Regiments: Microprose's Cold War RTS (think Massive Entertainment's World in Conflict!)

For $25 I might take a chance on it.

I’m not seeing it. I’ve peeked at a couple of videos this evening and it looked just as frenetic as the Eugen games. Also if what @Scotten reports about infinitely spawning enemies turns out to be true it’s probably going to be an instant no for me.

I’m going to have to listen to people here or actually watch more… I don’t really have patience for a 30 minute or 2 hour video when I could be playing something.

I tried out WARNO awhile ago and had to refund as it was just too bare-bones and obtuse for someone who has never played any of the games in their series before.

This looks like it ticks all the boxes:

• It is a full game, wow!
  • It is dedicated to single player.
  • The publisher is MicroProse

I don’t know. The way I’m playing it, it’s pretty nice and I don’t feel nearly as stressed vs. when I play any Eugen game. If you’re watching people micro’ing like mad, that’s just their playstyle. It’s not mine.

I have only played through the tutorials so far.

As far as frantic microing, I think it is pretty much up to the player.

You can slow time to .25, or accelerate it to 2.0. You can give orders while paused as well.

Yeah, I did all the tutorials, and while there are a few rough spots–the instructions could use some proofreading and editing, and it is not always clear whether your commands have been accepted (artillery strikes seem to be an offender here) but overall it seems pretty solid and straight-forward. Not the flashiest thing visually, but decent looking.

I’ll be buying, thanks for reminder.

In fairness to Warno (and SD/SD2) you can slow the speed way down and even pause. In Warno and SD2 the units have more automations you can select to reduce the need for micro (like if a unit gets fired on by a unit out of range or for which you cannot counter, you can automate popping smoke and reversing). I wish there was alot more, and I’m interested in how Regiments reduces the need to micro.

Another nice thing is you can set various advanced options for the Operations. Add extra time, adjust lethality, speed of units, range, accuracy, maybe others I don’t remember.

Looking forward to giving the second operation another shot. I think it is wanting me to approach it differently that I tried originally. More smash and run.

Protip: If you lose your only AA in the first phase… life is going to be much more unpleasant.

OK played this weekend and a few observations. I did one skirmish as the US, and the first of the operational phases.

1. No mid-battle save. UGH!

2. Macro for units is a bit less than Warno based on you control platoons and not individual units, and buildings and terrain are generallized. This means there is alot less of fiddling individual units to the exact right spot on a map.

3. But macro is increased due to the special features you get in addition to your units. So you are managing your normal army plus a bunch of important off-map assets like arty/airpower. Warno has less of this.

4. Damage modeling is unrealistic, but kinda fun. Its unrealistic in that it seems to initially be modeling purely DPS vs health (plus factors like cover, armor level, etc), and only when health is low you start seeing vehicles blown up. This is not realistic in that top hitters like the M1A1 should be able to one-shot most stuff except another top tank. Warno models all shots above say rifle/machine guns and the specific hit chance/penetration value. So WARNO tends to be all about creating ambushes to get one-shot opportunities. Regiments opens game play up a bit so while the big tanks are important the infantry has alot more staying power than WARNO.

5. Related to the above, the supply and retreat functions are also a bit gamey, but fun once I figured it out.

I’m finding Regiments a fun, beer&pretzels wargame

This.

Was finishing up clearing a phase. My veteran recon platoon spotted a unit of tanks. I called in an A-10 gun run on them, but, the contact disappeared.

I moved the recon platoon to try and get a spot on them again for the A-10s.

A few moments later I am missing a veteran recon platoon due to friendly air strike.

Looked at the time line afterwards and realized that the recon platoon (skorpion light tanks) had taken out the T64 unit pretty much right as I called the strike.

Oops.

I’ll have to remember the AF dudes are not particular, funny story!.

I tend to keep my supply train behind the warfighters. Depending on the battle in the supply train is a supply truck (duh), the mortars, and AA. Any tube artillery is even farther behind than that. So far I’ve only been using AA guns and not SAMs as the threat has been helos. Keep everything moving as the AI does like to drop arty on your REMFs

So I’ve played a few skirmishes now at medium difficulty, and its not too hard. I may need to bump up a notch.

However I’ve gotten to the 3rd battle in the campaign, and I cannot figure out how to make the objectives in time. Also medium difficulty. I could likely eventually win, but not within my time limit. Hmmmm

I’ve been playing some more, and there are some really good concepts and implementations in Regiments.

The fact that the game does not model tree by tree, building by building but by general area. This brilliantly reduces micromanagement without reducing the tactics of LOS, cover, etc.

The way the game models the units (platoons) as a single token, and not as individual tanks or squads similarly reduces micromanagement, but the mechanics of unit experience, retreating, and supply/repair adds some nice decision making to how you manage your units.

What I wish is there was more units/battlegroups. Not obscure stuff, but finish fleshing out unit lists for more countries

Hopefully that will be coming with dlc or updates

So am I correct that the game is just skirmishes, plus a linear sequence of canned missions as a campaign?

It’s certainly pretty:

Haven’t been able to do that sort of thing since, gosh, the World in Conflict games?

Hmm, no speed control, which is confusing because you guys were talking about speed control upthread, but that was apparently regarding a different game…

Still, I’m enjoying Microsoft’s A-10 Thunderbolts At War: Action Screenshot Generator.

Most likely talking about Warno upthread since it is Eugen’s new Wargame successor in early access. @tomchick speaking of World in Conflict, I wish Massive would take a shot at another RTS game.