Rejoice non-Beta WoW players -> Release period announced

During a telephone interview with Blizzard’s Mike Morhaime:

Blizzard Entertainment has confirmed that World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King, the PC MMO’s second expansion, will launch between October and December of this year.
“We have said that it will be coming out this year,” Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime revealed in a conference call today. “I can tell you it’s not coming in the July to September quarter.”

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53963

January 2009 it is!

My thoughts exactly. Also: maybe I’ll hit level 70 before it comes out.

maybe “this year” means “this fiscal year”.

So True. Taking my first ever WoW break until then. I’ve been done for two weeks now but I’m already feeling the pull to resub (sad).

Don’t worry man I’m with you. Just think about all the shit in your inventory that will come back to greet you when you log in. It makes it much easier not to consider re-subbing that way.

Also think about how useless it is to play with WotLK so close.

I’ve never understood this attitude. You only play for loot?
Then why not wait until Blizzard releases the final wow expansion?
Maybe resub last week before they terminate the last running server?

My Guild’s still going strong with WotLK coming up. My hope is that when WotLK comes out, we’ll have killed Kalecgos a few times (currently learning Council).

We don’t play for the loot, we play for the fun, which means we’ll be playing until the day Wrath comes out, and then raiding once we hit 70! :)

I think it’s pretty sad that I’ve quit and rejoined WoW probably half a dozen times now. I’ve sold old accounts, given characters away, etc. However, despite all that, I’m now building a new desktop (I even went as far as giving my old desktop away to my sister) so that I can play WotLK. Well, I’m also interested in Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3. I’m basically building a Blizzard Machine ™.

To be fair to Redfive, I don’t know his situation, but I’ve played TBC since its launch. I’ve seen the content, did the raiding game with people I liked, played the hell out of it (as a priest doing attempts on Kalecgos), tried to go through SSC/TK again on a horde mage and decided that I didn’t want to do it anymore. I was leaving the game before I ever got into WotLK beta.

It’s too easy to assume I only played for loot, but truthfully I’m sick of both the content in TBC (of which I’ve seen 99% of it Horde and Alliance-side). If someone can re-run the same content as much as I have and still find the game fun, good for them, but I wasn’t going to do it anymore which is why I hung up my hat until WotLK.

If someone who has never fully played TBC is still playing, I can understand that, but to sit there doing the same content over and over, since its launch, seems stupid to me regardless of how much someone can delude themselves into thinking they’re having “fun.”

Not sure what that has to do with WotLK being close. If you’ve seen and done everything, you’ve seen and done everything. You’d be just as sick of the game if there weren’t a new expansion around the corner.

Sure, but if you know there’s a new expansion around the corner, now’s as good a time as any to recharge your batteries. Especially if you knew they were starting to run low.

Yeah, Blizzard has said in the past that they are counting active accounts when they give out numbers.

Their subscription numbers are pretty fair. They only count active accounts in regions that use active accounts. In APAC (asia and the like) where you pay by the minute, they count accounts where the owners have logged in and played in the last 30 days.