Red Dwarf

Ah, that is a good number two or so for me.

It is but I can’t believe this one isn’t getting more love.

I think Series 5 was the peak, possibly.

So, let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you’re telling me you are completely sane?! I think that warrants 2 hours of W.O.O.

It’s certainly the one episode I always come to first when thinking about the best of Red Dwarf.

I felt like every episode of Season 5 was a classic.

Still enjoying Season 7 by the way. I’m glad they switched out the actress for Kochanski from the actress they had in the first two seasons. It’s amazing how they can do an episode called “Blue” in Season 7, two episodes after Rimmer left, about how much Lister misses Rimmer, and it actually got me to tear up. I miss Rimmer too!

Yeah, your watch spurred me to do a re-view (a season is only 2 hours ish) and so I am taking a break from BSG. I really think they hit stride in Series 3. Robert Llewellyn as Kryton and the writing just kicks into high gear that Season, and doesn’t let up for a while. The plots also get more intelligent and we move past simple “Odd Couple” stuff with Lister and Rimmer.

He’s Arnold Rimmer,
He’s also a fantastic swimmer
And if you play your cards right
Then he just might come round for dinner

I reached Season 8. God, I’m loving this turn of events so much. I won’t spoil anything, except to say that Red Dwarf is back, and the original Holly is back, you guys! Holly from Season 1 and 2! That guy is so good. He carried the show comedically in those first couple of seasons, and it’s good to see him back.

I certainly didn’t see this coming at all, but it all makes sense, given how Season 7 ended. This is brilliant so far!

Something is off about Kochanski in Season 8. I can’t quite put my finger on what, but she seems really different from the Kochanski in Season 7. (I’m two episodes into Season 8).

Smack the Pony was on Hulu at one point, but it’s long gone now. I still regret not finishing that series when I had the chance.

I started watching this show from the recorded PBS pledge drives years ago. Unfortunately, I only caught the last episode of Series 1, but then recorded all of Series 2-4. I was sick a week later and pretty much watched them all on repeat. So 2-4 are pretty familiar, but S1 still seems a little fresher.

And then, months later, I did the same thing: missed S5, but recorded S6. So again, the S5 episodes always seem better, just because I didn’t watch them as much.

(My son’s favorite season is Red Dwarf X, by the way. I think it’s as good as anything they’ve ever done, with the caveat that everyone is much older.)

So after Season 8, Season IX (Back to Earth) was a huge shock. It’s one thing for viewers to pick up on the story 9 years later, from 1999 to 2009, but for me, going from Season 8 Episode 8 to Season 9 Episode 1 was a pretty huge shock. Not just because the actors have aged, but because everyone really did die in S8E8.

Luckily the rest of Season 9 addressed that shock pretty well. I love how they kept referencing a missing season throughout the episode. This is as Meta as Red Dwarf has ever gotten and I freakin’ loved it. Having no laugh track was wonderful, and the show was so funny and well written.

Season 10 just got to a good start too. First episode was quite good.

Season 9 just made me realize though: I do love this show so much at this point, there’s no doubt in my mind I’ll be watching this whole series from beginning to end again one day. Probably multiple times.

I know it’s an old show but I wish you’d spoiler tagged that; wasn’t expecting those kinds of specifics on the newer series! We were deliberating over whether to watch them having stopped at season 5 or 6 earlier this year (we’re late to the party too). The updates here were turning us, particularly your praise!

I spoiler tagged it, but it’s not… I mean, it’s not something that’s in the show itself, so you won’t be spoiled on anything on the screen, just what’s the premise of what goes on between seasons.

Ah okay, I did wonder! A bit like Lister and the twins?

Yeah, exactly.

It’s about as much of a spoiler as saying they lose the Red Dwarf for a while. That’s just a thing that happens.

Cool. Sorry to be so sensitive about it! I was just like ‘Argh!’ while my eyes skipped over it.

My son and I have watched everything through Series X (Ten), and he has talked about watching all the episodes back to back at some point in the future (over several weeks, I mean). But he doesn’t know that Series 11 or 12 even exist, much less that I bought them both on Blu-ray! Can’t wait to surprise him!

I’m currently almost done with Season 11. It’s been a good one.

I love that Kryten just gets fatter and fatter as the seasons go on, and they just dress him up as an android as best they can and just ignore it. :)

Man, the season 11 finale was so good.

The polymorph returned! But wait, at the end of the episode, the original polymorph is still missing, right? So it’s still on Red Dwarf?