Remnants of the Precursors: Master of Orion, but modern, free, and smart

The Abandon Colony option is there to save population if you know you are going to lose the planet, and it can also be used diplomatically to lessen the effect of paranoia.

Yeah, this is the space crystal and it’s just too early really.

Abandon colony still leaves dead planets I can’t currently recolonize.

Not opposed to the game concept, it simply shows up too early.

version 2.17 is now out.

The key upgrade in this version is there are now 3 selectable AIs to play against: the base AI plus two tougher AIs made by modders.

“Modnar” has made a tougher AI that remains immersive in gameplay while “Xilmi” (better known as AIL of Pandora fame) has made a tough AI that ignores personality and plays to win.

There are other improvements as well. Patch notes here:

Also, for @inactive_user I have added a “Hover Sensitivity” setting that can be used to tone down the rate of refreshing when hovering around the map.

Cool, downloading now to continue with my current campaign!

Looking for translators:

Am i reading this right in that you want translators for Russian and Spanish?

My partner can do both for you, and is also a gamer.

No, we have Russian and Spanish already.

Do you need Canadian?

nope. I’ve got a toggle that already adds “, eh?” to the end of all alien dialogue.

Hey! Don’t underestimate the effort it takes to add “u” to “saviour” and “labour.”

fixed that for you

Shame!

Anyway, it’s good you are doing this.

FYI

So a listserv?

No. It’s just a mailing list on my Thunderbird client.

If people want to set up an ROTP listserv, that would be cool. But this mailing list is intended to be low-impact for subscribers. I can only think of 4 emails that you will receive over the next two years.

• Confirmation of your request to join

• ROTP 1.0 release notice

• Crowdfunding campaign for the boxed set

• Crowdfunding campaign for the sourcebook

For privacy reasons, I don’t want to rely on 3rd-party applications to maintain the list.

This AI is an absolute bitch, even on normal. I can win routinely on the base AI and on modnar’s AI, but the unmitigated aggression of Xilimi’s AI is something else. Two thumbs up although it’s sad to hear he ignores personality.

Definitely try Xilimi’s AI from the base game for a challenge. @easytarget you’ll probably even want to keep monsters on, to slow the leaders a little.

Yeah, not sure I’m up for that AI. I enjoy the challenge presented by the base AI with personalities just fine.

But it did make me chuckle the idea of recommending monsters on in order to help handle the AI races because my assumption is I’d now just have 2 monsters and the AIs coming at me together. The monsters ate my empire and by extension campaign not once but twice, at which point I turned them off and left them off. ;)

Would make for short games though, I’ll give you that!

This same sort of game ending events are in SotS too, makes me wonder what game devs were thinking back then when they came up with these.

Some of my favourite memories from comes from desperately researching and fielding an appropriate counter fleet to one of those monstrosities, and hopefully coming out ahead - or less behind - than everyone else after the great apocalypse.

That event with the locusts that devoured the galaxy and spread from planet to planet was especially “exciting”.

If they come up at a point where there’s even a desperate hope of combating them I agree it can definitely add some excitement and I get the idea.

My encounters thus far with the space monsters in ROTP have been at a point where my technology was not up to the task of taking them on whatsoever, so the only hope was basically just RNG as to whether they stuck around and ate my empire or wandered off and ate someone else’s.

So could be I’m just quibbling about timing.

I turned monsters off in SOTS, mainly because I could handle them better than the AI.