Remnants of the Precursors: Master of Orion, but modern, free, and smart

Lots and lots of stuff added since the Beta 2 release on Christmas. The most visible one is support for full-screen mode, but there are tons of “quality of life” features added. Many more are coming as a result of a “Last Call for requests” made on the subreddit which ended up being the most-commented post on the subreddit.

Here’s a comprehensive change log since the Beta release to give you an idea of what’s been happening: https://www.reddit.com/r/rotp/comments/l5udte/beta_211_first_pass_at_last_call_requests/

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their input. You have all made ROTP a better game as a result!

Good news, Ray! Thanks for the update.

Older discussion, but I’m pretty sure that 99.99% of any Java code would work fine on ART and also the prior Dalvik VM. Both are and were open-source, incidentally - so I don’t really see how they can be considered proprietary.

That’s… a take. Last I saw, though, the lawsuit was not settled, and the last ruling favored Oracle. Though I’m not sure why you’d think that to be a good thing, given that Oracle’s interest here is 100% to reduce interoperability in the software world. There’s a reason Microsoft, Red Hat, IBM, and a ton of the greatest minds in computer science (including Cerf, Feldman, Hejlsberg, Kernighan, Stroustrup, Torvalds, etc, etc) have filed briefs supporting Google’s position in the case…

Back to the questions about porting, I think a Java game implementation should be trivially easy to port to Android, other than the actual UI code itself. The latter would be problematic no matter what native framework you use though - PC’s, for all their differences, have fairly identical architectures. Mobile devices don’t - the problem with porting to the latter is not that of having to go from mouse and keyboard/graphics card to touch screen hardware/middleware; it is that you have to deal with a 1000 different combinations of touch screen/buttons hardware/middleware in 100s of different configurations each (at least in the Android ecosystem) - and even Android’s pretty good “native” libraries don’t 100% insulate one from that.

LibGdx is pretty awesome, btw. But reimplementing stuff is rarely a good idea, unless there is some additional benefit to doing so.

Yeah, but that is literally the most complicated part of just about any game.

Heh - don’t know if I’d call it the most complicated part (I think AI takes the cake - or can, at least, in many strategy games), but it’s certainly one of the most boring and time-consuming parts of a most games. At least in my opinion - I’m sure there are some people who absolutely love tweaking a UI for hours until that button is placed on just-the-right-pixel on every display size known to man.

Well, it’s not about pixel placement or anything like that. It’s about creating intricate UI behaviors that make it easier to navigate through something as complex as a 4X game.

It’s a real pain in the rear, sometimes, because it’s not always obvious how to make things accessible to the average user. I spend far more time working on the UI than I have ever spent on the relatively straightforward domain code.

OK, first off I swear I’ve had a fair amount of coffee this morning.

I download the file, I unzip it into a folder on my desktop, I opened it up and I looked in every single sub folder and never found “Remnants.jar”.

P.S. And yes on the remote possibility I didn’t have java 64 installed and that might it not list or run properly I hit the link and installed that too first.

You don’t unzip the file. The file you downloaded is the “Remnants.jar” file.

What is probably happening is that you have *.jar file types associated with an unzip program instead of Java.

Yep, that’s probably it, hmm, now I have to figure out how to un-do that.

Tried changing what it was pointed to but when I search for java in the directory it installed to nothing shows up.

I made this a bit harder than it needed to be. More coffee needed.

edit: associated what should open it with java but still doesn’t open.

If you are on Windows, you can right-click the Remnant.jar file and select “Properties”.

Then on the “Open With” press the “Change” button. If Java isn’t in the list, go to the bottom and select “Look for Another App on this PC”. Searching for “Java” shoud take you to the Java directory. In the Java “bin” directory, you should find the “Java” executable.

edit: associated what should open it with java but still doesn’t open

hmm, ok. Open up a cmd tool and cd to the directory with the Remnants.jar file. Run the following command: “java -jar Remnants.jar”

bravo, that last bit worked

amusing to go to cmd to do something to run a game, reminds me of running a bbs

You shouldn’t have to do that. If the cmd worked then that means java is installed properly on your PC. So the question is what is missing that’s preventing the double-click from starting the game?

When it comes to allocating spending what does the classification reserve mean?

I colonized a barren planet and I’m at zero industry and want to get that going but when I move the bar on this category no matter what I put it at the category just says reserve rather than give you a year number for completion.

Industry spending builds factories, which increase overall industrial output. There is a limit to how many factories you can build, however, and any industry spending beyond that limit will go to your empire’s reserve fund (basically the treasury).

How many factories do you already have on that planet?

Well, first off thanks for getting back to me, I realize this is just going to be a parade of dumb by me. Didn’t play MOO when it came out, no idea why, and I’m just at the beginning of Ben from explorminate going thru the game in a tutorial series from about a year ago.

Anyway, the thing I was wondering about is why a planet with zero industry immediately says reserve instead of building industry? I mean unless that’s not what this is telling me:

You already have 60 factories which is max for this planet early game (2 per max pop) for most races. Anything you put in industry over max goes into reserve. There are techs that raise this.

Thanks! Told you it was dumb. I guess maybe I expected something like 60/60 to be listed, like the way pop is showing 28/30. Guess I’ll soon see if that changes to just 30 when it’s maxed.

It does show x/60 until it gets to the max. You’ll see population and bases do the same thing.

I hope that you are enjoying the game!

edit: Also note that your total production on that planet is 79 BC (76 after taxes). That amount is what controls how fast things are constructed in that system.

To increase it, you’ll need to acquire technologies that allow you to build more factories per population, or technologies that allow you to put more population on the planet… Preferably both!

Yes! This is fantastic. Put it on steam so I can buy it! I feel bad playing this for free.

I prefer to avoid digital distribution. Once the game is finished and Tom has finished the game manual, there’s a good chance we’ll try to do some sort of physical boxed set. If you are still enjoying the game at that point, then maybe you’ll find that an attractive option.