Red Dead Redemption sequel?

Yes, I have the same setup. Physical disc, but Undead Nightmare on Xbox Live. That should work. And today I got all the multiplayer DLC for free on Xbox Live. That was really nice of them. To unite the multiplayer community. Everyone should grab that free DLC.

@Rock8man
Thanks for the reply.

As to the title of this thread, is there in fact a sequel to RDR in the works? I gave up hope long ago of a Windows port of the original game, of course.

My understanding is: lots of rumors, nothing announced on the sequel front.

I installed my disc-based version of RDR this morning and dinked around a bit. I jumped on my horse, set off for the other end of the game map, and came across a damsel in distress. As the gentleman bandit I am, I jumped off my horse and found I was the victim of a setup. I was asked to drop my guns, instead drew and shot one, and was immediately gunned down. I forgot how fragile characters were. I also forgot the mountain lions were the supreme predators of the old west. I don’t know how we ever survived that era, honestly.

Aargh, those mountain lions were the worst. They would one-shot you before you knew what had happened.

Never take a knife to a cat fight!

[quote=“Digital Foundry”]An Xbox One test of the Undead Nightmare expansion shows an even bigger gain over Xbox 360’s performance than those we see in the main game. Each town is filled with zombies and a pervasive fog effect in this case, both of which combine to a more performance-sapping effect on the original Xbox 360 hardware. Fortunately, its 20fps dips and bouts of screen-tear are again removed via backwards compatibility on Xbox One.

It’s not a perfect 30fps lock, and approaching the zombie-infested Blackwater town produces a lurch to 28fps on Microsoft’s newer machine. By and large though, the expansion continues the trend of the core adventure; a closer adherence to 30fps when played on Xbox One, a smoother experience overall - sometimes dramatically so - and with v-sync fully engaged at all times to remove screen-tear.[/quote]

So Undead Nightmare is improved even more than the base game via backwards compatibility.

I wish you could crank up the framerate to 60fps and turn anti-aliasing on. It’s still a great looking game, though. Truly hope Rockstar is working on a sequel.

I really, really hope they address the one complaint I had about RDR: the non-random and very repetitive random encounters. The first time you encounter the guy stranded in the middle of nowhere and he asks for help, or the woman next to the broken down carriage, it’s an interesting encounter. The 30th time and it is the EXACT SAME “surprise” it is just a “Hey don’t forget this is a game with a ton of these 5 “random” encounters dropped all over the map!” irritation.

The main story line and the main character were memorable, with a Western Noir experience that to this day still in burned into my gaming brain. Just please don’t be so lazy with the tiny number of never varying “random” encounters.

Is this the bullshit guy who steals your horse? At least SOMETIMES he could honor his request for a ride back to town, then it’d be an interesting random interaction with some variability. One time it was a woman, way out in the middle of nowhere in her girly saloon pantaloons and everything! I was like, oh, well, a woman wouldn’t jack my horse, right?

Of course she did.

For the record, yes, sometimes the person flagging you down for a ride just wants a ride back into town. Last time I played, I think it happened twice. Granted, most of the time they attempt to steal your horse. But it does happen.

I played RDR for a HUGE amount of time. Just roaming the countryside just to roam. In all that time I never, ever had the guy legitimately want a ride into town. I came up with things to do when he inevitably stole my horse - shoot him, try to lasso him and tie him up and leave him that way in the desert, etc.

Same for the lady flagging me down next to the broken down carriage. And the other small number of “random” encounters.

How much extra time would it have taken, in a huge game like this, to come up with, say, 10 different outcomes for that encounter? It really came across as lazy to me when playing. Even though I still consider RDR an all time classic, due to the story and presentation of that story,

Oh it probably will be. Two years after the console release. :/

This isn’t on just you, as a lot of people tend to do this, but you happened to do it twice recently (plus I recently chatted with a buddy about this topic, so this stuff stands out in my mind).

Remember how irritating it was to read people declaring reviews as “obviously corrupt and on the take of publishers” even though you know from experience that it’s actually pretty much the opposite?

Developers usually get that feeling whenever someone not on the team calls them or their work “lazy,” =)

Thierry - thank you for that reminder. I do indeed remember from my writing days visiting teams like CJ Martin’s EA team when they were working on a flight sim, and the incredible amount of time and sweat and effort and cots in the office where they caught brief snatches of sleep. That was a pretty thoughtless post on my part - you’re right, these guys are far from “lazy.”

My sincere apologies to anyone in the game development world for my comment. It is valid to say that feature as implemented was frustrating to me. Not valid to say the team working 25 hour days and deciding what their priorities are were “lazy.” Mea Culpa.

Cryptic teaser anyone?

Damn… So whats the SOONEST this damn game could be here? ie What is the shortest announcement / marketing time possible?
I need this game to here yesterday!

(I’m guessing 6 months? ie an April/May release like RDR & GTA4 were?)

So this either:

An RDR remaster (or sequel) on the PS4/XB1 only and no PC, in which case my anger will rise, but then I will finally use my PS4 for something.

Or…

An RDR PC remaster and there will be much rejoicing.

Or…

Something super weird.

My guesses:

Remaster launching in early 2017. Comes out on PC close to the console version. Then the remaster gets an extra push once Scorpio launches next year, as an engine test bed for a sequel.

The sequel, after numerous delays, ends up launching in the Fall of 2018.

Hope it’s both as well. A PC/NextGen remaster of Redemption, and then a full blown sequel also in the works.

It’d be just so weird for as important a game as RDR is, if it was just allowed to be marooned as a title on legacy consoles that are starting to fade away.