Red Dead Redemption - Spoiler Thread!

Even though I really liked Abigail and John/Abigail had great chemistry together that last scene with Bonnie is so sad. Especially the way that last shot lingers.

I don’t think there’s anything to explain. Like many of the stranger missions, it’s just sort of a “huh” moment.

Pity, I wanted to know more.

There is no other result, this was just another mission to remind you that some people can’t change and that getting involved sometimes makes things worse.

I thought it was just John helping out a prostitute because his wife used to be one. Or am I thinking of a different stranger mission?

No, that’s the one.

I really wish they had done some kind of tragic ending where John didn’t die (like maybe his family had gotten killed in the raid), complete with revenge mission and riding off into the sunset. It would be a great setup for a sequel.

BTW, unrelated: did anyone try fording the river at the point where you eventually drive the cattle before “officially” opening up that part of the map in the SP game? Or is it unfordable at that point?

Oh, and Xbox freezeup-wise, I had the one I mentioned above when I had Jack end it all, and the other one (well-documented and observed by others) where the game crashes if you get arrested while wearing the poncho.

Kind of a misguided message when the game doesn’t give you a choice but to get involved. Killing the guy from the start would probably have made everything turn out pretty well for the girl, but doing that fails the mission.

See “The Wronged Woman” mission for another example of the game forcing a “bad” ending by forcing the player to kill a wrongfully accused man, then implying that you were “duped” into doing so.

Thanks all, hmm. Ah well.

Btw I did think Johns wife put into good context his “Those days are over” lack of frolicking with the prostitutes in the game. A nice touch and wink to the GTA past from R* imho.

I didn’t get that feeling at all-- I think that the widow at the graveyard was blissfully unaware of her late husband’s extracurricular activities.

Then you should read the final notes in the stranger section of your journal… :)

Very satisfying conclusion, especially when I did the final duel with the mauser machine pistol. I’m pretty sure that was ten bullets to the face, then the rest into his chest for good measure. Good distance on the body’s flight backwards into the river from it.

I’ll place my mark on this here form rating the Mexico contacts the low point in the game, for reasons well covered. Most of that should have been slashed in favor of seeding more stranger tasks throughout the game.

For my armchair design druthers, I also would have made the wildlife just a mite less utterly psycho-rabid. As it was, when John’s teaching his son how to hunt, the dialogue was off. Instead of “the key to hunting is patience” it should have been, “Them books might tell you the key to hunting is patience, but boy that just ain’t true. What you do is just ride around, and most animals will just fling themselves at you begging to die!”

If I were broke and needed some cash in New Austin, I’d wait for some suitably vigilante looking guy to ride past, at which point I’d run up and say “Help! That guy stole my horse!”, point at poor random sap on his way out of town, then sit back and wait for my free horse.

As mentioned, there are some notes in the “Strangers” section of the stats page, but unfortunately it’s mostly just a downer. You bought her freedom, her pimp came for her and she went with him. He then killed and buried her.

Oh 8( Thanks.

How do you get notes on a stranger job you’ve already finished?

Stats screen, the Strangers section has summary notes on every stranger quest chain you’ve finished up.

Also, the widow mentioning that the girl was laughing at the husband’s funeral seems somewhat at odds with the girl’s anguished reaction when you told her he was dead, no?

So out of the 20 or so stranger missions ( I think there were 20)

My top 3 favorites were :

I know you ( the devil follows Marston around watching him )
Deadalus and Son ( the flying guy 8D )
Flowers for a Lady ( come have tea with is wife!!! )

In terms of cutscenes, I assume, and in that sense I agree. “Deadalus and Son” and “Flowers for a Lady” were possibly the worst two stranger missions in terms of gameplay though, as they were both just collection quests.

Besides “I Know You,” which is far and away the best overall, I think my favorite was “Aztec Gold,” since it’s more treasure hunting, and I really liked the treasure hunting challenges. I was also a fan of “American Lobbyist,” since you get to keep the pictures afterwards, and they’re pretty funny.

For reasons explained, my least favorite stranger was “The Wronged Woman.”

Read the strangers page in stats as suggested - the notes indicate that you were duped into stealing money from the man.