Reminiscence - Hugh Jackman goes all Inception with Lisa Joy (Westworld)

Bring a pillow and drool towel.

Wikipedia says it was Alexandre Dumas.

Anyway, I did rewatch Strange Days, and

This is undeniably true, it’s a dark movie. But I think it holds up very well. Well, except for maybe Tom Sizemore with long blonde hair. It is sort of funny watching it in 2021 for two reasons: one, cell phones do exist, but they aren’t video cameras. The only way to record something is with a Brainstorm-style brain recorder.

The second reason is kind of P&R, and is also major spoilers for Strange Days, so I’ll spoiler it:

It’s a bit, uh, quaint in 2021 to think that a recording of a white cop killing an innocent Black man
would have any kind of world-shaking effect. I mean, we’ve had that, multiple times, but nothing seems to change.

Anyway, yeah, Reminiscence stole a lot of the plot from Strange Days. Not all of it, but the basic premise. And Angela Basset’s speech “Memories were meant to fade” is lifted almost in its entirety, including that exact line used in both movies.

Oh, man, I’d forgotten about that part of Strange Days. Quaint, indeed, even downright naive.

-Tom

Ah, Strange Days… back when Ralph Fiennes was Bradley Cooper and Juliette Lewis watched herself having rough sex with herself in VR.

Doesn’t Cyberpunk 2077 have a whole plotline that is also lifted wholesale from Strange Days involving snuff braindance? This is the year of Strange Days ripoffs.