Remnants of the Precursors: Master of Orion, but modern, free, and smart

Double excellent!

Fantastic!

Over in the RPG Codex Ray said he wasn’t going to stop tweaking the AI until he has “tasted power gamer tears.”

Bless your heart, Ray.

There’s a lot of work to do with the AI to get to that point, but serious development on the AI was always contingent upon the game’s feature set being locked. There is still a tremendous amount of artwork and polish planned during the beta and literally all I have to do at this point is fix bugs and work on the AI.

It’s going to be a glorious holiday for me.

And if that’s not enough, I’ve structured the AI classes to make it easier to incorporate a community-developed AI into the game.

Great news! Looking forward to it.

That’s awesome. I’m a little skeptical that good AI will elicit any power-gamer tears. I think for most 4x strategy fans, an AI that can provide a strong challenge without the distorting effects of heavy bonuses would be heaven.

eliciting power-gamer tears is already super easy. They just need to lose a game. However, the tears are always about race imbalance or “got screwed by the RNG”, as opposed to the AI.

This is beautiful.

Ray, I listened to the podcast while doing socially distant yardwork and got pretty excited about tomorrow’s beta. I only ever dipped my toe in MoO1. Do we download from the site? Where do we send dollar bills?

The build should be available at itch.io.
I have no idea how to give him some money though. Maybe when it’s released on steam?

Ray can speak for himself, but IIRC he’s explicitly not interested in taking anyone’s money.

If that’s the case, maybe he has a charity or Patreon he’d like donations to go to instead?

Money corrupts the creative process. If you need to take it, then you should. But glittering prizes and endless compromises shatter the illusion of integrity.

Yeah.

Gosh. One of my favourite Rush songs.

Hey guys, it’s finally here. After 5 years, Remnants of the Precursors is feature complete and is starting an open beta and is open-sourcing its code. Read the details here:

Congratulations!!

Off to download now.

Just starting out but seems pretty good so far. Moo1 is really such a strong core design. Love the UI improvement, graphics and diplomatic messages.

Love the UI improvement, graphics and diplomatic messages.

If I had to pick JUST ONE thing I did correctly with this project, it would be realizing that there were many things that needed to be done with the game that I was not good at and so I needed to hire a professional to do them for me. So, in response to your comment, I will pass your praise onto the graphic designer, the illustrator and the writer! I am greatly indebted to their contributions!

I have just dabbled a bit today with it, and this is amazing.
My only regret, is that the “Expand” track of the Alpha is gone. I loved that music to bits, it set for such a peculiar mood that really fitted perfectly the Master of Orion spirit to me. Is there a way to get it back?

Speaking of musics, I also noticed that after some events, the music will cut off for a little bit, until it is sort of “reinitiated” after another one and plays again.
In the same (?) way, the opening screen only played the first time I opened the game. Every subsequent time it is just silent.
I’m playing on a Mac.

I’m still in the process of listening to the podcast and I really loved the opinions you expressed Ray. Did you write anything about Master of Orion you could share? (and if not, you should!)

How do you adjust the size of the window, or get it to full screen?

You can’t full screen it, but there is an “Expand/Shrink” option on the top left of the main menu. If you select that and restart, it will remember the size setting for future games.