Red Dead Redemption 2 - For a Few Redemptions More

I’m hoping if I just keep playing it will start to feel more “normal” again - RDR 2 is very immersive, and it can feel strange when you are doing the same type of activities (like riding a horse) in another game, so it could just be something I have to re-acclimate to. I will hold off on my second Witcher 3 play through for now though, come back to it maybe next summer when I’m looking for a retro game to get back into.

Yesterday I tracked down a bounty, who was holed up in a fort. After I took him down, I put his body on my horse and started riding back to collect my bounty. People recognized his body and bounty hunters started chasing me and killed me. After I reloaded, I took out my rifle as I put the body on the horse, that way instead of pulling out my pistol I pulled out my rifle when I encountered the bounty hunters.

I like that I have to think about things like that. Taking the rifle or the shotgun out from the horse, and slinging it across my back, in case I run into trouble, which is then more immediately available than having to fiddle through the menu and inventories and such. Preparing beforehand actually means having the gun on you and having it more easily available. It’s very appropriately less fiddly and less busywork than trying to dig through the menu at times of trouble.

I reached the end of chapter 6 and

spoilers

Arthur’s goodbye to his horse absolutely gutted me. Even though he’d picked up other faster horses along the way, he had stuck with Pete from the beginning. Fed and brushed every day, given a nice pat whenever hitched, and routinely cared for at the stables. Arthur knew he was about to die, but to see his closest companion taken away like that (and so shortly after the death of his new friend Hamish) was utterly crushing. I don’t think an in-game death has affected me this much since season 1 of The Walking Dead.

Dammit… I’m tearing up a bit just thinking about it.

I have now switched to my dual Scholfields with Express ammo for Legendary animals. The first 3 times I killed the Legendary White Bison with my Rolliing Rock rifle with Express ammo it ran into the lake and sank before it died. Twice I killed the legendary Beaver with my Rolling Rock rifle and it ran off and died in the river.

So I decided, if I can get relatively close, using Deadeye, I can unload both revolvers with their express ammo, and maybe that will do more damage. Sure enough, the White Bison went down after taking one step once I filled it with lead from my revolvers. Same for the Legendary Beaver; I used Deadeye, unloaded my Scholfields, and it died without moving a step.

I haven’t tried this with the Legendary Grizzly yet. But I will, Should be interesting.

When I’m hunting perfect pelts:

When I’m hunting legendary pelts:

lol so true.

Speaking of the Schofield, I seem to have lost it in the mission that ends Chapter 2. Now I didn’t acquire it legitimately in the first place, but has that happened to anyone else? Kinda bummed.

Yeah, i had the same thing happen… but you should be able to able to just buy two of them now.

But them and fully upgrade them, then you will have them forever.

Yes. I’ve lost both a Lancaster repeater and a Schofield revolver, and those are both my most used weapons. Bummed me out. But by that point I had lots of money so I just bought them back.

If by upgraded you mean fully customized, the weapons I lost were fully upgraded. I don’t think that helps.

For me…

I had done a series of questions with the veteran Hunter guy, and when he finally died, he gave me his horse Buelle, who was this awesome golden badass… And that was the horse i was riding in that scene.

I am in chapter six and some guns are still locked - automatic shotgun, litchfield rifle etc

are these EVER gonna unlock?

I think you may have to find them in the world. I certainly found the auto shotgun somewhere - I didn’t buy it and it wasn’t a quest reward.

I think there are some weapons that don’t unlock until the epilogues.

Jeez. Those better be some damn fine long-ass epilogues then!

They are, but they aren’t how you unlock the weapons you describe. I believe those open up after certain side quests you may not have done yet.

One unlocks in chapter 4, one in chapter 6 so you may have just not played far enough for the rifle.

Can anyone say without spoilers: is there a point where I should stop progressing through the story if I want to use Arthur to complete challenges and hunts, etc.

Yeah I have the semi-auto shotgun, but there is one more better shotgun after that.

Ok so Litchfield will be later in chapter 6. Ok.

Oh, you may have meant the repeating shotgun - that’s unlocked in Chapter 6 as well.

Don’t start the mission Our Best Selves. That’s the point of no return.

Sweet. Thanks!