Redfall - Arkane's vampire hunting co-op opus

Looks more like a L4D co-op shooter with variable player powers rather than a borderlands looter shooter.

Unlike L4D though, they claim you can play it single player. And given their pedigree, I want to believe that!

But L4D and L4D2 both claimed otherwise.

Yeah, we’ll see. I’d like to think Arcane can pull it off somehow.

Yeah, one of the prime features of L4D1/2 is that is designed around coop, so you cover each other and etc. You can’t play it alone, as there are special zombies that trap you and then its’ game over. Which is why in single player you have the bots.

Here, they say it can be played in single player, and there are no bots. That means is more ‘relaxed’ style of coop, closer to say, Borderlands.

That sounds way better to me!

I knew most of Harvey Smith’s history here, but it was still fun to read again before getting to the new stuff in Redfall. Long read, or you can skip the short section on Redfall at the end.

Nice. That was all single player. Not a sign of another team member in that trailer. I like it! :)

That looked pretty good! But I vaguely recalled that this game didn’t look so good, so I scrolled up to the July 1 trailer and, yeah, there it was. Still a big ol’ meh from me.

Some games mentioned: Far Cry, Borderlands, Stalker…

If that’s true, they’ve done a really bad job at marketing this.

Wait, so its a single player / co-op game?

They did a terrible job marketing it. I’m still not sure how it plays. Until just now I did think it was left4dead. They put out videos saying “Nah bro, it’s an Arkane game, expect an immersive sim” but then didn’t show any of that.

I’m not sure it matters, anyway. It’ll be on Game Pass so I will certainly try it.

Xbox exclusive? Poops.

Huh, I thought it was obviously supposed to be Destiny, not L4D.

They mean it won’t appear on Playstation. Not that it won’t release on PC.

Oh, yay!

I can’t think of any recent or upcoming MS exclusives that didn’t/won’t launch on both Xbox and Windows.

Yeah, they committed to bringing everything to PC a while back, if they could. The only exceptions might be if they acquire a company or studio, and they were too late in development and not doing a PC version or some weird scenario like that.