Red Wolf Moon

Starting to see the bottom of the moon going grey/black. Please post comments and pictures here.

Lookin’ pretty cool up there!

Its -10 F with the wind chill. But I can see it from all 3 of my sky lights. I might even setup my telescope :)

It’s no three wolf moon, but I guess it’s a’ight.

Conditions here were gorgeous up until about 10:45, at which point the scattered clouds gave way to fog. I could see the shadow just starting to cross the face of the moon before I lost it altogether.

Winter in Pennsylvania is not the astronomy season, alas.

Total eclipse! Looks great through my telescope - very red color this go round. Remember back when Pinatubo blew in the 90s and the moon was super dark during the eclipse, and no red at all!

I managed to get a glimpse of it after all, owing to a break in the clouds. No magnification, though—the angle would be really awkward for my little spotting scope.

Very nice!

The best I was able to get tonight. My battery died, it was sub zero, and I struggled mightily to get perfect focus with as dim as it was.

Girlfriend is currently outside taking pics but it’s not as clear as I was hoping. Sadly we just don’t have a camera to do it justice.

@Penny_Dreadful that pic is awesome.

Obviously a cell phone isn’t going to do much but I tried anyway before all the monsters respawned and chased me away.

That pic is excellent, @Penny_Dreadful.

I was out in the back yard watching. It was amazing how slowly it went- for like ten minutes the red moon was wearing a little bright hat, slowly shrinking down.

Quick handheld shot here!

For your listening enjoyment:

Can I get away with Pink Moon here?

This picture is just as the it is coming out of totality.

I got a telescope (or a promise of one) for Christmas. We picked it up on Saturday, and viewing the eclipse was the very first thing I did with this telescope. It came with a cell-phone bracket for taking pictures. I managed to get some pictures, but lesson learned. Trying to figure all of this out in wickedly cold temperatures in the dark was not smart.

It was a great night for observing from my area. It was completely cloudless, and the moon turned a nice shade of orangey red,

So the wife calls me today.

“You know how we were trying to take pictures of the moon with our phones? Why didn’t we use your DSLR?”

Good question.

I have a question. How come when I see the moon with my own eyes it looks quite large but when I take a picture of it with my cell phone (like in WhollySchmidt’s post) it’s very small? Do my eyes have some kind of special super magnification powers?