Reign of Fire

Well, we know in general what happens to it, but I would have liked to’ve seen it.

Enjoyed it a lot myself, although I thought the dragon’s effectivness aganist modern weaponary was pretty inconsistently depicted…

Were there any Puff the Magic Dragon jokes in the movie? “If only we could smoke those giant lizards the way we puff this magic dragon, dude, we’d be set. [inhales] Here ya go.”

C’mon, I’ve seen the promos. The future looks like shit. I’d be lighting up.

Just saw it…

The one thing that kept coming to mind for some reason was Waterworld. In that case, why spend $140 million if you’re gonna make a movie that looks like shit intentionally? In other words, the entire post-apocalyptic thing gets old fast.

So Reign of Fire gets a tepid, lukewarm reaction from me. It just didn’t light any kind of emotional fire (pun intended).

Too many logic holes too…

So where do they get the fuel, lubrication, and other spare parts to keep that chopper, the tank, etc, going?

So if the dragons eat ash, why does the big dragon snatching smaller dragons out of midair?

So, where does Isabela find all that makeup when there are no more Mary Kay ladies around?

Why bother having Dr. Bashir in your movie if he’s gonna say like 2 lines before getting killed. Poor Alexander Siddig, you just can’t break out.

Why the hell is the friggin over-the-top Wagnerian music (which is always a crutch in movies to make up for lack of suspense) SO FRIGGIN LOUD? They could have toned down the volume from 11. Seriously, if you’re trying to shake people up, do it with effective filmmaking, not low frequency bass vibrations.

Ack, glad I paid matinee.

It’s like every other B movie; If you apply logic to it, it’s going to suck. It’s the same thing with the Spiderman movie. If you question it, you ruin the whole fun of the movie. (reviews for “Eight Legged Freaks” are going to vary madly for this very same reason).

Some movies are just meant to be fun. It’s a lot like riding a roller coaster. If you sit back and enjoy it, it’s a great thrill. If you spend the whole ride wondering why that last turn wasn’t a little sharper, why the drop wasn’t a little longer, and trying to figure out the formula for the amount of gravity being exerted on your body through the whole ride, you’re probably not going to enjoy yourself.

But that’s just it… even ignoring the logic holes this movie just wasn’t that much fun. I’ve seen this movie before a dozen different times, just with a different actors and some different special effects.

The attempts at humor fell flat.

The action sequences just weren’t that great.

I instantly knew who was going to die and who was going to live.

Ho-hum.

Well, yeah, I can agree with those points. It’s not a movie I would pay to see a second time, but I don’t regret my first purchase.

As for the “who lives, who dies” thing, 2 people lived that I expected to die, and 1 died that I expected to live.

Then again, with the obvious Moby Dick parallel, I shouldn’t have been surprised.

Man…you folks overanalyze films like this. Just go and enjoy it. Don’t worry about who’s going to die, what parallels the movie has with others and whether or not that CG was done with an Amiga or a PC.

Any science fiction/fantasy will have its problems surviving real-world scrutiny. That’s why it’s called science FICTION.

–Dave

I’m with the “Just enjoy it for the cheesy summer B-movie that it is”. If your going to think think so much about the logic problems and such your wasting your time with a movie like this.

The Dragons looked cool. The best looking since the Dragonslayer.

Wait a minute? You’re saying you’re not supposed to overanalyze a film because it is fiction?

Not too bad of a movie though the ending was weak. I think I would have preferred a bigger ending. I’m still wondering where he got the horse to ride from London back to the castle though.

The problem with the movie was that it gave me time to overanalyze it. I (I’m ashamed to admit) enjoyed Independence Day, because it was just big goofy fun and there was always something going on. Likewise Lake Placid, the big dumb alligator movie. But in Reign of Fire, when I should have been thinking, “Who cares, look at all the friggin’ dragons!” instead I was suffering through bad dialog between Christian Bale and Isabella Scorupco. That left me with way to much time to think.

Rented this flick and saw it last night. Very good for a non-A list film. My only complaint is that the ending was too short. The final showdown is only the last 15 minutes of the film. Almost seems like they ran out of money or something.

-DavidCPA

Watched this on the plane the other day. One question: How does the single daddy dragon fertalize all the eggs around the world? All he seems to do is hang out in London.

I thought it was ok - I got it free so I guess it was worth what I paid.

Peristalsis.

Arise!

“The original script was a spec that was written by these guys who I don’t think had ever written anything before, like, these Wisconsin guys,” recalled screenwriter Matthew Greenberg. “I remember reading about it when it sold and thinking ‘Ah! Why didn’t I think of this? This is great!’ It sort of had to be written by people who weren’t in the film industry, because if you told anybody the pitch was ‘dragon apocalypse’ they’d be like ‘get the fuck out of my office!’” Those ‘Wisconsin guys’ Zanuck took a gamble on were Gregg Chabot and Kevin Peterka, who had never had anything made before Reign of Fire and have never had anything made since, only adding to the mystique.

I don’t have any particular love or hate for this movie. I just remember liking the bit where the community reenacts Star Wars for the kids.

I liked it quite a bit. The biology of the dragons was pretty silly though.

Everything else about it was actually pretty well done.

This is on Amazon Prime now. I couldn’t resist.

Hey, that’s the future Governor of Texas there. Show respect!