Regulators say loot boxes are gambling. Australian study agrees.

Title Regulators say loot boxes are gambling. Australian study agrees.
Author Nick Diamon
Posted in News
When September 17, 2018

It's been a bad time for videogame loot boxes. Last week, Belgium began a criminal investigation into Electronic Arts' refusal to halt the sale of FIFA 18's Ultimate Team packs in that country..

Read the full article

I still maintain the distinction they’re drawing is more a matter of degree than kind and randomized card packs and such should really be treated the same. But I’ll settle for the end of lootboxes.

So no more diablo-type drop items when we kill bosses?

Or is it just commercial issues, aka paying for lootboxes?

As far as I understand it is the paying for lootboxes that is the issue.

In Belgium, yes. Different countries may take a different view on what crosses the line, based on the statutes in place and their general regulatory approach.

Also, as I say in the other thread, I think the joint declaration may be as much a self-justification for not having taken enforcement action as a threat to publishers (outside of certain game styles which are clearly gambling under any definition and which may get tougher scrutiny and licensing).

I agree, but I’d say it was the paid lootboxes that drew the scrutiny. Bosses were dropping randomized treasure literally for decades before regulators got interested.

The language in the post seem to be couched as a protection for children addiction though, highlighting the commercial aspect would have showed how hypocritical the politicians are in their allowing of lottery which is taxed heavily and not allowing gaming loot boxes which are taxed under a different regime.

The danger is that the unintended consequence is the heavy hand of regulation against games in general.