Red Dwarf

Glad this is back. Such a weird journey for this show, to end, then gain a bit of cult cred, to coming back as a special, then a new series.

I love it though, one of my favorite shows of all time ever, any more of it is awesome.

Did they add back the live audience laugh track? The show is generally paced for a laugh track, and Back to Earth just seemed painful without it.

Hearing it isn’t nearly as painful as more recent attempts to bring it back were and that the cast/characters are standing up to the test of time. Looking forward to checking out the new series.

Yep it is back and it is much better with it. But seriously it was just funny as hell, at least I found it that. And considering how much I love this show (I watched it about 5 times all the way through since 1998) I am really happy it is back. After all that clusterfuck with the movie I was losing hope.

I thought the first 5 or so minutes were a little forced, but let it go as it seemed they were spending some time reintroducing the characters. After that is loosened up a a bit and I quite enjoyed it.

The moose sequence was classic Dwarf.

It’s interesting, if symptomatic that they picked up the new series.

Dave does do the occasional new show. And given that old Red Dwarf makes up about a fifth of their regular content, it makes sense for them to show the new one.

I just caught up with the new show and thought it was a pretty average Red Dwarf episode, which is fine by me. Nice to have the old buggers back.

Review of the first episode’s recording session the author attended as part of the live audience. Looking forward to catching it.

It’s gone now…

The first episode of this new season was my first time watching Red Dwarf (heard about it often and skimmed clips on youtube over the years of course.) Quite British, the humor and delivery is a little dated, and still I had my chuckles… but there is no excuse for a laugh track in the twenty-first century. :(

The series has always had one except for the movie they did a few years ago, and without it the humor in that felt very forced, at least to me. It’s a show that actually benefits from a laugh track, IMHO.

If you read the review I linked above, you’ll see they filmed most of it in front of a studio audience, just like they used to; Season X is very much a deliberate throwback to the glory days of RD - laugh track `n all.

Yeah… I actually read here about the live studio audience before I watched the episode and then entirely forgot about that fact. Kind of all the same from my couch, I guess. Probably isn’t a big deal for fans of the show.

Is this on somewhere in the US?

Nope.

So far, it’s a perfect throwback to older seasons. Granted, I don’t think I’ve seen anything between Series 3 (maybe 4) and Series 10.

Edit: Favorite scene of all time: Today’s fish is Traute à la Crèm

It looks like the first three episodes are on YouTube. At the moment, anyway. Don’t expect that to last long.

So I watched the new episodes. Better than I was hoping and certainly better then that movie a few years back. In retrospect I’m surprised that did well enough to convince the Dave TV folks to do this, but I’m not complaining.

It is a little weird, though, since they start off showing the Starbug flying around but use different sets then the previous series and refer to the ship as the Red Dwarf. I don’t really follow how any of that happened since the movie didn’t really pick up from Series 8 and they don’t really explain anything here either. Then in episode two they are clearly back on the Red Dwarf. Odd.

hahahahahahaha!!!

Well, looks like another day of Kryten failing to call Rimmer a smeghead on endless loop in my head. Thanks for that!

6F692A21-1ABD-4981-AEE2-DF756CAFC3B4