Red Dwarf

Wow, the show is still going, I just learned. Season 11 and 12 came out in the last couple of years, and Season 13 is due out soon. Crazy.

I loved the first few seasons, and then I watched an episode or two from some other season once, and it was terrible, so I’m not sure if I should try to catch up from the beginning again.

Also, it looks like it’s not available for streaming anywhere except some service called Britbox.

I have the first eight series of Red Dwarf on DVD. This kind of harks back to a time before Netflix, or at least before streaming, if you wanted these things then you bought them. I also have the full run of Futurama, the first ten seasons of the Simpsons, and the entirety of Monty Python’s Flying Circus. Oh, and the Criterion box set of the Zatoichi movies, that’s I think twenty-six movies. I don’t know why I share this, beyond further detailing my serious collector impulses.

Heh. Believe me, I was really tempted when they released those DVD sets. If they hadn’t been out of my price range back then, I would have gotten them. And then later, all the seasons of Red Dwarf were on Netflix Instant Streaming back in 2009 or so, I think, so I thought I’d always have the option to watch them on Netflix from then on, which was a nice comforting thought.

They have been pretty good. Maybe not great? No potato king and certainly formulaic at this point, but we look forward to every new episode.

Quoting myself FTW!

There’s no Kochanski in Series IX (which is actually more of an anniversary special/standalone movie) or Series X, and both of those are set on Red Dwarf. And frankly, Red Dwarf X is as good as anything they’ve ever done.

Rock8man, I think you should try out the show again. There are still some good to great episodes in pretty much every season.

I stopped watching around season 8, which was just terrible. I really should dive back in.

Was series 8 the one where they’re all in jail? That one was pretty weak.

I think so. I’ve likely blocked it out.

Anywhere where all of the seasons are available? I’ve never seen past maybe the third season, though I have seen the occasional episode with Kryten.

Chappers had the answer upthread last year:

7 day free trial, and then $7 a month. Not bad. If I can binge watch all 12 seasons in 5 weeks, it would only cost $7. If I’m a little slow and binge it at about an episode a day, maybe $14.

I’ve actually been tempted to add Britbox to my Amazon Prime for a while now…

Do it, you know you secretly want to be British ;)

It’s a big part of my heritage, truth be told.

When you’re done binging Red Dwarf (or before), watch Life On Mars while you still have the subscription!

I agree with this summary. The new seasons (11&12) are pretty good again. Strangely this is the one show that my wife and my son will watch with me. My 11year old daughter is still not into Red Dwarf but I am working on it.

So, this is definitely my favorite show. And I even liked seasons 7-10.

The new seasons have been great!

You should buy Farscape.

The thought’s crossed my mind.

The trouble is that if I actually had British TV, I’d never be able to pry my wife away from the screen again.