Relic's Space Marine

I’m almost certain you only get a bolt pistol and bolter in the demo.

I wouldn’t call it a slog. It’s repetitive, but it’s a good time. Perfect for the summer doldrums when there aren’t a lot of new games coming out.

And a sniper, and a grenade launcher.

Okay I must be remembering it wrong. I guess you just get better ranged weapons than what they give you in the demo.

I think you’re still remembering it wrong. At that point in the game (first part of the demo) you don’t have the plasma pistol, lascannon, melta or any of the other more advanced weapons. You just have the four they give to you.

Wow is the multiplayer super broken, maps don’t end due to the countdown freezing, horrible lag (hit someone and wait 5 seconds till it registers and they die), and 8 host migrations. 8!!!

I saw all the DLC is on sale on Amazon, my temptation to get it passed quickly.

Can of you W40K gurus identify Nemeroth’s legion/chapter? I’m proud of myself for merely managing to recognize Terminator armor. I think he had the Chaos Unbounded tattoo on his face also. Maybe.

I don’t think there was anything to identify.

The Traitor Legions aren’t as neatly organised as Space Marine Chapters. All of them have at least partially scattered into myriad warbands, and many or most of those no longer have any affiliation with their original Legion (or any Legion).

Nemeroth did have a Chaos Star tattooed on his face, but the Chaos Star is simply the symbol for chaos, nothing more specific than that (in GWs universes anyway - they kind of lifted the symbol from someone else’s fantasy universe).

Finally, the Traitor Legions are really all about destroying the Imperium of Man or transforming it into something Very Very Bad. Nemeroth’s ambitions didn’t seem to extend beyond personal ascension, which isn’t something the actual Legions would normally get involved in.

Finally finished this one’s campaign mode 2 years after the fact. Like the games but really despise the “grimdark” BS of the whole GW franchise.

How so? Too pessimistic, too self-serious, too ludicrous?

I just bought an Xbox 360 controller so I can start playing the PC versions of this game and Darksiders (and maybe even X-com) from the couch.

Am I correct in assuming that this game plays better with a game pad than a mouse and keyboard?

hmm I played the entire game with KB+M , was fine. Multiplayer in this game was so much fun, I wonder if its dead now. :(

Pretty much.

Having long ago abandoned the GW tabletop games to poor game design and greed, I still enjoy the universe in novels or video games. To that end I really liked Space Marine as one of the better ways to walk in ‘the grim, dark future where there is only war.’ I suppose it could be a turn off to some, but that seems like looking at a Superman game and nit picking that some guy with crazy powerful abilities thought it was a good idea to throw on spandex and a cape while adhering to a Pleasantville level wierd goody two shoes personality. But admittedly I am biased as my game names are derived from a fascination with WH40K Chaplains and a love for Buster Keaton or Charlie Chaplin movies.

I played it with joypad on PC and really liked it that way.

The game play on this is decent enough, but I think Relic fell into the trap thinking just because something is decent that must mean we need to give the player a while bunch of it. If each level were about half as big I’d be happy. It’s nice when they throw a curve ball in there, like working the turret on the Valkyrie. I’m on chapter 12 out of 17, about 8 hours of playtime and I wish things were moving along faster. It’s a shame, because the game is OK.

Wow, I’d forgotten this existed. From this thread, it seems I really enjoyed the demo, but only for gameplay reasons. I did eventually buy the game when it was in the bargain bin. But never got around to playing it.

If they add it to Backwards Compatibility, I’ll likely play it. It sounds like I had a lot of fun with the demo on Hard difficulty.

This game is just the best. I played through a couple of times and dabbled with the multiplayer. Between this and Dawn of War 2 I was made a WH40K convert. Would be cool to get on 360 back compat, though.

i thought the story was over too soon but some of the levels dragged in repetitiveness.

This game definitely captured the feeling, or at least what I imagine that feeling is, of being a big lumbering Space Marine armed to the teeth. I don’t think I ever beat the end boss. I couldn’t Hammer-Whack everything quickly enough and just got overwhelmed :(

The Multiplayer on it was pretty fun though. There’s something satisfying about using a assault jump pack to hammer-whack someone into the ground.

Finished. I had to try that final conflict 3-4 times.

Maybe I would have liked it more if I were a big Warhammer fan. It was OK. It definitely could have used more variety, both in enemies and moreso in the environments. They did do a decent job in creating parts of the game where different tactics we needed.