Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 Available via Steam on March 14

Hmm, I don’t think I’ll be picking it up anytime soon, but that might just have gotten me interested enough to check it out in a few months.

CS… DoD… except RO is much better.

Sure, cool. I wouldn’t have paid $25 for CS or DoD either, by the way… I generally prefer a single-player experience. I can see the value, though… I just didn’t read into the game much before making my claim of “$25 for a mod”

I don’t blame you, I had the same exact reaction about the price until I read more into the game.

I preordered, thanks to the enthusiasm in this thread and the video of gameplay. I look forward to driving a tank with some of you soon.

I spent a few hours playing it tonight on the TG server and so far my initial impressions are meh.

Infantry movement and modeling seems like it’s taken a turn for the worse since I last played the mod a year ago or so. It feels like you’re in control of an 80 year old avatar with arthritis. I realize they’re modeling infantry as encumbered soldiers but it feels too lethargic and un-natural for my tastes. It almost bothers me as much as the movement in Thief DS. The upside of course is that you don’t see any Quake-ish behavior like you do in DoD:S but still it feels like an un happy medium between simulation and arcade.

3rd person infantry movement looks robotic and close quarters combat can be really frustrating. Even though a guy is just a few feet away from me, my side arm will fucking miss because I’m not using the iron sights and trying to charge someone with a bayonet feels like you’re the aforementioned arthritic guy.

Performance wise it seems like the frames have gone down, even on some of the same maps that never gave me trouble in the mod version.

The game comes with VOIP but sadly it seems bugged as voices cut out frequently :{ For some reason VOIP sucked in the mod as well which is strange since UT2004 does VOIP quite well. Kind of frustrating when you consider these guys had access to the source code for almost a year I think.

Some of the maps are really large and could benefit from having 64 player slots but I haven’t seen any of those. In fact I don’t recall ever seeing a 64 player server (at least one that ran well) in the free mod version. With just 32 players it sometimes feels like you’re playing WW2OL in the off hours with just a handful of people scattered about the landscape trying to take objectives on their own. The game seemed a bit laggy as well, regardless of what map I was playing.

EDIT: Looks like VOIP is bugged if you use EAX audio so keep that turned off.

Well, crap.

Well those are just my impressions, would love to hear what others think. If infantry movement didn’t feel like a 50’s robot horror flick I think I’d like it more.

I played on TG server too, it was so disorganized that people weren’t talking to each other at all. The reality is people are just new to the game, give it a few days/weeks. I’m sure if you go on a server with people who have played before [the mod] it’d be more interesting.

Infantry movement and modeling seems like it’s taken a turn for the worse since I last played the mod a year ago or so. It feels like you’re in control of an 80 year old avatar with arthritis. I realize they’re modeling infantry as encumbered soldiers but it feels too lethargic and un-natural for my tastes. It almost bothers me as much as the movement in Thief DS. The upside of course is that you don’t see any Quake-ish behavior like you do in DoD:S but still it feels like an un happy medium between simulation and arcade.

I really wish I could say something, but having played all the games you’re talking about I have no problems with the movement. Then again, I didn’t think Thief’s movement was so bad either (I played it in 3rd person). The key here is to use the “Sprint” button. Your character has quite a bit of stamina so you might look into that ;).

3rd person infantry movement looks robotic and close quarters combat can be really frustrating. Even though a guy is just a few feet away from me, my side arm will fucking miss because I’m not using the iron sights and trying to charge someone with a bayonet feels like you’re the aforementioned arthritic guy.

Well, you just described your own problem there. Either learn how to hip shoot (its not that hard /w a rifle close range), or use the IS. The graphical animations though are a big step up from the mod days, though I didn’t buy this game to look at the prettyness, so I haven’t really noticed.

Performance wise it seems like the frames have gone down, even on some of the same maps that never gave me trouble in the mod version.
Try turning off HDR (it’s just bloom), they added that now that the mod is running Unreal 2.5.

The game comes with VOIP but sadly it seems bugged as voices cut out frequently :{ For some reason VOIP sucked in the mod as well which is strange since UT2004 does VOIP quite well. Kind of frustrating when you consider these guys had access to the source code for almost a year I think.
Agreed. Maybe they’ll fix it in a patch, or maybe it’s just a server thing. I could hear people fine half the time.

Some of the maps are really large and could benefit from having 64 player slots but I haven’t seen any of those. In fact I don’t recall ever seeing a 64 player server (at least one that ran well) in the free mod version. With just 32 players it sometimes feels like you’re playing WW2OL in the off hours with just a handful of people scattered about the landscape trying to take objectives on their own. The game seemed a bit laggy as well, regardless of what map I was playing.

I sort of agree there need to be larger servers. At the same time, without a squad infrastructure like Battlefield 2, it would become far more chaotic and deathmatch-y then it already is. The bit about WW2OL is probably because people are still unfamiliar with the game and aren’t actively trying to take objectives. The game is also not very laggy, but the TG server was (over 100 ping) for some reason. You might try it out on a local <30ms server.

EDIT: Looks like VOIP is bugged if you use EAX audio so keep that turned off.

Is this for receiving or transmitting? I shall try this.

What puzzles me the most is how you didn’t mention the most annoying thing IMHO – no Iron Sight zoom. Which in turn leads me to wonder how often you actually use Iron Sight :).

I don’t really have any feedback of my own for now except that the game seems a step up from the mod, but it won’t be really fun until everyone else learns how to play. People just seem to jump on the servers without reading the manual or whatever. I was playing a tank map and my gunner would do stupid crap or my driver wouldn’t stop when we spotted an enemy, etc.

Interestingly enough, if anyone here is a twitch junkie, this game may be for you. The twitch in this case being able to aim lightning fast, since it’s all one-shot-one-kill. If you’re twitch in the sense you need to run around the map as if on crack, probably not the right game for you ;).

True, I think once everyone gets used to the new maps we’ll see better teamwork and coordination.

I’m used to the iron sights as I have played the mod although it was awhile ago. The fire to reload with the rifles caught me off guard initially.

Well, cool!

After the initial bewilderment of click-to-reload, lack of commo rose (BF2 really spoils you) and squads, I got into it. It’s a bit hard to work as a team when you’re not sure who’s talking (whether it’s local or team). Finally, the game is new enough that I’m sure I’m missing some input through sensory misdirection (BF2 habits). I was also worried about the running speed, as TG has been playing TacMod which makes BF2 almost glacial - I ended up quite pleased with the amount of stamina given for sprint, as well as the default walking speed.

By the end of the night I was already learning to look for cover up ahead, look around me quite a bit more, and flick from hipped to ironsight instinctively. My best moment was defending the Church from a ditch quite a ways behind it. I took down 4 bad guys in rapid succession, a single shot each.

It might be difficult to go back to BF2, with its amazingly inaccurate guns and UAVs.

Things that help:

• learn how to lean
  • learn how to support your weapon on objects; it dramatically improves accuracy
  • when going into a building with a rifle, affix bayonet
  • don’t jump unless you really really have to. It eats half of your stamina and only makes you more visible.
  • generally, keep to your class’s specialty. Don’t clear buildings as a rifleman, don’t do medium range combat with an SMG.

The VOIP seemed to work fine here, comparable to BF2’s quality. I generally have a hard time understanding people, but that wasn’t an issue in RO.

I’m definitely looking forward to some teamwork crystallizing, but I think it’ll take a good deal more effort than in BF2.

I liked it. Had several entertaining moments, like seeing an enemy tank put several rounds SQUARE into ours … only to have the round glance off at high speed into the sky. It then fell to the side with a small explosion … woe to those who were using the tank as cover (eep)!

Another good one was defending one of the hotspots, with 4 guys rushing towards it. I was behind our own lines in a ditch, keeping my head down and not moving a lot. I got all 4 of them with the automatic rifle, singing praises to ballistics all the while. Then I got cocky and didn’t bother changing positions … grenaded.

Let’s see…I really like the class limits. It’d be so easy on certain maps to turn the match into a snipe / MG war - but the way it is now, that’ll never happen.

Some tips:

• learn to lean
  • learn to support your gun on objects, it increases accuracy dramatically.
  • if going into a building with a rifle, affix bayonet
  • generally keep to your class’ specialty. Riflemen shouldn’t clear buildings, SMGers shouldn’t do medium range combat.
  • don’t jump unless you have to. It eats half of your stamina and only makes you more visible.

I’m looking forward to more TG action tonight. Who knows, maybe some teamwork will emerge…

That is a huge reason I bought this game. I can’t stand it when jumping increases your effectiveness. I can take a little of it, as in Counterstrike, but not a lot of it, as in Halo 2.

What’s “commo rose”?

The popup HUD overlay (Q in BF2) which lets you easily do voice messages and spots enemies for the entire squad to see on the minimap (and calls in artillery or support, if you’re Squad Leader). Pretty much invaluable for inter-team enemy awareness.

No such crutch in RO of course.

Ah, ha!

Would you prefer to have a commo rose in RO? Or do you like the HARDCORE approach?

The original mod didn’t even have that tactical awareness map until a later version. I think having a map at spawn with a “you are here” (and then people having to use compass) wouldn’t have hurt them though.

Being able to spot enemies in the virtual world (where you can’t see out of your peripheral vision where the spotter is pointing, where you can’t even tell who your spotter is since all soldiers look alike, where you can’t rely on your squadmates to be even familiar with your voice) would be a useful help. The voice barks wouldn’t hurt, but I’d worry about people being overly reliant on them vs. VOIP.

I’m just not sure how to do it. I don’t want a minimap, and I wouldn’t want to immediately see the spotted person (likewise, I wouldn’t want my awesome hiding spot to be revealed to the entire opposing team just because one person saw it).

But I would really really like an ability to know that someone near ME just spotted an enemy, with a general direction and distance provided (“right, far” or “straight ahead, near” would be great) - I’m just not sure how to accomplish this. Putting a speaker icon over the speaker’s head (like in BF2/UT200x) would be a good start to overcoming the limitations of the screen.

So no, no commo rose definitely. But a few things could definitely be done to enhance team communications without sacrificing the holy grail of “realism” that the RO team is so hot for.

Yeah, I love this game as well.

I had a super freaking cool gaming moment last night, when I was creeping along a wall with my bolt action rifle. Suddenly a German ran around the corner into my view. We both rushed to look down the sights, but I did it quicker. I shot once, hitting him in the stomach. He went limp and fell to the ground as I was patting myself on the back. His death looked so realistic it could have been out o fa movie. So cool.