a mission. Without spoilers, I just did a mission for a stranger that I ran across in Rhodes, and I expected a pretty standard fetch mission. I was looking forward to it anyway, because I really wanted to help this poor guy out. I’ll just say they threw me a curve ball on this one.

The difference is that, in W3, I would have had at least a couple of choices in how to deal with the end part of the mission. Neither necessarily being the “right” decision. In RDR2, the mission ends with a satisfying end, but there’s no choice on my part at that point.

Witcher 3, and RDR2 so far, both are on my all time top 10 list at this point, for different reasons. IMO one thing RDR2 does “better” than W3 is the open world itself. I loved exploring every inch of the world, on foot, i W3. However, much of the world was pretty empty. Even with nothing really significant going on, I can enjoy just riding around and exploring the lakes and rivers and hills and mountains in RDR2, the vast array of wildlife, the amazing sounds of the world, and more. Now if they just had some of the blackjack tables in the cities and towns of RDR2 set up for Gwent. ;)

Anyone notice that if Arthur is wearing a mask, his voice sounds muffled?

I was trying to collect a cow hide, so I walked into a fenced pasture with some cows in it. Shot one of the cows, and of course the cowherds all drew their irons. During the resulting shootout, a section of fence got blown apart, which allowed all the cows (all the cows who managed to dodge bullets, that is) to escape, so I was escaping across the countryside avoiding cows with the law on my heels.

Side note: did you know if you have a lawman tied up and laid across your saddle, you can’t ever lose the Wanted designation? Because there’s a lawman right there on your saddle to see you. . .

. . .Another side note: NPCs can’t swim while tied up. My Arthur is a bad man who has done some really bad things.

I think the choices in RDR2 more often come in the form of deciding whether to engage something at all.

Like deciding to free a prisoner from a jail wagon, or a guy being taken in by bounty hunters. Or helping those guys building the house. Or helping the hooker who keeps killing people.

That last one was funny… I helped her like 3 times, when she kept "accidentally"murdering people. Then one day, I was in Valentine, and they were having a hanging. It was the hooker. They had apparently caught her.

I listened to them condemn her to death, and right before they pulled the lever, I shot the rope. She jumped off the platform and ran away. I shot the sheriff and his men, and rode off myself. I wasn’t able to find her, so I’m not sure if I’ll run into her again.

I think I just did this mission and there was a choice of sorts at the end.

I shot the guy and got positive karma points as he keeled over and started burning in his own campfire. My choice whether to let him suffer or not I guess. I really wanted to loot him though so I ended up also dying in said fire lol

Ya know, I thought about doing that, but I thought the alternative was worse for him.

I do agree that you have free form choices that aren’t scripted. More than once I’ve seen a couple of bounty hunters or lawmen ride by with a guy on the back protesting his innocence, decided he was, and freed him. Same for a jail wagon,

Ya know, I thought about trying to shoot the rope at a hanging. Good to know it’s an option, albeit one requiring a fast horse to get out! ;)

There are some choices here and there even in the missions, particularly sidequests, although they are binary “do good” or “do bad” like “take the money” or “not take the money”, but yeah it is not quite there as an RPG eventhough it is closer than any previous Rockstar game.

I do wish they would take that plunge fully, but I accept they wanted to tell specific story, and it helps that it is all so well written.

Chapter 6 spoiler - I have tuberculosis. I assume this is one of those inevitable things? Or is it possible to avoid catching it? Arthur speculates that he got it from Downes debt collection, but it was so long ago that I do not remember if I could have done anything differently there.

You had no choice, Paul.

Lenny? LENNY!

That’s really well done.

Thanks. I assumed that was the case (it would throw a huge wrench into the story and probably require something like Witcher 2-style divergence) but good to have it confirmed.

Those are scripted.There isn’t some procedural justice engine arresting and transporting criminals.

I got this for my birthday from my friends, it’s installing NOW AND I’M SO EXCITED

You have good friends!

RDR Online comes along this week. I’ll have to consider this.

I saw your post and literally thought “Oh, hey, I might actually try this because I really like playing RDR 2” followed immediately by, “Oh, right, I don’t actually have a PSN membership and I bet I’ll need one”

Oh right, probably.

Quick Google says yes, you need PS+. I don’t have it either. Oh well, I’m fine with that.

Signed up for the PS+ 14-day trial for this. Why not.

What can we expect from RDR2 online? I’ve not played GTA online or the original RDR online. A lot of player generated content? Special events and such? Player housing, perhaps? “Cops and robbers” type shenanigans with outlaw gangs being pursued by lawmen (grab 'em by the posse…)?

All they’ve said so far, I think, is customizable characters, and joining posses for hunting, fishing, gang battles and skirmishes. Hunting and fishing with others doesn’t sound particularly fun to me, but battling gangs with friends should be fun. I bet there’ll be several robbery scenarios (trains, stage coaches, etc.), too, and probably some interesting home invasions.

Judging from GTA Online, I’m guessing races will be a thing. I’ve watched a TON of online races, mostly player made, and they look like a blast. Not sure how well that would translate to RDR2 Online, but there’s potential.

Player housing will almost certainly cost in-game $, and if they follow the GTA route it’ll be called a gang hideout, I bet. Small shacks on the cheaper side, and mansions for those who can afford them.

Who knows what else there will be. I’m optimistic and willing to dive in for a while. My plan is to go solo for a while to build up my savings a bit, and see where it goes.